Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FA - BEAUTIFUL '79 Sunburst

I think any seller who ends an auction early like that is an assh@le myself, but it was only a '79 Sunburst so I'm not losing any sleep over it B)!

-Austin

I don't think ending the auction early makes the seller an asshole. I don't blame the seller. It ain't easy selling stuff on ebay. How many times does a seller NOT get paid because the buyer "changes his mind", or doesn't have the money. Then you have to wait a couple of weeks because the buyer says he'll pay "at the end of the week", only for that to never happen.

It's happened to me. I've been strung along by buyers like that and they NEVER pay. So if someone offers me money that I feel is fair, and they pay me IMMEDIATELY, I'll end the auction for them. Any time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, no, not for sale; I'm keeping 9-0810 B)

Welcome aboard!!

Got any pics of yours?

Got any pics of yours?

I have some I took with an Instamatic, does that count? B)

I just realized, I sign up here, I gotta make fresh pics of the Sunburst and post some here. At least I now actually own a digital camera...

so, yah, I'll try and get a few up here soon. How's that show&tell folder coming? (see I'm only one day here, and already showin' my snarky side :lol:)

Great to have ya here, Bob!

I think any seller who ends an auction early like that is an assh@le myself, but it was only a '79 Sunburst so I'm not losing any sleep over it B)!

-Austin

I don't think ending the auction early makes the seller an asshole. I don't blame the seller. It ain't easy selling stuff on ebay. How many times does a seller NOT get paid because the buyer "changes his mind", or doesn't have the money. Then you have to wait a couple of weeks because the buyer says he'll pay "at the end of the week", only for that to never happen.

It's happened to me. I've been strung along by buyers like that and they NEVER pay. So if someone offers me money that I feel is fair, and they pay me IMMEDIATELY, I'll end the auction for them. Any time.

IMO, that's using the possibility of other people's asshole behavior to justify your own asshole behavior, but to each his own. I'm certainly not the final authority on what does/does not constitute asshole behavior (that would be my wife! :lol: I kid! I kid!)

-Austin

IMO, that's using the possibility of other people's asshole behavior to justify your own asshole behavior, but to each his own. I'm certainly not the final authority on what does/does not constitute asshole behavior (that would be my wife! B) I kid! I kid!)

-Austin

You're entitled to your opinion. If and when I pull an auction (when I'm the seller of course), I do what I feel is best for me.

If you don't like the game (ebay), don't play.

Sometimes ya gotta do, what ya gotta do.

So who's gonna tell Beach Bob that he could have gotten $2,500.00+ for the b&c Sunburst within 30 minutes of offering it here?

Me, I guess.

Hopefully, you got close to that value, Bob. If not, you didn't make the same mistake that many of us here have made at one time or another. Welcome to the board and be sure to post photos of your remaining Hamer.

It is still my impression that there is something wrong with this auction. My bid of $1281 has been cancelled, but so has one higher bidder of $2850. I don't understand it.

And to me there seems to be no reason to get a bad taste in the mouth by selling a guitar overseas in a worldwide community like the HFC!

Gabe

Guest pirateflynn

.......... but so has one higher bidder of $2850.

Gee, I wonder who that was? B)

Wow Dave, you think it would have went for $2500+ ? I thought maybe $2000 at the very most. I guess we'll never know.

The last two clean '70s dot necks went for $2.2K and $2.5K.

I am very much out of the market at the moment, but I probably would have offered $2,500 for that guitar. I was watching it on ebay and considered placing a bid, but it was gone before I made up my mind. Apparently I wouldn't have been the highest bidder

I used to own it's twin, which I foolishly sold several years ago.

Funny, I was going to post an over/under on how long it would take for the auction to be canceled for a behind the scenes deal.

Congrats to the buyer - looks like a great guitar.

If you don't like the game (ebay), don't play.

There is the legitimate "game" of ebay, which is the standard auction process. Then there is the backdoor illegitimate "auction behind the auction" which rips off "normal" ebayers who play by the rules from the ability to bid on something they want, as well as ripping off ebay of fees it rightfully deserves by the user agreements you signed onto as a seller. As a business owner, I don't want other people ripping me off of fee's I have earned, so I refuse to rip ebay off. Its really no different than deciding to copy someone else's CD because you don't want to pay the $18 at the store, it's still not allright to copy it.

I'm not condoning "cheating", I'm just saying that "that's how things are." It's done all the time, does that make it right? No it doesn't. But sometimes if you want to get ahead, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'm sure the seller got a ton of emails with offers to end the auction early.

Guest pirateflynn

'm sure the seller got a ton of emails with offers to end the auction early.

Yes, he did. He also accepted less than my proxy bid.

Hopefully, you got close to that value, Bob. If not, you didn't make the same mistake that many of us here have made at one time or another.

Not quite...

Though I think you meant to say that I "didn't make made the same mistake that many of us here have made at one time or another"... ? I am guessing some of you have lowballed your sales unwittingly in the past? Makes sense to me... otherwise, I'm confused. Happens with me sometimes B)

anyways, as I said, I knew I wasn't getting top dollar, making a deal the way I did... & I guessed sorta low at current market value, but hey that's how the chips fall. It's not like I'll be eating ramen noodles for the next six months.

It's done, over and out. And to tell the truth, despite the one I let go having a better neck, the one I've kept was always the go-to; it has better tone, is lighter / more resonant, and is the one I've logged the most miles with. The one that left: killer wood, front and back; always held tuning, but heavy, & I always felt like I had to work more to pull stuff out of it. The one I kept: more subtle wood, nice but nothing to alert the media for; a bit wobbly w/ attendant tuning issues, but it just sings once you warm it up. I bought the dot new, probably in 78? (edit - had to be '80, duh) I plugged it in last night & it felt like an old friend. The other one never really grabbed me. So I got my keeper, and I'm moving forward ... growing older but not up, like the man sang :lol:

Nice, nice top.

I love bound and crowned but personally keep the dot necks.

Good to see Beach Bob place a note here about the sale and a welcome as a Hamer Owner.

Plus, he kept the one that he really, digs.

I need to pay more attention to the market.

Hamerica

Welcome, Bob. I like your taste in guitars as well as your attitude about them. Placing the ultimate value in terms other than strictly monetary ones shows that you truly appreciate what these things are for. Setting the one that doesn't speak to you free also allows it to maybe find someone who will use it to realize their potential. Or maybe it will end up tucked away, never to see the light of day or be played for fear of "devaluing" it B) Z

Wow-I REALLY undersold my super clean '79 last year!!!!

No regrets. I can't beat myself up because I might have been able to get a few more $$ for something!

you take the money when its offered.

ebay and paypal fees are simply too high.

ebay is getting their money one way or another.... whether it be in the form of advertising, listing fees,paypals nonsense or whatever...

I've given them plenty over the years and am sick of getting newsletters saying it isnt enough !

buyers are real savy these days... they know the system is geared towards them.

with the rash of nonpayers/ renegotiators out there today>>>>

" f'n-ay right I am ending EVERY one of my auctions early if someone is saying they'll pay my price OR more TODAY ! "

if that makes me or anyone else a dick for doing so..

youre sadly missing the point...

I am buying more items offline OR after I see a zero/low feedback bidder has fouled an auction last minute, than ever before....

heck you dont even have to bid , cause MANY sellers are tired of the b.s. and the time involved getting fees back or trying to work with jerks who dont pay , only to relist the item over and over,

that they have no problems selling sideways.

you sell to sell.. not hold hands, educate the ignorant ,or to lose money.

now to have ebay taking away a sellers right to post negative

feedback for these goofs ??? wow ........

"I am not saying its right, I'm not saying I like it, but thats how bad its gotten."

I went through hell selling NOS GM/buick parts several years ago, and most of those auction winners were older established folks jerking me around...

sunbursts have jumped dramatically of late, who's to say this particular seller didnt end up selling himself way short ???

I've gotten sellers to end auctions for well under market value and in turn have paid through the nose for things.

the bottom line is, if you want something, you better speak up today!

I know of a few good guys at this very moment willing to pay well above average for a clean B&C sunburst , simply to be done with their quest....

I sincerely hope it was one one of them that scored this '79 !!

" f'n-ay right I am ending EVERY one of my auctions early if someone is saying they'll pay my price OR more TODAY ! "

if that makes me or anyone else a dick for doing so..

youre sadly missing the point...

It doesn't make you a dick. According to Austin, it makes you an asshole B)

Archived