Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I’m back! (NGD alert)

Hi all. Well after quite a long break I’m back having just purchased another Sunburst. I foolishly sold my ‘79 a few years ago. I’ve had several other old and new(ish) Hamers since but I kicked myself for parting with the Sunburst. Then I saw this ‘78 Sunburst at a guitar auction here in the uk. It’s an early one. #296. Bakelite cavity cover. Bullseyes. One piece neck (perfect, as was my ‘79) There is a small indentation in front of the sustain block where I bet the original shimmed block would have been. We’ll never know if it went back to Hamer to be upgraded to the sustain block but im not complaining. It sustains for days. Im really happy with it. I think it’s lived most of its life in the case as the pots and tuners were stiff so I’m gently working them in. Crowned and bound with a great rosewood board. The DiMarzios are not wired out of phase, just standard. I won’t change that. Weight is 8lbs on the nose. Original case. 

IMG_4887.jpeg

70897980214__03E80E59-F28A-447D-9950-6F442A320205.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

Edited by Snoozingcat
  • Like 35

2 hours ago, Snoozingcat said:

Hi all. Well after quite a long break I’m back having just purchased another Sunburst. I foolishly sold my ‘79 a few years ago. I’ve had several other old and new(ish) Hamers since but I kicked myself for parting with the Sunburst. Then I saw this ‘78 Sunburst at a guitar auction here in the uk. It’s an early one. #296. Bakelite cavity cover. Bullseyes. One piece neck (perfect, as was my ‘79) There is a small indentation in front of the sustain block where I bet the original shimmed block would have been. We’ll never know if it went back to Hamer to be upgraded to the sustain block but im not complaining. It sustains for days. Im really happy with it. I think it’s lived most of its life in the case as the pots and tuners were stiff so I’m gently working them in. Crowned and bound with a great rosewood board. The DiMarzios are not wired out of phase, just standard. I won’t change that. Weight is 8lbs on the nose. Original case. 

IMG_4887.jpeg

70897980214__03E80E59-F28A-447D-9950-6F442A320205.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

Looks great, congrats!

• Like 1

Very,Very cool.  Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar! I have always said that IMHO the Hamer Sunburst is Hamer's best guitar. I'm very happy with what I own now and have no want to look for other guitars. But..................... if I were I would be happy to have found and bought that one.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

5 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Very,Very cool. ! Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar! I have always said that IMHO the Hamer Sunburst is Hamer's best guitar. I very happy with what I own now and have no want to look for other guitars. But..................... if I were I would be happy to have found and bought that one.

Yes, after owning several Hamers over the years, it’s the Sunburst that does it for me. Mind you, a vintage Standard would be nice to own too 😁

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, Snoozingcat said:

Yes, after owning several Hamers over the years, it’s the Sunburst that does it for me. Mind you, a vintage Standard would be nice to own too 😁

Yes indeed a REAL unmodified vintage Hamer Standard is priced beyond what most of us regular folks would be able to afford. And while there are other great Hamer guitars out there that are affordable. I believe the early Hamer Sunbursts are exceptional guitars and are every bit as great the much more costly Hamer Standard. BTW just pure curiosity what is the neck profile on this new Sunburst of yours?................... both of my 79s were C shape with one have just a little more chunk to it.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

22 hours ago, Snoozingcat said:

Then I saw this ‘78 Sunburst at a guitar auction here in the uk. It’s an early one. #296.

Mine is  #8 358, only 62 pc. later. It's the dotted, unbound neck-version with shimmed Mighty Mite-bridge.

I've learned, after Prototypes No. 1-4 for NAMM in June 1977, there being 100 pc. in 1977, 500 in 78 and 900 Sunbursts made in 1979.

Price was 699,95 USD for the simple model, 749,95 USD for B&C.

Visible here in the first post, left:

18 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Yes indeed a REAL unmodified vintage Hamer Standard is priced beyond what most of us regular folks would be able to afford. And while there are other great Hamer guitars out there that are affordable. I believe the early Hamer Sunbursts are exceptional guitars and are every bit as great the much more costly are Hamer Standard. BTW just pure curiosity what is the neck profile on this new Sunburst of yours?................... both of my 79s were C shape with one have just a little more chunk to it.

Hi. The neck is much more chunky than my ‘79. It’s not overly big, but a nice ‘c’ profile. I prefer it to the skinnier ‘79 I had. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, donner said:

Mine is  #8 358, only 62 pc. later. It's the dotted, unbound neck-version with shimmed Mighty Mite-bridge.

I've learned, after Prototypes No. 1-4 for NAMM in June 1977, there being 100 pc. in 1977, 500 in 78 and 900 Sunbursts made in 1979.

Price was 699,95 USD for the simple model, 749,95 USD for B&C.

Visible here in the first post, left:

Beautiful guitars you have there. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice ‘78 you’ve got there!  I had 0111 many moons ago so this brings back memories. Enjoy it. They really are great guitars. 

Hi - very nice. I have #8 0253 - dot neck with shimmed bridge. I also have a '81 Vector with a sustain block bride, I think both bridges are about the same size, so the 'imprint' is intriguing. I remember about 2015 (?) there was a Sunburst in Guitar Village #8 0251 (also dot neck) that a HFC member in Scandinavia bought. Anyway, it had an unusual bridge which looked something like the Schaller design that Fender used on some Strats in the '80s, one piece with sort of 'L' shaped saddles (Fender system 1 or 2 or something). I couldn't think why someone might want to change the original for that design so I wondered if it might be 'original' in some way - unlikely but that would have probably had a larger 'footprint' (??). I wonder if yours might have had something similar??Hamersunburst80251.jpg.c9a92c302e0cbc844c307bd0a2b16e87.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tommyh said:

I remember about 2015 (?) there was a Sunburst in Guitar Village #8 0251 (also dot neck) that a HFC member in Scandinavia bought. Anyway, it had an unusual bridge which looked something like the Schaller design that Fender used on some Strats in the '80s, one piece with sort of 'L' shaped saddles (Fender system 1 or 2 or something). I couldn't think why someone might want to change the original for that design so I wondered if it might be 'original' in some way - unlikely but that would have probably had a larger 'footprint' (??). I wonder if yours might have had something similar??Hamersunburst80251.jpg.c9a92c302e0cbc844c307bd0a2b16e87.jpg

Definitely NOT original!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tommyh said:

Hi - very nice. I have #8 0253 - dot neck with shimmed bridge. I also have a '81 Vector with a sustain block bride, I think both bridges are about the same size, so the 'imprint' is intriguing. I remember about 2015 (?) there was a Sunburst in Guitar Village #8 0251 (also dot neck) that a HFC member in Scandinavia bought. Anyway, it had an unusual bridge which looked something like the Schaller design that Fender used on some Strats in the '80s, one piece with sort of 'L' shaped saddles (Fender system 1 or 2 or something). I couldn't think why someone might want to change the original for that design so I wondered if it might be 'original' in some way - unlikely but that would have probably had a larger 'footprint' (??). I wonder if yours might have had something similar??Hamersunburst80251.jpg.c9a92c302e0cbc844c307bd0a2b16e87.jpg

Hi. Thanks for the message. Interesting stuff. I suppose we’ll never know?