Studio Custom Posted November 13, 2015 Posted November 13, 2015 The used one at Willcutt just sold for $4100
ppreichm Posted November 14, 2015 Posted November 14, 2015 Hey guys.. I am the buyer - Willicut Improv #10, price paid $3400 shipped to TX. It's my goal to collect a great example "one of each" of the entire Hamer USA line up; I have been concerned that the Improv may be a tough Hamer to find at an attractive price. So I grabbed this one. Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?It is my impression that Hamer put a lot of craftsmanship and quality materials into the Improv and that it would be difficult (maybe impossible) to find a similar quality instrument at the price paid. Please know that it is only my opinion and unfortunately, I am often wrong.Other thoughts: as the other available Improvs are listed at roughly twice the price, it seemed to me a relatively low risk investment. However, it does occur to me that out of a total production of 25 Improv(s) that 3 are available at one time is not a great sign. I am new to the HFC; many members have been very kind to me and I am grateful for my new friends.Best, Peter
django49 Posted November 14, 2015 Posted November 14, 2015 Peter:Careful----It is a slippery slope. Not too many years ago I set out on a similar path and largely succeeded, including getting one (or more) of each of the "limited edition" models, as well as many "production" models. While I will keep most of them, there are a few that will, eventually, go away. I do believe it is harder to do today than it was back then. Seems as if the harder to find models (like those where only 25 or 30 were made, thought there were other limited production models with only 5 or so) tend to get into "stickier" hands rather than "buy it, try it, check off that box and move it along". In fact I have multiple instruments that are committed to other members if/when I elect to sell. For most of them, that will be a while.And, of course, the "Custom Orders" which are unique......Many pop up in pictures periodically as "iconic" examples of Hamer's best. And I can tell you they are great.As to the Improv.....IMO, that is a fair price. Keep in mind that the "NOS" ones out there (I think there are at least 3) have been in dealers hands for quite a few years already. It IS a well made guitar. If you research it, the Improv seems to have a reputation as a guitar in search of a purpose. Neither fish not fowl. Lovely to hold and look at. Leaves some things to desire for a "performing musician". Some love them. Some love the idea of trying out the "unobtainium". Many who have tried them have been less than fully impressed, so take the chance to see for yourself. Not too many people seem to be chasing them, so they tend not to sell quickly.I am not negating the possibility that I will eventually own another (esp if I got as great a price as on the first---NOT likely!), but probably not......Mine went to another member here this past year. It involved a trade but was effectively just about the same price as yours.In any case, good luck with the pursuit!
mc2 Posted November 14, 2015 Posted November 14, 2015 Congrats on snaggng a NOS Improv at a decent price. I've been tempted on occasion. Almost went for Kal David's Cognac one a couple years back, since I had already dealt with him on his T-51. Good luck in your quest to find one of every Hamer guitar model made. It is a fun search. You will feel like Luke in Star Wars....except Jol will not turn out to be your father.
Hbom Posted November 14, 2015 Posted November 14, 2015 Hamer guitars. Buy one. Buy another. Find the 3rd. Buy another. Now your up to 5. Buy another. This is about where the slippery slope . . . . . starts to look like a bottomless pit. Congrats on your Improv. Good luck in your endeavor.
Steve Haynie Posted November 15, 2015 Posted November 15, 2015 Buying one of each model is going to run into a snag when a one-off comes up. A friend ordered a cross between a Centaura and Chaparral. All the features were picked out and then Hamer made it. It would not easily fit into either model description.
ppreichm Posted November 15, 2015 Posted November 15, 2015 yes, agree, I may not be able to collect each model including "one-off" models or other very limited productionsbut where I can find a unique instrument at a fair price, I would be pleased to have an opportunity to collect it.It's all for fun and enjoyment..
ib2010 Posted November 15, 2015 Posted November 15, 2015 Congrats on your Improv ! I find this model to be a unique experiance in the forrest of guitar options. It's a wonderful musical instrument. Hard to describe the excellence of this build/playing environment.
custom53 Posted November 23, 2015 Posted November 23, 2015 The seller originally stated that the guitar was "made by the Hamer Master Luthier in their custom shop located near Chicago, IL".Fact check, and the ad has been corrected. He was completely unaware that Hamer no longer exists, so that unsigned warranty card isn't really worth a whole hill of shit...The seller is listing it for a personal friend of Frank Untermyer's, who is the original owner. To say that the black on that guitar is stunning is probably an understatement. There is also a Cognac one out there, a couple in Sunburst, and I'm not sure if any others were done in anything other than Natural. I see Hamers on eBay all the time with wrong "facts".. I saw a 3 hole Duotone for sale and the seller said it was a 2004.. I did inform him that Hamer never made a 3 holer in 2004..
ppreichm Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 Hey..finally received the Improv #10 today.. I am so pleased.. plays as beautifully as it looks.. appreciate you all... thanks for the great advice..
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.