Stike Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Just wanted to solicit opinions on what are some of the cooler models that can be had way cheap used? I've spied an older Tascan 564 locally for well under 2 bones, my budget is maybe around the standard HFC offer.I know folks are gonna say go'head and get some software yadda yadda, but my PC is an old POS and is not gonna get upgraded or replaced anytime soon so that's out. I'm not really in need of a whole lotta bells & whistles, just a little scratch pad for goofin' at home and maybe some band demos. Also has anyone used any of the new Zoom recorders? I might have a line on getting one at cost and was wondering if they were any good.
Guest cruster Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Not exactly what you're after...or maybe it is. I picked up a Tascam PocketStudio 5 for $149 (or maybe it was $199, I don't remember). Four track, built in tone generator with 'patterns' so you can jam along with backing tracks. If you don't like the tone generator, put an mp3 on the CF card and you can jam along with that instead. Has built in effects, but I wouldn't call them production quality. More for scratch use than recording your next album. Very handy. I looked at just about all of the little digital studios available and went with the PS5...they have a semi-active userbase (I can get you the URL to the 'fan club' if you want).
Hamer95USA Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Hey Stike, I am considering purchasing a digital recording setup without a computer being involved. I am looking at the Korg PXR4 digital recorder. It's portable, has processing for guitar, a rhythm machine, inputs for a guitar & a microphone and uses SmartMedia cards as its recording medium. I have seen these used between $150-200 on either Craig's List or E-bay. Guitar George
DaveL Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I REALLY liked the Boss BR-864 which I stupidlysold to Johnny Thunders.... They sell in the $300something range depending on new vs used. If that's too much the earlier 4 track version, theBoss BR-532 sells pretty reasonably in the $150to $200 range and if you can find one that's prettyclean that's a fair deal... I've since downgraded to the Zoom MRS-4B. I haven't really touched yet. Seems a little "toy" like compared to the Boss, but then again, it's a littlebit cheaper and it was pretty affoirdable (under $200) new...
BCR Greg Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Last time I mutlitracked, I woke up in a holding cell.
Guest cruster Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I was all geared up to get the PXR4 (not the PX4) until I learned that I couldn't drop MIDI files on it for backing tracks. I think that was the ultimate reason I went with the Tascam. The Korg was a lot smaller, though.
Brooks Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 i recently got a new computer, loaded w/ the same software that we record w/ at my trombonists house.so, i'm considering selling my roland vs-840. lemme know if you're int, i paid $750 new a few years ago, i'd sell it for less than half of that (and stike, i'll come by and show ya how to run it).
Stike Posted March 14, 2005 Author Posted March 14, 2005 i recently got a new computer, loaded w/ the same software that we record w/ at my trombonists house.so, i'm considering selling my roland vs-840. lemme know if you're int, i paid $750 new a few years ago, i'd sell it for less than half of that (and stike, i'll come by and show ya how to run it). Can I pay you in ribs?
jwhitcomb3 Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I started out with a standalone Roland digital recorder. After a couple of months I dumped it in favor of a computer setup and never looked back. Sure, the standalones are fun toys, but wait until you want to revisit an old project a few years down the line and the hardware unit is long dead and obsolete? I can open 6 year old projects on the latest version of my Mac software (MOTU's Digital Performer).A Mac mini comes with the "Garage Band" application that will run rings around similarly priced standalone hardware units.-Jonathan
Stike Posted March 14, 2005 Author Posted March 14, 2005 A Mac mini comes with the "Garage Band" application that will run rings around similarly priced standalone hardware units.-Jonathan Sounds great, who's got 'em fer treefitty?
elduave Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Stike-My Mac has a built-in studio thingy so I don't need my Boss BR8 anymore. The cheapest I've seen one go for on eBay with power supply and manual is $202.50 + shipping. If you want it it's yours for $200 shipped. One of the input jacks requires the occcsional "jiggle" but it's never had any negative effect on a "take".
jettster Posted March 15, 2005 Posted March 15, 2005 I copied this from the other thread........ These pop up on ebay a good bit.As far as recording, I use a digital workstation to record. Zoom Mrs-1044. http://www.proaudiomusic.com/misc/effects/...0Multitrack.htm They don't make this particular model any more. The new one is similar but, has 16 tracks. The only thing I don't like about mine is the fact you can only record 2 tracks at once. It has built in programable drums, bass and mastering utilities. On top of that it cost less than my fist 4-track did 20 years ago. I have to convert to a .wav file to be able to import it in to the workstation but, it's no problem to convert back and forth. Mine does not have the built in burner so, I use the optional USB card to tranfer files to the computer. Feel free to shoot an email if you have any specific questions.
FunkyE9th Posted March 16, 2005 Posted March 16, 2005 I'm thinking of getting the Zoom MRS-8 ($350 new), but there's a part of me that wants to get Digidesign's Mbox. I already have the Digidesigns Digi001, but I can't use it with my laptop.I like the MRS-8 because, I think it works great as a scratch pad. It comes with drums and bass samples. It also has a built in mic. So if you have an idea that you want to capture right away, you can just hum into it. You don't have to wait for a PC to boot up. THe MRS-8 records into a SD card. So you don't have to worry about hard drive failure, noisy hard drive, PC fan noise etc etc.-FunkyE9th
Stike Posted March 16, 2005 Author Posted March 16, 2005 I'm thinking of getting the Zoom MRS-8 ($350 new), but there's a part of me that wants to get Digidesign's Mbox. I already have the Digidesigns Digi001, but I can't use it with my laptop.I like the MRS-8 because, I think it works great as a scratch pad. It comes with drums and bass samples. It also has a built in mic. So if you have an idea that you want to capture right away, you can just hum into it. You don't have to wait for a PC to boot up. THe MRS-8 records into a SD card. So you don't have to worry about hard drive failure, noisy hard drive, PC fan noise etc etc.-FunkyE9th That's the one I've been leaning to, that or the Boss BR864. Those 2 pretty much fit the bill for what I'm looking for price/feature wise. Thanks Brooks & El, but go ahead and field other offers, I gotta sell some stuff off first.
kenjones Posted March 16, 2005 Posted March 16, 2005 I have a Roland VS880-EX I was going to put on eBay sometime this week. Email me if you are interested.
DaveL Posted March 17, 2005 Posted March 17, 2005 Stike, Funky E personally I prefer the 864 however while I was lookingaround I noticed a very good price on a new zoom MRS-8on ebay $279 + 14.99 shipping, the all sales final and "not arefurb" part of it scares me a little but it's at least worth checkingout. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7308562445&rd=1
Stike Posted March 17, 2005 Author Posted March 17, 2005 Thanks for the heads up, now if my pickups would just get sold.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.