rockfish Posted February 26, 2005 Posted February 26, 2005 What do I need to take some really good pics of my Hamer's ???I really have no idea, and the selection is overwhelming. I don't want to spend a fortune, and don't think I need a really expensive model........but I don't want to buy something that's going to take crappy pics either.Most of you guys take AWESOME pics...........so I trust your input.rockfish
SteveB Posted February 26, 2005 Posted February 26, 2005 Its not really the camera, as much as the technique. You don't need boucoux megapixels for just doing web stuff either. If you want the "BCR Style upskirt" closeups, it probably helps to have a camera with a Macro setting on it so you can focus close. Alot of the point and shoots have pretty good little lenses. I would also look for something with a decent OPTICAL zoom capability as well. Electronic zoom sucks, so ignore that. I'd personally look at Nikon and Canon. Never shoot guitars with on camera flash if you want it to look good. Better to use natural lighting or off camera flash diffused somewhat and coming off the camera axis. Move around the guitar and even move the guitar around in the light to see where it shows off best and take the pic. This was propped on a table with a grey background, off camera flash with a softbox. BCRGreg, who has definately become a pro at the guitar shots, usually shoots in natural light I think. I also like to use flash so I can position it specifically to show off contours.
rockfish Posted February 26, 2005 Author Posted February 26, 2005 umm............nice guitars ! rockfish
custom53 Posted February 27, 2005 Posted February 27, 2005 Very nice EBMM Silhouette. Wish I would have kept mine...
gwayne Posted February 27, 2005 Posted February 27, 2005 What do I need to take some really good pics of my Hamer's ???I really have no idea, and the selection is overwhelming. I don't want to spend a fortune, and don't think I need a really expensive model........but I don't want to buy something that's going to take crappy pics either.Most of you guys take AWESOME pics...........so I trust your inputrockfish I just picked up a Sony CyberShot 5.1 and I've gotten fantsatic results with it. It was $299 at BestBuy. It has the Macro feature as well as a Zeiss lens. If you want, I can e-mail you soem pics I took with it.
Lockbody Posted February 27, 2005 Posted February 27, 2005 I just picked up a Sony CyberShot 5.1 and I've gotten fantsatic results with it. It was $299 at BestBuy. It has the Macro feature as well as a Zeiss lens. If you want, I can e-mail you soem pics I took with it. I'll second the Cybershot 5.1 with the Zeiss lens. I called my wife (photog) from BestBuy with the options and she said "Buy the lens".Could not be more pleased.Cons:Kinda weak flash and lacks optical zoom (x)power of some other makes.
BadgerDave Posted February 27, 2005 Posted February 27, 2005 I use an Olympus Camedia 3040. I know absolutely nothing about photography, but this camera is very forgiving. I use natrual light and sometimes a workshop floodlight or two, no flash, macro mode, center focus. I also shoot a lot of photos and sift through them for the best ones. Sometimes you get lucky:
quik Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 That Californian is drop dead gorgeous. Great photography, too. Thanks for posting that pic.
JJ Paul Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 Now if only Turbo Gerbil would show us some true beaver pics, we'd all be happy, right Steve?I mean - of all those dancers you capture on film, there must have been some that have volunteered to be er...humm... aww...Let's see 'em pics, fer chrissie's sake!!!
sw686blue Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 I have a Canon A60 (2 Megapixels) that takes awesome pictures. If you decide to print large formats (8 x 11, etc) I would recommend the Canon A85 or A95, 4 and 5 Megapixels respectively. Nick
tobereeno Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 I've got a Sony DSC-T1; it's probably my ass-poor camera technique but I've found it to not be all that amazing. fwiw, although it's 5 megapixels, I rarely, well, basically never shoot at that resolution - the images are too big and unwieldy to futz with on the ol computer.nice compact camera though, and the giant LCD kills.
Pete Galati Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 I use a Canon Powershot A60 which will do 2.0 megapixles, which is generally good enough for pictures on the internet, because I have to crop each picture, and resize it so that it fits on the monitor before uploading it. But it's easy to get digital cameras with better resolution
Hamer95USA Posted February 28, 2005 Posted February 28, 2005 Hey rockfish, I purchased my first digital camera back in June last year, a Canon Power Shot A80 at Best Buy. I had a relative working there and got a discount on it. It's a killer camera, has about 4 megapixels and I can definitely send cool guitar shots or overall pictures to my family or friends. Check out the reviews on www.cnet.com if you're looking for a good digital camera. I would have to agree with the other board members that taking shots of the guitars in natural light is much nicer than using the built in flash. Guitar George
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.