Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FA - BEAUTIFUL '79 Sunburst

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pirateflynn

It's gone.

I urged the seller not to end the auction early but somebody got to him ..... maybe somebody we know. B)

He would have made much more money off of it had he just let the auction finish out.

I saw it this morning at 9am and I think it was already at $1125 or $1225 after only a few hours into the auction. Three hours later and it is gone. It was listed just above the Standard for sale. Two nice axes back to back, so to speak. If somebody here bought it, please let us know. Would be nice to know the price. The seller has a couple of other guitars for sale. Maybe we could find out his email and ask?

I saw it this morning at 9am and I think it was already at $1125 or $1225 after only a few hours into the auction. Three hours later and it is gone. It was listed just above the Standard for sale. Two nice axes back to back, so to speak. If somebody here bought it, please let us know. Would be nice to know the price. The seller has a couple of other guitars for sale. Maybe we could find out his email and ask?

This little motherf.... What's the idea of ebay if everything nice disappears way befor the end of the auction???

Obviously Someone persuaded the guy with mucho money to end the auction early... B)

Let's hope it was a HFC rich kid :lol:

I'm pretty sure the guitar sold to somebody in Illinois.

Again..what's the point with ebay?

You advertise it well so everybody knows about it an then sell it privately and piss people off.

So in future only the crap will sell on ebay...wait a minute...that's already started B)

I'm pretty sure the guitar sold to somebody in Illinois.

Well it's not me, I was in on the bidding, and would have bid some more...

That one was just smokin!!! And I really wanted it.

Maybe next time

B)

You advertise it well so everybody knows about it an then sell it privately and piss people off.

So in future only the crap will sell on ebay...wait a minute...that's already started B)

I don't think the sellers care if people get pissed off when they sell something and end an auction early. Obviously, they've gotten a deal that they're happy with getting.

I have noticed that often the people who protest the loudest about this practice typically wait until the last minute to bid or just don't bid at all on an item. As long as the seller and the purchaser are happy, the system works, right? :lol:

If it was a problem for eBay, they'd make it tougher to close an auction early.

The seller also has some added security of getting a sale AND possibly saving additional fees on sale percentage.

So in future only the crap will sell on ebay...wait a minute...that's already started :lol:

I don't think the sellers care if people get pissed off when they sell something and end an auction early. Obviously, they've gotten a deal that they're happy with getting.

I have noticed that often the people who protest the loudest about this practice typically wait until the last minute to bid or just don't bid at all on an item. As long as the seller and the purchaser are happy, the system works, right? :lol:

If it was a problem for eBay, they'd make it tougher to close an auction early.

I don't know what makes you think that B) ...

but I know I was the second bid that´s why I'm pissed off... B)

He could have offered it to the HFC...

Guest pirateflynn

Hey.... you know what, it looks like a really nice guitar. Whatever goes down, it's not the fault of the buyer. It rests solely on the seller. Congrats ..... whoever you are!

Hey.... you know what, it looks like a really nice guitar. Whatever goes down, it's not the fault of the buyer. It rests solely on the seller. Congrats ..... whoever you are!

You´re right! And it did look good and there will be another one...someday...somewhere...

I just need a little patience

so what´s the "chinese democracy" release date again?

I did not buy this guitar or sell it, but I have sold guitars in the past where I've accepted an offer and saved myself the ebay fee and the wait and the chance of a non-paying unknown bidder and having to relist. Cash in hand is a good thing especially with so many youngsters and tire kickers with eager fingers on the bidding button. In the case where the seller has no idea what his thing is worth, it makes sense not to accept a single offer that comes in. But if the guy has a good idea of pricing and gets several offers in the same ballpark that agree with his idea of price, why not just make the sale? I would like to have bid as well, but I don't think anyone is at fault here but myself for not contacting him with a strong offer.

First post here... Hello to all in Hamer fan land!

A Mea Culpa, and throw a tomato at me if you'd like...

A (long) story: I was the prior owner of this one. I had planned to go to the Orlando Guitar Show (this past weekend), and since I couldn't get any other locals to ride with me, at the last minute I decided to haul some electric gear up and see what I could offload. I have had bands when I lived up north, but I've been in FL for 20 years now and have switched to playing acoustic pretty exclusively. My collection of old axes and even older amps was shoved in a closet most all of that 20 years.

But of late I'm thinking on playing a bit more electric, but wanting some new gear, so what's a guy need five tube amps for?? One or two suffices these days. And OK I never play <these> guitars either. So Fri night I spent fret polishing, changing strings, vacuuming dust off amps, etc. Also I did *a bit* of last minute web research to try and get an idea of current values... so I had some numbers in my head.

I get there Saturday, and after 3 or 4 people (mostly dealers) show very mild interest on the Hamer, I figure this isn't happening. But then one dealer was pretty dang excited about it, and really wanted it; said he'd had one back in the day and wanted to keep it ( B) , now) ... so we did a bit of horse trading, I got another axe and a goodly sum of cash in the deal. I also unloaded one of my old amps at the show as well (to a different dude).

So Sunday night I'm doing the reality check on the web, looking further into how'd I do, or rather (as it goes with dealer lowball / sell high practices), can I live with the deals I cut? And here's my old Sunburst on evilbay ... the guy lives three states away from me and he had it up on auction within 24hrs.?? Looks to me like he took the pics on his hotel room bed.

Now far as I'm concerned, all is fair in love and war and all that; I'm not PO'd at the seller, or trying to slag the guy either. He's the current owner (or was, for a time, after 6pm this last Saturday), he can do what he wants with it. Me? I don't mess with evilbay; I look at it sometimes, but focusing on occasionally buying & selling acoustics these days, there is even more peril doing www deals; inaccurate condition descriptions, the perils of shipping, nutty payment schemes, it goes on and on. I'd rather deal face-to-face, and live with the fact that I won't get *top dollar* evilbay value if I sell one that way.

The mea culpa is: I didn't really realize the implications of the worldwide market these days... had I really been thinking a step or two ahead, I woulda got signed up here and sold it to one of you guys, who are from what I can tell, mostly in the US. Only thing that sorta irked me was seeing that it might go overseas... I dunno; that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, considering US dollar value, etc. I sure hope pirateflynn is correct that it's going to Illinois.

I blame it on feeding frenzy; I was looking at gaining some cash, to acquire a little boutique combo amp that I've been eyeing for over a year now... and I did succeed in getting the amp at the show. So yeah; sucker punch me; whatever... I've wandered around this BB the last two days or so and it seems like a good bunch of people. Hindsight, I probably should have taken my time and offered it here first.

Sheesh I probably should not have posted any of this, other than Hi I'm the new guy :lol:

I did not buy this guitar or sell it, but I have sold guitars in the past where I've accepted an offer and saved myself the ebay fee and the wait and the chance of a non-paying unknown bidder and having to relist.

So Ebay facilitates the listing of the item and is directly responsible for bringing seller and buyer together, but it's ok to cut them out of their fee?

Guest pirateflynn

First post here... Hello to all in Hamer fan land!

A Mea Culpa, and throw a tomato at me if you'd like...

A (long) story: I was the prior owner of this one. I had planned to go to the Orlando Guitar Show (this past weekend), and since I couldn't get any other locals to ride with me, at the last minute I decided to haul some electric gear up and see what I could offload. I have had bands when I lived up north, but I've been in FL for 20 years now and have switched to playing acoustic pretty exclusively. My collection of old axes and even older amps was shoved in a closet most all of that 20 years.

But of late I'm thinking on playing a bit more electric, but wanting some new gear, so what's a guy need five tube amps for?? One or two suffices these days. And OK I never play <these> guitars either. So Fri night I spent fret polishing, changing strings, vacuuming dust off amps, etc. Also I did *a bit* of last minute web research to try and get an idea of current values... so I had some numbers in my head.

I get there Saturday, and after 3 or 4 people (mostly dealers) show very mild interest on the Hamer, I figure this isn't happening. But then one dealer was pretty dang excited about it, and really wanted it; said he'd had one back in the day and wanted to keep it ( B) , now) ... so we did a bit of horse trading, I got another axe and a goodly sum of cash in the deal. I also unloaded one of my old amps at the show as well (to a different dude).

So Sunday night I'm doing the reality check on the web, looking further into how'd I do, or rather (as it goes with dealer lowball / sell high practices), can I live with the deals I cut? And here's my old Sunburst on evilbay ... the guy lives three states away from me and he had it up on auction within 24hrs.?? Looks to me like he took the pics on his hotel room bed.

Now far as I'm concerned, all is fair in love and war and all that; I'm not PO'd at the seller, or trying to slag the guy either. He's the current owner (or was, for a time, after 6pm this last Saturday), he can do what he wants with it. Me? I don't mess with evilbay; I look at it sometimes, but focusing on occasionally buying & selling acoustics these days, there is even more peril doing www deals; inaccurate condition descriptions, the perils of shipping, nutty payment schemes, it goes on and on. I'd rather deal face-to-face, and live with the fact that I won't get *top dollar* evilbay value if I sell one that way.

The mea culpa is: I didn't really realize the implications of the worldwide market these days... had I really been thinking a step or two ahead, I woulda got signed up here and sold it to one of you guys, who are from what I can tell, mostly in the US. Only thing that sorta irked me was seeing that it might go overseas... I dunno; that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, considering US dollar value, etc. I sure hope pirateflynn is correct that it's going to Illinois.

I blame it on feeding frenzy; I was looking at gaining some cash, to acquire a little boutique combo amp that I've been eyeing for over a year now... and I did succeed in getting the amp at the show. So yeah; sucker punch me; whatever... I've wandered around this BB the last two days or so and it seems like a good bunch of people. Hindsight, I probably should have taken my time and offered it here first.

Sheesh I probably should not have posted any of this other than Hi I'm the new guy B)

Got any more? :lol:

Welcome to the HFC!

Sheesh I probably should not have posted any of this other than Hi I'm the new guy :lol:

Welcome and thanks for all the info...the guy you sold it to was FAST!

In case you have another sunburst let us know. B)

People seem to go crazy about them....

I did not buy this guitar or sell it, but I have sold guitars in the past where I've accepted an offer and saved myself the ebay fee and the wait and the chance of a non-paying unknown bidder and having to relist.

So Ebay facilitates the listing of the item and is directly responsible for bringing seller and buyer together, but it's ok to cut them out of their fee?

Short answer: Yes. First of all, they get their listing fee no matter what. It's the final value fee they do not get, but the other side of the coin is that the seller also does not get anything. When you complete an ebay sale and pay the final value fee, as a seller you are buying something with this fee. You are paying for the right to complete the deal through the ebay channels. You get the buyer's name and address. You have the ability to threaten negative feedback if necessary. You can file a complaint if necessary if the buyer backs out. You have the ability to make second chance offers. You have the ability to build up credibility through positive feedback and you have an auction that people can revisit and see that you are a legitimate seller. If you end the auction early you get none of this, and you don't pay for it. Seems fair to me.

Got any more? B)

Welcome to the HFC!

Mucho thanks for the welcome.

I have another, but not for sale... actually, that's the rest of the proverbial story. I am now down to one Hamer, my '79 Sunburst with the burst finish and dot neck. So you see, previously I had two '79s, about 200 apart on the SN, one dot, one bound.

The dot is the one I walked around the show with most of Saturday; nobody was too keen on it, probably because it's not 100% ... I put a Pearly Gates at the bridge many moons ago. I let anyone know that seemed interested, that I had another '79 with me, bound neck and natural finish, 100%. But nobody cared, until I met the guy I eventually cut a deal with.

So last night I plug the Sunburst into my new combo amp and knock out a few riffs, with my 14yo son staring at me slack-jawed :lol: I dimed it, which isn't even all the way, as this amp goes to twelve (take THAT, Nigel Tufnel!), and get near the amp.... switched to Pearly & arpeggiated a low E and let 'er burn ... turn this way, then that.... harmonics changing, four o'clock, now nine o'clock... wang the neck for a little trem action... sustain forever ... shiver me timbers!!

...and I'm thinking, I WANTED TO SELL THIS!???!??!??!!!

Close call <whew>

So, no, not for sale; I'm keeping 9-0810 B)

Short answer: Yes. First of all, they get their listing fee no matter what...

Listing fee is small compared to the final value fee for larger items, which is the real reason why people don't want to allow auctions to complete. They consider the final value fee to be too high, yet are perfectly willing to take advantage of ebay as a nationwide listing service.

I think it's simple. If you don't like ebays prices, then don't use the service. If you put something up for auction, allow it to run to completion or use ebays "Make an Offer" mechanism.

Archived