Jakeboy Posted May 28, 2021 Posted May 28, 2021 I deal a lot of tubes here. I do not come across many old el84s and my Tophat deserves some good old USA or Euro glass. I have 6v6, 6l6, 12ax7s, and various rectifiers for trade bait. I needs me some old el84s. Whatchagot my dear peeps?
Jakeboy Posted May 28, 2021 Author Posted May 28, 2021 The Russian el84s that Z uses are certainly welcome, @bubs_42!
bubs_42 Posted May 28, 2021 Posted May 28, 2021 52 minutes ago, Jakeboy said: The Russian el84s that Z uses are certainly welcome, @bubs_42! I have a set that I pulled but are not matched close enough. There is a Z Guy on Reverb that sells that particular tube. I buy mine from him.
JGale Posted May 28, 2021 Posted May 28, 2021 I just sold a couple to a friend. Best I can do: https://www.thetubestore.com/reflector-el84-6p14p https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-soviet-era-military-spec-6p14p-ev-7189-6bq5-el84-e84l-vacuum-tube/
tbonesullivan Posted May 28, 2021 Posted May 28, 2021 Are you only looking for NOS tubes, or would tested used ones work as well? I do know some smaller dealers.
beezerboy Posted May 29, 2021 Posted May 29, 2021 don't know if you know this or not but some of the old EL84s are wired different inside. pin 1 is normally open on a modern tube. on some brands the old ones use pin 1 to help support the plate. I know Telefunken did this. and another old East German bunch who's name I don't remember right now. These tubes tested "shorted" on my tester, but came from working radios. I did a trace on my tube tester & found that the normal settings given for EL84/6BQ5 would track through the tube and give false indications of a short in a couple positions. I could find no other settings for my machine, even though it has tons of data and is old as dirt (Precision 912) You can ohm pin 1 to the plate (7?) (top of my head) and see the connection. I also have some USA made 6V6 tubes that have pin 1 as a ground. these are the metal can type, military stuff. cheap, tough & sound good but.... reason I mention this is some amps, especially hand built amps, are using pin 1 as a soldering point for grid stopper resistors.
0054 Posted May 29, 2021 Posted May 29, 2021 22 hours ago, JGale said: https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-soviet-era-military-spec-6p14p-ev-7189-6bq5-el84-e84l-vacuum-tube/ TY JGale!! Wow, that place is abut 45 minutes from me, I'd love to go there!!
JGale Posted May 29, 2021 Posted May 29, 2021 I've got singles that jingle jangle jingle. One USA Western Electric One R.T.N. 6BQ5 Made In Japan One marked 7189A in a suspiciously familiar elongated octagon. One Sylvania with very black plates. And no tester available thanks local shop that ditched theirs. Now with pictures
Jakeboy Posted May 29, 2021 Author Posted May 29, 2021 I do need a matched set @JGaleand I am asking Brian Gerhard at Tophat if 7189As will work in the Supreme 16. Good info @beezerboy! Thanks!
tbonesullivan Posted May 30, 2021 Posted May 30, 2021 On 5/28/2021 at 11:59 PM, Jakeboy said: Tested good used work for me @tbonesullivan! This seller is a bit old school, but I've gotten some good preamp tubes from them before: http://www.thetubeshop.com/ Currently they have listed: EL-84/6BQ5 AMPEREX used/tested matched pairs $60 MULLARD 6BQ5/EL-84 Used/Tested matched pairs $70 There is also one of the few useful threads at the gear page: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/online-tube-dealer-sticky.1197164/
tbonesullivan Posted May 30, 2021 Posted May 30, 2021 1 hour ago, JGale said: Damn! His prices for RCA 5751s are great! His prices on 5U4GBs and 5Y3GT rectifiers are pretty good too. Kinda makes me wish I had amps that actually took the 5Y3 rectifier.
Jakeboy Posted May 30, 2021 Author Posted May 30, 2021 I have 5U4gb rectifiers that I’ll PIF at the cost of shipping....but no one ever seems to want one or need any.
pirateflynn Posted May 31, 2021 Posted May 31, 2021 These are all matched pairs of el84s. (a few preamp tubes underneath, a pair RCA black plate 6v6s sneaking in on the right side) They are mostly NOS and some are factory matched. The white boxes are non consumer military stock. I spy 7 pair of Mullards, 2 pair of Tungsram, 1 Amperex Bugle Boy, 1 Philips, 1 Sylvania, 1 Used Telefunken. I also have a few random pair, plus preamp and rectifier tubes, in a nearby drawer for convenience. I used to be really into experimenting with tubes for guitar amps. I’d spend a lot of time switching things around until I dialed an amp just right. Sold most of those amps with the old tubes in them because I thought they truly sounded great that way (multiple Matchless and Germino amps, one Blockhead). The height of the madness was over 15 years ago now. I still have one ‘loaded’ ‘95 Matchless Spitfire and this box is still pretty well stocked.
Jakeboy Posted June 1, 2021 Author Posted June 1, 2021 @pirateflynn, do you have any tube needs for trades or are any of these for sale outright?
tomteriffic Posted June 1, 2021 Posted June 1, 2021 12 minutes ago, Jakeboy said: @pirateflynn, do you have any tube needs for trades or are any of these for sale outright? What Mark said. I have a couple of EL-84 amps that really benefit from old glass.
pirateflynn Posted June 1, 2021 Posted June 1, 2021 10 minutes ago, Jakeboy said: @pirateflynn, do you have any tube needs for trades or are any of these for sale outright? I’ll have a closer look at the Telefunken, Sylvania, and I just came across another black plate pair in my drawer, and get back to you tomorrow. I don’t have a way to test them other than trying them in my Spitfire. I’ll ship these, if you’re interested, and you try them out. Keep whatever you like and pay me what you think is fair or the drinks are on you if we ever get together.
pirateflynn Posted June 1, 2021 Posted June 1, 2021 @Jakeboy Left: Sylvania gray plates Center: Zenith (probably Sylvania or GE) black plates. Right: Telefunken gray plates I remember trying the Sylvania pair and really liking them: greasy, swampy, Billy Gibbons style vibe. Telefunken is probably better off in a hi-fi system but you can give them a try if you’d like. I don’t remember the Zenith pair. They are likely a little older and I’d guess would perform similar to the Sylvania. Shoot me your address and I’ll get these out this week. Take them for a spin and let me know. - Ken
mudshark Posted June 1, 2021 Posted June 1, 2021 I thought I might have a quad of EL84s but turns out they're Svetlana EL 34s.
Jakeboy Posted June 20, 2021 Author Posted June 20, 2021 UPDATE—- it was @pirateflynnto the rescue! The Sylvania set he sent me is JUST PERFECT in my Tophat Supreme 16. I just mailed the Telefunkens back as they were too hifi, just like @pirateflynnsaid they would be. The Syls have the chime and crunch an AC15 type needs. In freaking spades.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.