Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shishkov's For Sale

Ting Ho Dung

On 10. März 2016 at 2:10 PM, hamerhead said:

Just like you, Shawn!

On 10. März 2016 at 2:16 PM, kizanski said:

No, he had major wood above the neck area.

On 10. März 2016 at 2:20 PM, hamerhead said:

Well yeah, it's probably chambered too, but I didn't want to be mean.

I really like the expert views on here. :P

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2016 at 5:06 PM, MCChris said:

Only a dedicated moron would go to the extra effort of adding a keystroke to erroneously indicate a plural.

On 2/3/2016 at 6:31 PM, donner said:

Isn't that called something like „greengrocer's apostrophe“?  We German's say „Deppenapostroph“.

On 2/4/2016 at 11:34 AM, BadgerDave said:

I call it the "TGP apostrophe"

On 2/4/2016 at 1:04 PM, kizanski said:

The The Gear Page Apostrophe?

On 2/4/2016 at 5:41 PM, JohnnyB said:

I call it "the last 2 generations of K-12 teachers didn't know the difference and let everyone drift" apostrophe.

Y'all keep a tight ass.

Ahhh...

;)

Well, that's KIND OF what Daltrey said..

;)

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Well, that's KIND OF what Daltrey said..

;)

"Hope I get a lotta guitars before I get old". (???)

On April 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Y'all keep a tight ass.

Two of the detractors are a professional writer and a professional editor. Keeping track of plural forms and apostrophes is not rocket science. In the last decade or two we old guys have watched the deterioration--and near collapse--of such grammar basics as possessive forms, plural forms, and the unwarranted conflation of the two. 

29 minutes ago, cynic said:

All the more reason to embrace it.  If everyone did it right, they'd both be out of work.

That's like telling an engine mechanic that if everyone knew how to use a screwdriver he'd be out of business.

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Two of the detractors are a professional writer and a professional editor. Keeping track of plural forms and apostrophes is not rocket science. In the last decade or two we old guys have watched the deterioration--and near collapse--of such grammar basics as possessive formes, plural forms, and the unwarranted conflation of the two. 

I failed English all through school. Couldn't tell you what a predicate is or what be is. I just never got it and fell behind from first grade on. Spent my Senior year in trade school in an agreement to avoid jail time. I've learned over time to look for patterns in sentences and get it correct most of the time. I couldn't make it without spell check and attribute it to mild dyslexia. I've learned just enough to do me harm on singular possessive and plural possessive. Shishkov's for sale looked like a possessive to me. '

'

1 hour ago, cynic said:

No, it's like telling an engine mechanic that if everyone knew how to fix engines he'd be out of business.

So, in your mind, keeping plural and possessive forms sorted out is the only skill required for professional writing and editing?

Nope; that's the equivalent of basic screwdriver knowledge.

Plural nouns don't get an apostrophe.  Possessive nouns get apostrophes (in most cases).

If you have a guitar and also have 6 more, you have 7 guitars.

If only one of those guitars is a Heritage, that guitar's headstock is ugly as hell.  The other guitars are just fine.

If Shishkov Guitars, USA had been for sale, you could have used the contraction, "Shishkov's for sale" (Shishkov is for sale), but that's not the case, fortunately!

Think of us as "Grammar Mechanics" instead of "Grammar Nazis".

12 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

So, in your mind, keeping plural and possessive forms sorted out is the only skill required for professional writing and editing?

Nope; that's the equivalent of basic screwdriver knowledge.

I clearly don't do "it" well enough to help you understand I meant writing in general, so yeah, engine mechanic and people that can fix engines.

Here's the thing....the internet is full of first drafts.  Show me a writer that makes money off his first drafts.

Raise your hand if you didn't know what Thorn meant.....

Anyone?

Anyone?

12 hours ago, cynic said:

I clearly don't do "it" well enough to help you understand I meant writing in general, so yeah, engine mechanic and people that can fix engines.

Here's the thing....the internet is full of first drafts.  Show me a writer that makes money off his first drafts.

Raise your hand if you didn't know what Thorn meant.....

Anyone?

Anyone?

Writing in general wasn't the issue in the thread. It's the fundamental task of keeping possessives and plural forms straight. In the school system I grew up in, it was drilled into us in 2nd and 3rd grade. From then on we could count on getting our grades dinged if we didn't keep it straight. 

And as far as writing goes, Thorn is an excellent writer. He writes things that come from impossibly complex emotional situations in a way that deeply move me.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Writing in general wasn't the issue in the thread. It's the fundamental task of keeping possessives and plural forms straight.

Which is why i JUST explained I wasn't clear enough to help you understand what I meant.

You still know what Thorn meant, so the point of all this is.....?

Edited to add....my weather forecast is showing thunderstorms most of the day which means I'm stuck at this computer so my neurotic dog can find some comfort being sandwiched between me and the back of the chair.  You won't get the last word on this one. :)

Just now, cynic said:

Which is why i JUST explained I wasn't clear enough to help you understand what I meant.

Is a noisy recording just as good as a quiet one? After all, you can still make out the tune.

The point is that general knowledge of proper use of apostrophes seems to have left the building over the last 15 years.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The point is that general knowledge of proper use of apostrophes seems to have left the building over the last 15 years.

Things are only proper until they're not.  Humans made the rules, humans will change the rules.  If we only ever used things as instructed, we'd never have innovation.

“It ain’t whatcha write, it’s the way atcha write it.”
—Jack Kerouac

55 minutes ago, cynic said:

My question stands: If you're gonna be wrong, why not do so with the fewest keystrokes (and thus the least effort) possible?

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Things are only proper until they're not.  Humans made the rules, humans will change the rules.  If we only ever used things as instructed, we'd never have innovation.

“It ain’t whatcha write, it’s the way atcha write it.”
—Jack Kerouac

Innovations evolve when the new way is more economical and/or more clear. Apostrophe slop is two steps in the wrong direction: it creates ambivalence where there was none and as Sir Chris pointed out, adds more keystrokes and therefore clutter on the page.

Yep, JohnnyB won...if rubbing the nose of a 50 year old in apostrophe rules on the internet is winning.  Way to go JohnnyB!

I stand by my assertion that everyone knew what he meant, so why bother with all the pretension.

Archived