Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Genuine 1959 Gibson Flying V for sale.

Greg,

Cool picture. Thank you very much. That answers a few questions for me. I always wondered if the original Vees were splined and maybe the spline didn't run all the way through the body (thus it wouldn't be exposed in the "crotch" of the V). That photo leads me to believe absolutely no spline was used (which is the same way the original 72 Hamer Vectors were built). Serial, if you pull your pickups I suspect the spline on your guitar is exposed in the pickup cavities.

Also, I had heard the neck tenon extended past the pickup route but that is the first time I've actually seen it.

Thanks again. Good luck with the sale. That is a real piece of history. In a few years whoever buys will look back on that 85K price and realize that is a steal.

Bob

edited to add- Greg, does the neck heel look like it has a shim? I doubt it would but Rick's 58 had it and it looked factory original.

Wow. Those photos are really great. I didn't think it would have the shim. Thanks.

Rick's 58 had a few features that were odd. Besides the shim at the neck heel, it also had a faint "ghost" Gibson logo across the top of the peghead. It could be seen if you catch the light at an angle. Rick thought there might be a pearl logo underneath the black paint so he had it lightly sanded/buffed out while the guitar was at Hamer. Unfortunately, there was no pearl logo underneath the black paint and the ghost logo was lost forever. I always thought maybe they applied a traditional Gibson logo like on 58 Les Pauls and then later changed their mind and removed it to add the raised letter logo we are all familiar with. I might have some old photos around here. I'll see if I can dig them up. If I find them I'll post them in another thread so they don't get confused with the guitar you are selling.

Thanks again. Those are my favorite guitars.

• 2 months later...

Pics!

Can't find 'em. Tore my house apart looking. This was long before I went digital so I don't have any backup. In addition to Rick's 58 I was talking about above I also had some photos of the red one. If I have forever lost the pic of me holding the Lonnie Mack red V I will cry like a baby.

Maybe they are at my Mom's place in Chicago. I'll ask her to look around.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am buying it as a suprise gift for Zorrow.

..and I bet he's NOT kidding! :rolleyes::blink:

Congratulations on the sale and to the new owner. I would love to see some pictures of it with the others in the collection.

That was a good price for that guitar. Much rarer than a burst selling for a fraction of the price.

Original Explorers, Vees and 'Bursts will always be the gold standard in vintage electrics.

Sounds like a helluva collection.

Archived