Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FA - BEAUTIFUL '79 Sunburst

" f'n-ay right I am ending EVERY one of my auctions early if someone is saying they'll pay my price OR more TODAY ! "

if that makes me or anyone else a dick for doing so..

youre sadly missing the point...

It doesn't make you a dick. According to Austin, it makes you an asshole B)

Very close geographically...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no feathers ruffled here B)

I hate ebay, I hate the guy who sold the guitar, I hate the guy who bought it, I hate the guitar itself tho I wish I coulda bought it. I hate the year 1979 and all the ones before and after. I hate that song Heat of the Moment. I hate myself for selling my b/c last year. I wish I could save Britney, or at least go out on a date with her.

Question:

Have any of you turned down an offer to end an ebay auction early and ended up getting less at the close of the auction?

I've sold dozens of gutars and amps on ebay, got hundreds of offers, turned them all down and invariably got more by letting the auction run its course.

Is my experience unique?

Guest pirateflynn

Once the auction begins I turn down all outside ebay offers, too. If a guy asks me to stop the auction at a certain price I just telll him to bid that amount and say "good luck". So far, it has worked out for me.

Question:

Have any of you turned down an offer to end an ebay auction early and ended up getting less at the close of the auction?

I've sold dozens of gutars and amps on ebay, got hundreds of offers, turned them all down and invariably got more by letting the auction run its course.

Is my experience unique?

My experience is, I'll end the auction early if I get my price. Sure it's true there could be a bidding war, but who knows for sure.

The bottom line is if someone offers me a great price and pays me immediately, I'll end the auction. I've had TOO many people win auctions and NOT pay. I've also had "winners" string me along for a couple of weeks. I've also had "winners" try to renegotiate a price AFTER they win, and if I didn't, they would become belligerent.

Money talks and BS walks.

Question:

Is my experience unique?

On 2 or 3 occasions I've made an offer as a potential buyer and the close was less than I offered. But in each case it was a vintage Fender or Gibson where I felt like the bidding might be a war (this was a couple years ago when things were insane) yet it ended up not being so hot.

Question:

Is my experience unique?

My experience is, I'll end the auction early if I get my price. Sure it's true there could be a bidding war, but who knows for sure.

The bottom line is if someone offers me a great price and pays me immediately, I'll end the auction. I've had TOO many people win auctions and NOT pay. I've also had "winners" string me along for a couple of weeks. I've also had "winners" try to renegotiate a price AFTER they win, and if I didn't, they would become belligerent.

Money talks and BS walks.

my sentiments exactly...

It's gone.

I urged the seller not to end the auction early but somebody got to him ..... maybe somebody we know. B)

He would have made much more money off of it had he just let the auction finish out.

Well then, send him an email offering some silly amount, or... "I was waiting for nearly the end of the auction to put down my $4800 bid, what happened?"

Nothing makes a heart go flutter then boobies.. I mean the thought of lost money.

Guest pirateflynn

It's gone.

I urged the seller not to end the auction early but somebody got to him ..... maybe somebody we know. B)

He would have made much more money off of it had he just let the auction finish out.

Well then, send him an email offering some silly amount, or... "I was waiting for nearly the end of the auction to put down my $4800 bid, what happened?"

Nothing makes a heart go flutter then boobies.. I mean the thought of lost money.

What are you talking about?

If you don't want to "AUCTION" a guitar then post it here or on TheGearPage or something like that. Ebay is an "AUCTION" style site. Let make this thread go away....

+1! :angry:

Agreed ! :angry:

If you don't want to "AUCTION" a guitar then post it here or on TheGearPage or something like that. Ebay is an "AUCTION" style site. Let make this thread go away....

Do you consider Buy-it-now an auction? I think ebay is just like any other internet forum. It's a place where people can find out what other people are doing, what they may need or have to offer, and how they might benefit from each other. It's many things to many people. Auctions, advertisements, jokes, and it's often a soap box for people to shout out their political or other views.. I don't see it as a rule-based system where you either "comply" or "do not comply". People are complicated. Communities of people are even more complicated.

Do you consider Buy-it-now an auction? I think ebay is just like any other internet forum. It's a place where people can find out what other people are doing, what they may need or have to offer, and how they might benefit from each other. It's many things to many people. Auctions, advertisements, jokes, and it's often a soap box for people to shout out their political or other views.. I don't see it as a rule-based system where you either "comply" or "do not comply". People are complicated. Communities of people are even more complicated.

I'm going to have to completely disagree.

-Austin

+1! :angry:

Agreed ! :angry:

+3 :angry:

The whining going on about this transaction is just a case of missed opportunity. Waiting until the very last minute or depending on your sniping software to kick in has its' own set of drawbacks. If you REALLY want something you must bid now and bid high. That was the original idea behind winning auctions on ebay. Some folks cannot keep an item perpetually for sale forever until they get their asking price. You cant label the poor guy an asshole just because he accepted an offer he felt was fair and the seller was able to complete the transaction.

I don't see it as a rule-based system where you either "comply" or "do not comply".

Ebay obviously disagrees with you:

Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted. Offers of this nature are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers and circumvent eBay's fees. If you receive any spam (unsolicited commercial messages) through email or Skype that includes offers to buy or sell outside eBay, please report this using the appropriate link in the "Additional Information" section below.

Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay

Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder

Offering to sell an item to a bidder in a Reserve Not Met listing without going through Second Chance Offer

Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise to under-bidders without going through Second Chance Offer

Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past

It is acceptable for sellers to end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the high bidder. Bidders are permitted to contact sellers with requests to end a listing early and sell at the current bid price; however, sellers are under no obligation to honor the request.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

You cant label the poor guy an asshole just because he accepted an offer he felt was fair and the seller was able to complete the transaction.

Actually, I can and I do :angry:! And what makes him a "poor guy"? Finally, it appears there's plenty of whining going on on both sides of this issue (although none from myself of course :angry:)

-Austin

I don't see it as a rule-based system where you either "comply" or "do not comply".

Ebay obviously disagrees with you:

Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted. Offers of this nature are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers and circumvent eBay's fees. If you receive any spam (unsolicited commercial messages) through email or Skype that includes offers to buy or sell outside eBay, please report this using the appropriate link in the "Additional Information" section below.

Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay

Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder

Offering to sell an item to a bidder in a Reserve Not Met listing without going through Second Chance Offer

Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise to under-bidders without going through Second Chance Offer

Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past

It is acceptable for sellers to end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the high bidder. Bidders are permitted to contact sellers with requests to end a listing early and sell at the current bid price; however, sellers are under no obligation to honor the request.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

thats all well and good...

however... if this were actually so... you as a seller would not be able to end your auction PERIOD once it has begun .,correct ?

no other real life auction setting allows this that I am aware of....

once your vintage car is on the block, its on the block, they have it "in hand".

further, you absolutely do have the option of reserving the right to end your auction for local sale...

you do see this statement in many auctions and ebay can do nothing about it .

with regard to the prior commentary and having utmost respect for your position conrad....

I'd be more concerned with being allowed to actually bid a stateside auction, rather than worrying about its potential early end :angry:

which probably opens up a whole new can of worms for some sellers...

with regard to the prior commentary and having utmost respect for your position conrad....

I'd be more concerned with being allowed to actually bid a stateside auction, rather than worrying about its potential early end :angry:

which probably opens up a whole new can of worms for some sellers...

I had no interest in bidding on that guitar (happy with what I have) but I would really be pissed of with what happened, if I was.

No mention in the ad of a possible early end.

The seller even mentioned : High bidder takes it.

Archived