Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

tommy p

Members
  • Posts

    4,138
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by tommy p

  1. Yeah, because these are hanging in stores and man caves everywhere. Want!
  2. Thanks, Case - no reply at all thus far. I may ping him again.
  3. Oh, gotcha. I didn't know the history that well to know those other models came first. Still, I ended up with a Daytona and I guess a lot of other people did too so it worked at least a little bit.
  4. To me it's no different than basing some models on Les Paul doublecuts or Explorers. The Strat and Tele are a couple of the most popular shapes/styles and EVERYBODY seems to want one sooner or later, but not everyone wants a Fender. I've owned Fender Strats before and gotten rid of them but I kept looking for others because I really wanted to have one. Because I loved my Hamers, I eventually decided to stop looking at Fenders and look at Daytonas (and G&L Legacy's) instead. I just recently bought a Daytona and if I can find another I like someday I'll likely snatch it up. If you want to be big, you have some variety - a "full line" so to speak. I don't know who had the first SUV, but because it was successful now every major auto maker has full lines of them. maybe Hamer was just trying to cover all the bases.
  5. Emailed the dood. We'll see what happens.
  6. It's sad that FMIC didn't at least give a final gasp and say something like "no more orders after Dec 31," to let dealers/buyers get in under the closing gate. So now Fender has nailed the coffin lids on the two brands that I owned the most of over the years...Hamer and SUNN. It's a sad day but I guess better than FMIC having turned all Hamers into non-US made crap and slapping a Fender-ish logo on them to put them in Walmarts and Best Buys. We can only hope they simply mothball the brand and keep all the builders busy building Guilds, etc. until the economy recovers and then bring Hamer out of a hiatus. I personally believe Hamer's value to FMIC is that it is a way for Fender to make Gibson-ish guitars without being sued by Gibson. If FMIC ever decided on a clever way to market that, especially while Gibson is also presently hurting finacially, it could pull from Gibson's market share. Rather ironic how the timing of the release of the long hoped for Hamer Guitar book will work out as a eulogy. At first I read that as "Harmer" which some may have considered appropriate.
  7. Being a huge Cheap Trick fan, I always wondered if those crazy guitars Rick Nielsen played were any good. Then a guy who owned a few joined my band. Years later in 2007 I discovered this forum. I still feel late to the party, but in those years I've learned a ton about Hamer guitars (and all kinds of other brands and equipment as well). In those 5 years, I've seen some amazing guitars on here and was moved to buy 4 Hamers: one new '59 Burst Standard, a Zandard from Bubs, a Special that I had refinished checkerboard, and most recently the first S-style guitar I ever liked, a natural Daytona. I already had in mind a CO for my 50th birthday in a couple of years. Sad day, but the Hamers I have live on and hopefully so will this forum. I'm happy to have both.
  8. This is a great place, full of great people. It saddens me when I hear people brag about the opposite action than the one Disturber took. The refund is received, then the item arrives, and they jump for joy that they "got over".
  9. The Great White of basses (the instrument, not the fish). Totally badass.
  10. Never liked them growing up, but I did have Creatures of the Night and Ace's solo album. The drummer and bass player in my band LOVE them so I gave them another shot a few years ago and now I like something off of pretty much every album and I actually bought Sonic Boom. I think I'll be getting this one too.
  11. The video is funny and catchy as hell, and SNL used it hilariously. Best season opener they've had in a looooooong time.
  12. just ordered the version with bonus tracks yesterday. anxiously awaiting arrival. big fan.
  13. I'm going to have to look back into his stuff. The only full album of his I have is Jumpin' Jive, but my band did pick up Is She Really Going Out With Him recently. Cool chords in that one.
  14. Silk purse from a sow's ear. Cool look.
  15. I'd love for a DC jam to happen. I'm a couple of hours away and would definitely attend that one.
  16. Totally cool! Don't do it! I'll sell you my well-cared for copy for $320. It was almost over before I realized that was John Paul Jones on bass (I think).
  17. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll listen to that tomorrow.
  18. On the "Best Year" topic, I think we all have our own definition of that. Mine is '79, although '76, '77, '78, and '80 were good for me too. I've had this discussion with MANY people over the years and it seems like a lot of us think the best year(s) in music was right around the time we were 13-17 years old. That's certainly true in my case.
  19. Lots of Blackberry Smoke. Saw them last Thursday and again last night. GREAT band!
  20. Sounds awesome! You're one of the good ones.
  21. Another Perfect Day is my favorite too. The songs may not have been as "Motorhead" as the earlier albums, but I think most people would have to concede the guitar playing was probably the best they've ever had. YMMV.
  22. I was waiting for a KAPOW-worthy moment but didn't see it either. I think we all still kind of expect the worst when Eddie and Dave get together.
  23. Dang! I have tickets to the Hampton, VA show in July. I hope everything works out.
×
×
  • Create New...