Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Steve Stevens ?

Uglyfuzzface

Question

Hi ,,, I have a Steve Stevens guitar and having trouble dating it ...it doesn't have a serial number on the back of the headstock and my guitar tech seems to think the paint work is original so maybe not re finished..

However when I opened the trem cavity and control cavity it had hand written numbers ( both the same ) one had a symbol next to it .. Did hamer ever do this from the factory? .

It also had a sticker on the back of the head stock from the original importers in the UK from the 80s so looks like it left the shop like that ..

Will post some pics , any help would be great thanks .

My guess is a refin and the painter or his commissioner wrote the serial number in the trem cavity for record.

Serial in the cavity wasn't from the factory. The photo with the dealer sticker looks like the serial # has been painted over, but that's not visible in the shot w/o the label.

Very late February or very early March (last work day/first or second workday of each month) based on that serial #.

There seem to be a higher than average number of Steve Stevens out there (as compared to other Hamers) with headstock cracks/breaks so another possibility is that a headstock crack was repaired at some point and the serial number got lost in the touch up process. It does seem like red is the original color but if you look at the chips around the trem cavity cover you can see wood but if you look on the headstock there seems to be chips with red underneath. On the other hand I could be completely wrong! :-)

The firm all bang and strummit were importers of hamer to the UK in the 80s so good chance it left the shop like that ,,, if it has been refinished it may have been at the shop ,,, it's a damn good re fin if it is and looks like if it was it would have been done in the 80s

Yes ,,, just had it off to get set up ,,, might just keep it but can't decide ... I had a few people ask about the serial number so when I started looking into it I didn't know what to tell them , as I wouldn't want to sell something with a wrong description.

Yep - it's DEFINITELY a refin.

Totally Zig Zag that one!

Archived