Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Buzzing sound through monitors........SOLVED

I just bought some studio monitors for another attempt at home recording. They sound awesome and now I'm hearing things as they should be heard. But one thing I've noticed is that when they are sitting idle they produce a dirty buzz that exaggerates when I move my mouse or load up a page on Chrome. It's not terribly loud but audible if there is no sound being produced by music on YouTube or other programs. I thought at first it was caused by my flat screen but unplugging it didn't stop the buzz. So that left the computer and sure enough when I turned it off the buzz stopped. But, I'm also using a Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen that turns off when the computer goes down. So I unplugged it and rebooted the computer and then plugged in the Focusrite. As soon as the 2i2 booted the buzz did too. So it's being produced by the computer or Focusrite. What can I do to eliminate the buzz? Is this normal? Will it transfer to my recording? TYIA.

--Ting 

ETA: I do seem to have dirty electricity in the house and hear weird buzzing in my amps. I do have a Ferman M-8x 2 that I had to disconnect to rearrange my desk for the monitors. But, it didn't seem to have an effect on the amp buzz.

33 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

ETA: I do seem to have dirty electricity in the house and hear weird buzzing in my amps.

Have a qualified electrician check all of the outlets in your house and make sure that the grounds are in order. 

11 minutes ago, RobB said:

Have a qualified electrician check all of the outlets in your house and make sure that the grounds are in order. 

This end of the house has the old 2 wire romex. Built in '46. 

1 minute ago, mathman said:

No RCA connections on the Focusrite. But thanks.

I inherited my dad's laptop and plugged the focusrite into it. No buzz so the noise is coming from being connected to my desktop. I did also plug in my wireless usb mouse to the laptop and it didn't cause any noise. Def my desktop computer. 

Not sure about the Pyle doohickey, but the ones I've used are Ebtech: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Ebtech

And this:  https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Ground-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ebtech&qid=1610342847&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-3

But, like Rob said, if everything has noise, yeah, upgrade some wiring.  

On 1/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, scottcald said:

Not sure about the Pyle doohickey, but the ones I've used are Ebtech: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Ebtech

And this:  https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Ground-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ebtech&qid=1610342847&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-3

But, like Rob said, if everything has noise, yeah, upgrade some wiring.  

Yeah, the Pyle looks like a shameless knockoff of the EBtech units.  Not that I want it to be $93 dollars instead of $29, but still...  at least make the box look different.

Well, I solved the problem. Seems one of my old hard drives was failing. Not sure why that would make a kind of static while I was working on things, moving my mouse, etc. But, I spent the last 2 days babying it and copying a couple-hundred gig over to another drive. Disconnected the bad drive, problem solved. Weird. I hate computers. Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably do some upgrades you guys mentioned while I'm at it. 

This drive was apparently causing Chrome and other things to crash as well even though it was just a file storage drive from several years ago. 

Thanks guys. 

• Ting Ho Dung changed the title to Buzzing sound through monitors........SOLVED
19 hours ago, scottcald said:

That makes sense too, but was only thinking of the audio chain.  A spinning hard drive or RAM can fail slowly over time and cause weird issues that are hard to pin on them.   

I only found out about it when my computer went into chkdsk upon rebooting. I didn't pay attention to it until it did it again. I have been rebooting more often lately because of other problems occuring. Then I noticed it wasn't my C drive but my H drive. There were a lot of downloads, documents, pictures, etc. from past years. I believe I got that drive in 2008 or so. So I babied the thing and copied those files to a new drive. Then I unplugged the H drive and booted up. Static was gone. I'm assuming it had something to do with active indexing since I really didn't access that drive physically very often. Like I said, I hate computers. 

I had a similar thing happen to me this past year. My PC wouldn't boot normally and kept going into CHKDSK forever. A lot of stuff out there about that but nothing worked... until I disconnected my 2nd drive and things started booting up again and things seemed fairly normal. I also had the weird move your mouse and weird noises came through the speakers. The weird thing was my recovery PC process which has always worked in the past, and even my various backups did not work! I thought it was the C drive all along but apparently it was the 2nd drive . BUT, in my frustration of trying everything before realizing that, I had basically did a new install on the C drive so now I basically have a new computer to setup (and install all my programs again!) yet it's sat there for the last almost year because I have such a block of dealing with it because of all the frustration I experienced and might experience doing all this crap over again. Not to mention that my 89 year old mom with Frontotemporal Dementia moved in to our house.  I had just bought a new MOTU interface and midi keyboard etc. for the recording I thought I'd be doing. Oh well, in the long run I personally feel it was God's way of guiding me to a simpler setup which I can now create. I def have a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be by running down every rabbit hole, trying every new instrument or VST etc.!!

Anyway, does anyone know if this means we were hit with a virus or something? I thought all booting took place on the C drive so why would a defective 2ndary drive affect that process? I'm just trying to understand this so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for any help!!!

21 hours ago, ZR said:

I had a similar thing happen to me this past year. My PC wouldn't boot normally and kept going into CHKDSK forever. A lot of stuff out there about that but nothing worked... until I disconnected my 2nd drive and things started booting up again and things seemed fairly normal. I also had the weird move your mouse and weird noises came through the speakers. The weird thing was my recovery PC process which has always worked in the past, and even my various backups did not work! I thought it was the C drive all along but apparently it was the 2nd drive . BUT, in my frustration of trying everything before realizing that, I had basically did a new install on the C drive so now I basically have a new computer to setup (and install all my programs again!) yet it's sat there for the last almost year because I have such a block of dealing with it because of all the frustration I experienced and might experience doing all this crap over again. Not to mention that my 89 year old mom with Frontotemporal Dementia moved in to our house.  I had just bought a new MOTU interface and midi keyboard etc. for the recording I thought I'd be doing. Oh well, in the long run I personally feel it was God's way of guiding me to a simpler setup which I can now create. I def have a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be by running down every rabbit hole, trying every new instrument or VST etc.!!

Anyway, does anyone know if this means we were hit with a virus or something? I thought all booting took place on the C drive so why would a defective 2ndary drive affect that process? I'm just trying to understand this so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for any help!!!

First, good luck with your mom. I'm in a similar situation but luckily my parents are able, for now, to afford assisted living. I just have all their shit piled all over my house wondering what to do with it. Secondly, As far as I can tell, (I got out of hardware when Active Index came around) it's all in the chain. No virus here. It was just a failing drive and files not going back to where they belong. So the computer is confused because its house is not being kept like it likes it to be. Once that part of the chain is removed the Active Index loses focus on that part of the house and dismisses it from its memory. Problem solved. But, as you said, this can take quite a bit out of you and your energy for such things where you don't want to deal with this part of your house as well. So just like all my parents shit piled all over the place, I'm wondering what to do with it just like the computer was wondering what to do with the mess on my H drive. So I boot up and look at it every morning and then just say fuck it for another day but it takes me a lot longer to get things done because I'm constantly moving it so I can access another part of the room. Then the next day I have to get to where I moved it the previous day and back it goes to where it was. But it won't be fixed until I remove it from my house. 

Archived