Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Can I replace a bass player with a pedal?

rugby1970

Question

So right now we don't have a bass player and it's not looking good to find one. Down here they're like unicorns.....and they act like it. We're just doing the garage band thing now; guitar, drums and keys/harp. Is there a pedal that can make and loop bass lines? One better than the others? Not for recording or playing out, just jamming. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Too bad I am 3 hours away. I could join in.

two options I use.  MIDI files or multitrack mogg files.  I use the mogg files to do songs when I play for the kids at school.  You can mute any of the instrument tracks and then play along.

quite a few songs available.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with playing bass lines on guitar, many a guitarist has combined both bass and guitar lines when bassists weren't available.  If you're doing 'scratch' recordings, you can always add more to the mix later.

Way back when, Telecasters were factory wired (in it's first two original versions) for a selectable, bassier sound which, if you had a Tele before the P-Bass came out in 1951, or you couldn't afford a second instrument, players could use to 'fake' bass:

History of Telecaster | Fender

It's been said that Brewster Phillips (Hound Dog Taylor) pretty much played 'guitar bass' on a Tele, on a number of Taylor's songs:

Hound Dog Taylor - Alligator Records - Genuine Houserockin' Music Since 1971

There ain't no shame for a guitarist to play bass, Lonnie Mack did it on the studio version of this Doors song.  If you're doing it live and have a few grand to spend, you could always go the vintage Ray Manzarek route by doubling on Fender Rhodes Keyboard Bass:

Otherwise, you could just play 'basic' bass on a bass guitar or a bassy electric six-string.  Who else is gonna notice?

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DigiTech Trio, or if you have a computer there, EZ Bass from Toontrack.  W/EZ Bass, you can essentially program songs if you want.

No experience with it, but it sounds like the Trio will respond to what you're playing.  EZ Bass I believe does something similar, but I don't know if it does it on the fly (no experience w/EZ Bass, but EZ Drummer 3 does it and isn't horrible at it).

Edited by alantig
  • Like 1