-
Posts
9,324 -
Joined
-
Days Won
45
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by velorush
-
Good info. I suppose I was using "Firebird" in the generic sense, but it's great to know who made it. Is it 25.5" scale like a Gibby Firebird? If so, that would be extremely interesting!
-
Rival Sons on Letterman (found this on YouTube this AM) http://youtu.be/NhjMWekZbmE Filtertrons in a Firebird! I like it! Bass sounds great on this, as well!
-
Pretty amazing for a boy that watched the Jetsons on a rabbit-eared black and white TV, a mere 40-odd years later, to enjoy the morning constitutional perusing the Drudge Report, itself an aggregator of news sources from all over the world. Who could have guessed?
-
Twenty five or years ago I was the youngest banker in the commercial department of a regional bank. I handled all of the walk-ins, many presented with situations like yours and asking similar questions. I had a few pat questions for them. The first was, "why would you want to be in business for yourself?" No offense, but a response along the lines of yours, "I like the idea of being my own boss," was usually a red flag. It was a window into naivete that anyone who's been in business for themselves can educate you to: if you're in business for yourself, everyone is your boss! The second (or so) question was, "what would it cost you to start up this exact business from scratch?" That would help us back into the amount of goodwill in the purchase (the value of the business as a going concern). Then we'd discuss whether or not the business was actually worth the premium asked over the value of the assets. You'd be surprised how many times this was the end of the conversation: they'd never thought of the transaction in those terms. Getting past those points, the conversation generally moved toward evaluation of historical financial information of the business and the prospective buyer: could the business be expected to provide income sufficient to support the buyer's lifestyle and how much stress could be placed on the business (interest rates, economic downturns, reduced revenues, etc.) before the buyer's lifestyle was at risk? Specific to your situation: it's been years since I fielded an opportunity in print media and I don't know your market, but my perception is in line with the concerns expressed above. That said, there are always ways of making money in waning industries, but success hinges on getting in at the right price and running it with a mindset that the profitable timeline is probably limited.
-
Zep Loses 1st Round of Lawsuit Over "Stairway"
velorush replied to diablo175's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Fogherty lost that suit and had to pay royalties to the owner of his old catalog. He has since purchased his catalog back (mentioned it in more than a few interviews). The NYT article is that John won the plagiarism suit, but lost a suit to recover attorney's fees. So a big mess all the way around. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/arts/music/01foge.html?_r=0 I stand corrected. Much like jwhitcomb3's point made above about this headline not truthfully reflecting the development in the Zep suit, the "Fogerty Lost" headline I likely read back in the day (and left it at that, being at the time only minimally interested as I was up to my ears in nerd school) obscured the truth in the interest of gaining attention. Yes, Fogerty lost, but not the royalties suit; a headline about lawyer fees wouldn't garner much attention. Thanks for the correction! -
Zep Loses 1st Round of Lawsuit Over "Stairway"
velorush replied to diablo175's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Fogherty lost that suit and had to pay royalties to the owner of his old catalog. He has since purchased his catalog back (mentioned it in more than a few interviews). -
My Gruhn's guide says, "Dot on i connected to G, open b and o, lower link between o and n: early 1947-51" Great find! Wouldn't advise any more Pledge: the glue required to repair won't stick to silicon-based polishes.
-
"Top 10 bass players who handle lead vocals"
velorush replied to Willie G. Moseley's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I know it's easy to read these sorts of things and come up with a half dozen omissions, but seriously, no dUg? One of my favorite vocalists, bass or not, and killer bassist, vocals or not. -
Tweed Bassman 5F6-A circuit amps in 2 x 12 or 1 x 12 combo-anybody make them?
velorush replied to crunchee's question in Ask the HFC Experts
If you're at all interested in building it yourself, it is my understanding you can call the fine folks at Weber, tell them what you're wanting to accomplish and they can custom configure a kit for you (to the point, matching to O.T. for the different impedance presented by the change in speaker configuration). -
^This^! Though most drunks don't know the difference between a White Falcon and a White Russian. So I'm guessing an 80's-era Rush concert would have driven you over the edge! Lerxst was sometimes swapping guitars mid-song!
-
Only extreme playing IN-abilities, here... day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute... ETA: to answer your original question, yes, my inabilities seem to vary widely day to day, though I've never attempted to correlate changes in function with how I've spent my day. There's likely a doctoral dissertation there if someone wanted to pursue it!
-
Anybody want a Dumble Overdrive Special?
velorush replied to HamerHokie's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Given the incredible clarity of the TM60 and its ability to match well with pedals, wouldn't this be the perfect step toward that end? The Zendrive is good enough for (Dumble flag bearer) Robben Ford on a fly date. Might be worth checking out. Edited to correct link. -
Now THAT'S one for the HFC archive!
-
Sustain Block! In the form of a Sustain Block!
-
I've been pondering selling my Fender bass. I play my old beat up Cruisebass constantly. It plays great, sounds great and I don't have to worry about nicking a pristine finish. The Fender is absolutely pristine, plays better than the Cruise and would certainly be the one a bass player would pick of the two, but there's just something about the Cruise that appeals to me. What about it bass players? Do I need an active bass? Can I get it done with just a passive Cruise? I've got the Ultimate on its way and that's considered my 50th birthday present. Would be great to have my own FSF for whatever Mr. Shishkov introduces as available after the Ultimate run is complete!
-
Happy birthday!
-
Did I get scammed? Hamer, South Africa?
velorush replied to Feynman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
-
Did I get scammed? Hamer, South Africa?
velorush replied to Feynman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Edited as something happened to the original photo... -
Did I get scammed? Hamer, South Africa?
velorush replied to Feynman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Been about four hours since anyone asked: is it for sale yet? -
Did I get scammed? Hamer, South Africa?
velorush replied to Feynman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Beatifl! (I thoght) se of the letter now considered superflos wold be inappropriate). Started a timer, yet. Be a shame if it left before the timer even got cranked up! Edited as I found an additional disallowed "u" in the opening line, rendering the gag moot and also to add the tongue-out smiley that was lacking on my iPhone keyboard from this morning. -
Love it! If I could have, I would have, but I couldn't, so I didn't. Dibs if you're accepting!
-
WTB: Hamer Phantom
velorush replied to DrumBob's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
And hurry! Like Bubs, I too have a soft spot (in my head!) for Phantoms and Prototypes, but also for yellow guitars... That photo is really intriguing! If it had had a sustain block rather than sustain block trem I'd have stepped on you and snatched it already!