Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Johnny Ramones Hamer

How many times did I see them, seems like 10 times a year in the 80s... 10ft from JRs Marshall

2 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I wonder where it is now?

From 2016.

2 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Did you ever see them at CBGBs back  in the day?

No, but I did see them twice in '83; once at a local College (Iona, for all you Westchester, NY preppies), and then at Boston University.
The latter show was where I was belly up to the stage with my left ear within scraping distance of his Marshalls.

Somehow I lucked out with when I got to the venue and worked my way to the stage, thinking how fortunate I was until I realized that this was probably the last time I would have use of my left ear.
I spied a girl blowing her nose and asked if she had a (clean) tissue.  She handed it to me and I tore it in half, plugging my left ear with one half and gave the other half to my then girlfriend (the same gf with who I scalped Who tickets in Queens, detailed in another thread) to use in her ear.
Our right ears were facing away from the stage....they'll be fine - lol.

The soundman or guitar tech came out, grabbed Johnny's Mosrite from its position leaning against the amp (not on a stand), dimed all of the amp knobs, rolled the guitar's volume knob all of the way up, bashed out five A major chords and then rolled the guitar volume back to zero. 

The sound check was concluded. The crowd cheered.

It's funny what you remember about these moments in time.

I remember vividly, like it was just this morning, looking at Johnny's right forearm.
It was so much larger than his left, obviously from the God-like strumming prowess he possessed.
It was like Popeye's arm.  If Popeye could rowk.

I remember looking up from his massive forearm to his skinny bicep and then to his face where our eyes met and I realized that he was looking at me look at his arm.
His face said, "What's with this guy?"

Seriously.  Best concert memory ever.

5 hours ago, 0054 said:

How many times did I see them, seems like 10 times a year in the 80s... 10ft from JRs Marshall

I never got to see them…do tell about it….

11 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I never got to see them…do tell about it….

They were very sweaty and LOUD.  Either the loudest or second loudest band I ever saw.

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

They were very sweaty and LOUD.  Either the loudest or second loudest band I ever saw.

Very Loud, but not as loud as Motorhead, but both were eclipsed by... tadah.

Hall and Oats the loudest concert I ever attended. Took my neighbor (favor to her parents) to see them at the New Haven Colisuem, I had already been to a lot of loud shows (Ramones and Motorhead before) and they were easily so much louder. Aldo Novo and Joan Jett warmed up and they were not nearly as loud.

The sonic attack from Johnny Ramone was incredible, and he played really hard, always concentrating. Try playing three songs in a row, you'll be wiped out....

He also drove the van, had the plan... he wanted them to be able to retire... sadly they really didn't get that, did they?

At first blush you would think seeing them once would be enough... but they put on great shows, especially at places they were comfortable... at UConn may day or whatever, Joey looked like he was gonna die, gray skin... whew... they did thank the SOS band who preceded them. They played OK. Seeing them at Toads, it was a second home... it was incredible almost each show, even when I got bit on the forearm by a slob chick.... They were really tight.  They hated one another, Joey n Johnny over a chick, Dee Dee couldn't get high and poor Marky was in for the ride!

Clem Burke couldn't keep up with em, he was in them for 2 weeks and it wiped him out!

5 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Ever see Motorhead lol.

The  Ramones and Lemmy were cut from the same timber

I've seen Mothörhead perhaps 10 times over the years. First time must have been in 1984.  One of the two loudest concerts I've ever been to was an outdoor festival Motörhead show. It was so loud it was really painful. And back then I was hardened. But Mikkey Dee's toms were even louder in the mix. So everytime he did a roll over the toms it actually became silly loud. All I could do was laugh. The loudest show was Spiritualized, indoors, at a festival. I was drunk out of my head and that volume just sent me into some shaman trip. My ears rang for weeks. 

The bad thing is I can't remember if I ever saw The Ramones. I have been to festivals where they played. I might have been there. For sure not sober if I was, 'cause then I would have remembered. Bums me out.

I saw the Ramones at Foellinger Auditorium on the University of Illinois campus (Urbana) back in '81. The main thing I remember is the show was all about energy, nonstop from the get-go. I'd expect nothing less.

Rock and roll bands need energy. I don’t get the stand perfectly still and look cool thing on stage. I mean, Mick Taylor is a huge influence…but onstage, Keith had the energy…MT had the absolute perfect chops but damn, MOVE A LITTLE when playing live. 

I am going to see ZZ Top and  Thorogood on 6 August..George still has some energy, but I don’t expect much from the Top. Love their music and never got to see them BITD so I am still excited.

Again I ask, what bridge pickup did Johnny use? What a rocker.

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Again I ask, what bridge pickup did Johnny use? What a rocker.

Mark - According to him, he used DiMarzio Fat Strat pickups.  It’s the same thing he put in at least one of his Moserites.   I met him at a NAMM show almost 20 years ago when he was signing stuff for his new Signature Model, and I asked about the Hamer.  He looked at me like I had 9 heads, then said, “Yeah.  I said I wanted them to make it out of balsa wood - really light.   I put a Fat Strat in there because the Humbuckers didn’t cut through.  Never use the other one (pickup).” Then he signed my promo thingamajig, and was on to the next one in line.   When I walked back around, he flashed a Peace sign…at least I’m sure it wasn’t the middle finger! 😆 

Chris, that is awesome first hand testimony! Thanks so much! I think I will drift off to sleep tonight listening to the Ramones….

I don't know which one of these I find more amusing:

https://www.amazon.com/Ramones-Guitar-Anthology/dp/0769205941/ref=sr_1_1?crid=GZ8TPMO9V1W1&dchild=1&keywords=ramones+tab+book&qid=1625939577&sprefix=ramones+tab%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-1

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Ramones-Guitar-Play-Along-179/dp/1480387711/ref=sr_1_2?crid=GZ8TPMO9V1W1&dchild=1&keywords=ramones+tab+book&qid=1625939631&sprefix=ramones+tab%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-2

It's too bad that Premier Guitar never did a rig rundown with Johnny; that would have been as short as most of their songs. "That's my guitar, and that's my Marshall. Anything else ya wanna know?"

Archived