Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Steve Vai Hamer Jem Proto?

1 minute ago, velorush said:

Had to have been the awkward placement of the Monkey GripTM that led to the rejection 😆

b2zbutywovneha6jrefg.jpgibanez-jemjr-wh-white_1_GIT0034061-000.j

Orrrrrrr the 5 finger indexes 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Orrrrrrr the 5 finger indexes 🤣

The shop hadn't gotten the news about Hound Dog's passing:

blues-guitarist-hound-dog-taylors-left-h

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

In fairness, Vai commissioned that guitar (along with a few from other top builders), paid for it, and used it on some recordings.   He  commissioned an early Tom Anderson custom that he used in a similar way.

Ibanez went out of their way to make something new but employing as many features of Vai's heavily modded Green Meanie as possible.  They paid close attention to what Steve actually wanted versus doing a mild workover of an existing model the way Hamer and the other makers did. 

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

At the end of the day. Vai wanted to get free guitars and to make a hefty sum on every guitar sold.  That model was right up Ibanez’ alley, definitely not Hamer’s.

For whatever it is/was, he made the right choice and actually launched a waning Ibanez into the (Super)stratosphere in the late ‘80s.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

At the end of the day. Vai wanted to get free guitars and to make a hefty sum on every guitar sold.

I agree 100%, but it still stands out to me that what Ibanez actually built as the JEM was in the design aesthetic area code of what the Green Meanie ended up being after Vai carved it up.  Hamer and Anderson built him a couple of really, really nice guitars that came with an invoice.  He didn't reject those (I feel confident that either Hamer or Anderson would have built him a version with a more customized body shape....for a fee) so much as he chose the route of the Hoshino gold mine.