Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Paul playing a cool vee in '74. What is it?

We celebrate the End of The Road but at the Begin of The Road, Paul used a Flying V built by the luthier Charlie LoBue in 1973.
"At that point, he made me a short-wing Flying V. I really liked the V Albert King used, the one with the binding on it. I told Charlie to make the upper wing shorter than the bottom one. We took the template of the body and I drew where I wanted the wing to be and he made it." (Vintage Guitar March 1997) "The [Doublecut] guitar that Charlie made me got stolen, and then he made me a beautiful V guitar with one wing that was shorter than the other and a beautiful ebony fingerboard and a lot of abalone [...]" (Guitar Player 1978) Since the binding on the body, front and back this time, and neck appear to be single-ply celluloid the abalone that Paul mentions probably refers to the rectangular inlays (and possibly the truss rod cover). The headstock was unbound. The guitar had two chrome-cover humbuckers, most probably wound by DiMarzio, a slightly asymmetrical array of the 4 knobs, and a curious placement of the toggle switch (see below). It also had what appears to be the Schaller Harmonica bridge that Gibson used on some SG's from 1973 (Custom, Standard or Special) and later on the L6. The first known picture of the LoBue V comes from the show at the Coventry in Queens on December 21.
Unfortunately this guitar would also get stolen, this one when KISS decamped to Los Angeles to record Hotter Than Hell. "We went to Village Recorders [sic], and the first day we set up, Paul's guitar was stolen". (Kenny Kerner, Behind the Mask p. 222-223) Apparently somebody just walked into the studio and claimed he was there to pick up some guitars for KISS. The last known picture of the LoBue V comes from 1974-07-25 in London, Ontario, Canada. Recordings for Hotter Than Hell began on August 16 after which the LoBue V was never seen again.
Thanks for Axeology.com for this knowledge.

46350927845_bf3ab69759.jpg

47213587602_c696ef1458.jpg

46541976254_e449bceb45.jpg

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

That is a killer V. Wish I'd seen that back when I still acquired guitars...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, svl said:

That is a killer V. Wish I'd seen that back when I still acquired guitars...

Wish I'd seen that when Hamer was still around and taking custom orders! I wonder

If @Northfield would build one just like it?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 8:16 AM, BTMN said:

So somewhere out there this guitar exists. Wonder where and if they know 50 years later what it is. 😳

My guess is that it will show up when the current possessor passes, and the estate gets liquidated.

8 hours ago, Jimbilly said:

My guess is that it will show up when the current possessor passes, and the estate gets liquidated.

Unless it was bandsawed, stripped and rattlecanned, then covered in skate stickers by a theivin’ bostid…

• Haha 1