Steve Haynie Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 There is a four digit serial number in the photo of the back of the headstock.http://www.ebay.com/itm/230907278177?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
polara Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 That one is gonna raise some interest. 0408. Looks clean, too.
senmen Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Yeah, looks very clean and seems to be with the original owner.
mc2 Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 I'd tried dealing with the seller over the last couple of months. Claims to be a friend of the owner and doesn't have the actual bass. Spoke to him via phone...maybe Indian/Paki accent? Wanted ONLY a money order or bank transfer but gave me his "family business website" to "prove he was legit"...a weapons and survival gear site. So, I offered to pay via debit/CC card thru his website/business but he said he could not do that and still would only take cash/bank check. I wasn't comfortable enough to jump.
senmen Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Jon, many thanks for the shared info ... really helpful considering.....Take care....Oliver
Steve Haynie Posted January 3, 2013 Author Posted January 3, 2013 The seller has low feedback and nothing seems to have sold for more than $225 or so. Thanks for the heads up, Jon.
cmatthes Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 My primary concern is that it is an '80s single truss rod 12'ver, and the pics don't show it fully strung up and under full tension.I'd be too concerned about neck issues to jump at that price.
mc2 Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Yeah, when I first asked about it only having a few strings on it and if the neck was OK...he said they owner took some stings off to use on another bass. My concern was.... 1) looks like it was never used much 2) most of the strings off a single-truss neck to tension for 12 strings for 30+ years = possible permanent backbow or bad neck from way back.I could not get any real informed answers for the guy...or more photos...or talk to the alleged "actual owner"...in some two montsh of emails and phone conversations.The EBAY pics are the same CL pics from two montsh ago.I emailed the seller again via EBAY, so he knows it is me again. If he blows me off or doesn't reply, then I would say it is definitely bogus.UPDATE: The seller emailed me back...also called me, so apparently he did still have my number. Said he'd sell it for $3000, which is more than we had a deal for. Also said he has a few people who want it...the same thing he said since October, before EBAY...only those were "local buyers coming to see it." Also said he'd rather not sell it on EBAY. I wished him good luck. Wonder why none of the local buyers who went to see it bought it the last few months? His name is Basheer.
MCChris Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 I emailed the seller again via EBAY, so he knows it is me again. If he blows me off or doesn't reply, then I would say it is definitely bogus.Your initial dealings with this guy should have convinced you of that already.In the words of John Rambo: Let it go. Let. It. Go.
kizanski Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 I emailed the seller again via EBAY, so he knows it is me again. If he blows me off or doesn't reply, then I would say it is definitely bogus. Your initial dealings with this guy should have convinced you of that already. In the words of John Rambo: Let it go. Let. It. Go. NOTHING IS OVER!!
rj2858 Posted January 4, 2013 Posted January 4, 2013 His name is Basheer.Probably spelled "Bashir"Maybe it's Martin Bashir.At least that would explain the less than honest reporting
gatorbyte007 Posted January 4, 2013 Posted January 4, 2013 I was hoping you guys would keep talking bad about it..... So I could buy it!
andrew m Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 This is the one that has been on my local craiglist for the last few months for 2500.00. I posted the link at the same time I picked up the Impact 5.anyone want me to investigate more??
Hamer Dave Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 I've an 8 string near that serial #. Mine has the checkerboard logo though. Guessing 1982-ish? The tension of a 12'ver on a single rod must be insane. Even on the 8 string, it seems the truss rod nut is slipping further inward. Just picked up some washers, to shim the nut to where I think it ought to be. To be safe, I use what I call the 'Rickenbacker' persuasion technique, whenever tightening the rod.
senmen Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 Well, I also had contact with that seller, did tell me, that the wanted to let it go for 2500 bucks at a direct price. I asked him to send me more and better pictures, he promised to, but never got them.....So I still have my doubts with that person....Jon, any news from your side?Oliver
kizanski Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 Are those toggles original? And what about that dot behind the toggle? Is that an LED, a knot in the wood, or a plugged hole?
cmatthes Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 The "offset" toggles are likely correct - there's a coil switch and the other one switches on the preamp (the LED behind the toggle lights up when that's engaged).Still not enough to keep my interest - enough sketchiness going on there, and I've seen enough of those single truss 8s and 12s buggered to be comfortable getting one from an uncooperative seller.
andrew m Posted January 5, 2013 Posted January 5, 2013 This is the one that has been on my local craiglist for the last few months for 2500.00. I posted the link at the same time I picked up the Impact 5.anyone want me to investigate more??Seeing as he is sounding suspicious and against all the goodness that the HFC is,,,,Shall I egg his house instead?
senmen Posted January 10, 2013 Posted January 10, 2013 No, not me. Went up to 3K, but I think Jon is the happy one....
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.