Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

velorush

Members
  • Posts

    9,329
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    45

Everything posted by velorush

  1. Contrarian recommendation: Tech21 Trademark 60. Yes, I DID just recommend a solid state amp. I think it is the ultimate gigging / pedal platform amp: Maintenance freeLightweightTakes pedals fantasticallyBuilt-in SansampEffects LoopPlenty of Power (that can be supplemented with Power Engine(s))For recording, maybe not, but put a TM60 next to a [insert name of 90 lb. Fender] and let me know how many of your audience can tell the difference. I think they really sound good, too. Oh, ETA: relatively inexpensive, too! Especially used.
  2. Congratulations! And yes: screw the challenge! Screw it, indeed!
  3. So, there could possibly have been a crack in the truss rod before the extreme cold made the truss rod shrink? Probably nothing you'd likely see without the aid of a penetrant dye like Magnaflux...
  4. Yes, and of course, D minor is the saddest of all keys, I find.
  5. True, neither do I, though I do use pedal notes on open strings quite often.So, Eb seems to be another key which is not very guitar-friendly. Not that I care that much, but I'm still curious. I didn't mean to sound smug. I find this kind of stuff quite interesting, as well. Eb seemed to be the key none of the less-experienced players wanted to visit as they couldn't find it with a capo (no, I'm not going to revisit my capo rant - for which I was soundly disciplined here on these pages ). It's always an interesting disagreement between pianists (who seem always to desire to play in flats) and less-experienced guitarists who seem always to desire to play in straight keys) to determine exactly what key to use. Couple this with the vocal range / limitations of a given vocalist and it's quite a bit of work to get everyone in sync. An example: it amazed me that most of the piano players I was with would rather play in Db (FIVE flats) than in D (TWO sharps). It amazed them that it didn't matter to me...
  6. Hardly ever use open chords ('less I'm doing my pathetic version of Malcom), so It don't really matter to me, Everybody's got the right to play in C (sharp, that is)
  7. Ah, the 347 was the one. I guess I missed that or (more likely) was broke when it came up and blocked it's availability from consciousness so as to maintain sanity. My recollection was the 335 was the Rick Astley guitar ('never gonna give you up... never gonna say goodbye')... Hmmm... I'll be patient... sort of...
  8. Not that all of the above (including the first thread) isn't gorgeous / impressive / more-than-enough / spectacular / (etc.), but wasn't there mention [perhaps rumor] of at least one ES-3**? Is it the black one? There was also mention some time back of a certain Hamer from the golden year of '82... would love to know if that will be coming available.
  9. Wait! My daughter starts college next year, as well... that means I'm not supposed to be buying things? Oh my...
  10. Unfortunately (or maybe, fortunately) this was not included among the deep discounts: I did find one Les Paul Traditional on the Sweetwater site (50's neck was the first condition for consideration) - it weighed in at 9lbs. 10oz. - that's heavier than my P-Bass! Somebody let me know if they start throwing out the Luther Dickinson 335's (above) though!
  11. Ah, you're absolutely right - but eBay still sucks! Couldn't resist creating an opportunity for piling on.
  12. eBay... what's the word? Tip of the tongue... sssss... oh, I just can't remember. ¿Necesito asistencia, el McChris? Glad to hear you got your cash back. Would be kind of scary getting it back from Viet Nam; I here there's some Indonesian junk that's goin' round...
  13. Pawn Stars was the first thing that came to mind. These people are, in a word, lazy. They want the retail price without making the effort or exhibiting the patience required for a retail sale. In another word, these people are disrespectful (or oblivious) of the investment retailers have made and effort required to maintain their business presence. These are the same people who protest for example, the "outrageous salaries" of the President of Exxon or LeBron James because they are ignorant of what exactly the job entails and / or the scarcity of qualified personnel. [/rant] except for: I can take a lot of things, but willfully ignorant is not one of them.
  14. Here's another example, 0 2166, a later 1980 Special (late enough it has the checkerboard logo) with original pickups. The two-conductor leads are covered in a black plastic and, as you can see, these have the triangle feet. I can't remember the exact DC resistance (I have the numbers at home), but I do remember they were around 8.0 kΩ and the zebra was a little lower in resistance, but warmer sounding (the guitar came to me with the zebra in the bridge and creme in the neck and sounded much better that way).
  15. Wow! That's super tidy! Very nicely done, and some great effects, as well. I'd especially enjoy having at the Echorec, Hartman and either of the Strymon boxes.
  16. Running a DA on the top of that nearly-completed Standard would scare me to death! What grit is that? How do you keep from burning through? EEK! I can't look!
  17. Like Austin said, the DGT is the one PRS I must have! Well, that and a KL380... Congrats! That's a beauty!
  18. I'm really ignorant (and demonstrating that plainly for all). I thought the DiMarzios had fixed poles, that was the whole reason I assumed they weren't stock.... (couple that with the knob discussion in the WTB thread). I think I'm just going to shut up until it comes in on Tuesday.
  19. There are threads here and there since right after I joined about first gen Cruisebasses, always in rough or semi-rough condition and typically for not too many dollars. One popped up on the radar yesterday, just happened to be the right color, right condition, the right deal.... I called about it and was assured it played and sounded fine and didn't smell of cat pee or cigarettes, so I had at it. Scheduled to be here (at work) on Tuesday - excited! Until then (seller's photo): Chewed up headstock is also new avatar. It would be cool to come up with some original DiMarzios (no idea what those are in there now), knobs and especially a truss rod cover. ETA: I really haven't had any problems holding off buying guitars (six string variety); I am really quite satisfied with the three or four I'm playing right now, but bass is still new to me and I've been wanting a first gen Cruise for a really long time.
  20. That looks fantastic! Definitely a very professional job. The most important thing, though: how does it sound?
  21. Is it that you're using a new bit, low speed, going slowly, or something else that you don't have any dark marks in the route? The few times I've run a router I may as well have been using my soldering iron! Granted, I was routing shelves out of red oak, but I can't imagine that maple would be any softer.
  22. I was told the reeds on the blues harp were easier to bend. Honestly, I could never tell the difference between the two.
  23. What does the cross harp actually mean? Why select A for playing in E? Without getting too theoretical, cross harp gets you the Mixolydian mode for blues playing. C harmonica Richter tuned gets you: Blow: C E G C E G C E G C 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Draw: D G B D G A B D F A G Mixolydian is spelled G A B C D E F (rather than G Major, with the F#) so you get the Dominant (i.e., flatted) 7 ETA: after playing for a few years by myself and mastering everything from "Oh, Susanna" to the "Marine Hymn," I tried playing with a guitar player - it absolutely didn't work at all. After I got to college an older guy who played in a blues band told me about playing "cross harp." All he explained was I should get the harmonica in the key of the 4 chord. Worked great! It was years later I actually looked into why it worked so well.
  24. I started in the 6th grade, but I don't play much any more (since my wife hates it). I do keep a few around for when she's not. I prefer to play cross harp, so I pick keys that are the 4 chord of popular guitar keys: C for guitarist playing in G, A for guitarist playing in E and an E for guitarist playing in B. I did play the big Hohner 364s and 365s in college, but those are tuned differently and don't lend themselves to be played cross. In the past five or so years I've really been impressed with the Hohner 560 Special 20's. It took me a while to get over the plastic comb, but they don't swell up and require trimming and the action is really great. I'm amazed at the prices these things are bringing. I saved up my allowance for a couple of weeks to buy my first Marine Band for $3.25. I bought my second Blues Harp the following month for $3.50 (I had to save up again). That was 1975 though.
×
×
  • Create New...