Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Epiphanies" that make you sell guitars

salem

Hi. During the course of learning guitar, and buying guitars, I have grown and changed and made discoveries about what type of instrument inspires me.

Although I have five electrics, right now I feel that I only want two electric guitars: a butterscotch tele and a sunburst strat. These two instruments are steeped in tradition and I feel they would inspire me to play the kind of bluesy rock guitar that I like.

This "epiphany" may make me sell my other electrics at a loss so I can obtain good versions of the tele and strat. I'm just wondering if you have made drastic decisions concerning your guitars like this. Perhaps you decided that you would sell every instrument you have to get that one special guitar. Were you sorry? Or is this simply a part of the learning and growing process?

i found i prefer wider necks and so sold off my guitars with narrower necks...

also found that while jumbo frets work great for me on lead licks, they tend to irritate my left forefinger on barre chords....so i currently have no jumbo frets but would buy another for lead use only...

and observing all sizes of rodentia flee my warm house and run into the snow.

:ph34r::) too funny!

Epiphs are that I was just as happy, or happier, over the years with 1 good guitar that made the noises I wanted. I wasn't a multiple guitar guy until the internet age happened.

my most recent epiphany is that i can't buy as many guitars as i used to cuz i can't sell any....they're all keepers...

This "epiphany" may make me sell my other electrics at a loss so I can obtain good versions of the tele and strat. I'm just wondering if you have made drastic decisions concerning your guitars like this. Perhaps you decided that you would sell every instrument you have to get that one special guitar. Were you sorry? Or is this simply a part of the learning and growing process?

I'm going through the same thing in my head right now. I can sell off a bunch of guitars to get this custom made Lentz I've been dreaming of.

I'm not there yet, but getting damn close. WTF am I doing with 19 guitars (16 Hamers, 2 G&L, 1 Heritage) and am still nowhere near the skill level I wanna be? Not that there is some magical correlation between higher skill and fewer guitars (re: see Rick Nielsen, Eric Clapton, etc.).

On the other hand, am finding it very difficult to part with almost any of them. Feel like Golem, hoarding "my pretties". LOL.

I currently have at least one of each Rock/Blues guitar example you can think of. A Tele, Strat(2), LP(Humbuckers), SG(P90's), 335, Hamer Studio(2).

I came to realize I had limited ability a long time ago. The fact that most folks on this board could smoke my ass doesn't bother me. My playing, fiddle phucking, whatever you call it, it is a major release for me.

When the occasional joyful noise that passes for music comes out though my hands it makes it all worthwhile.

I don't know what the buying vs selling % is (they gotta make money after all), but there is one in Falls Church called Action Music/Guitar. I believe he (Matt) is pretty selective. There's another one in College Park MD area, Atomic Music, that would be a bit more able/open to buying anything used that is good.

:)

Mine end up 2 ways...

OMG i have gas and need 3 new guitars to compensate for said gas....

or

OMG why do i own this many guitars...

then i end up owning more than i sold off to begin with... so its a never ending circle of madness

Randy :ph34r:

we don't have to be great players to love the feeling we get when we play....sometimes i can sit and play 2 chords for 20 minutes and enjoy every second of it....it comes from the feel, the sound, and the emotion....since we emote thru our playing, it is both a release and an artistic creation...

and different guitars can inspire us to create different impressions of emotion...

sure some of us buy too many and spend too much money....

other guys put $20k into a $5k car....

or $8k into a home theater system...

or $15k per year into a high maintenance female companion....

me?....i'll stick with a $2k car, $1k home theater, cheap slut (Greg and BCR staff will know of whom i speak, LOL), and $20k in guitar gear....cuz i know what makes me happy...

I'd say there are damned few that would make me start selling guitars. The only one that ever made me sell guitars was a Rivoli (EB-3) bass from the early '60's USA/Gibson era that had a British Invasion history attached to it. I parted ways with an early Music Man Sabre to get it.

OH! Epiphanies that made you sell guitars.... I thought you said EPIPHONES..... :ph34r:

It is funny that I am reading this, as I just finished tuning and playing 12 of my 24 strong collection.

I have been thinking of further thinning the herd. I am down to 24 from 30.

The thing is....I really do enjoy playing each and every guitar I own. Even if any given guitar's time to be played only comes around once, or twice a month.

Still I do play every day.

All this said, I am not precious about any of my guitars and sell off any guitar anytime I can make a good profit.

I guess I am really just a pipeline through which fine instruments flow...java script:emoticon('%3C_%3C',%20'smid_1')

:ph34r:

"Epiphany sell-off #1": A divorce in 1977 (flat ****ing broke, indeed...)

"Epiphany sell-off #2": Loss of a day job due to machinations beyond my control, and this is "gradually ongoing"; i.e., self-respect means I still want to contribute as much as possible to household income, even though my wife is the breadwinner and has been for years. I had 97 instruments when the "termination" came about almost 10 years ago; now down to less than 40.

"Epiphany sell-off #3": Vision deterioration (due to age, mostly) means stage instruments need to be maple fretboard w/ black dots or large pearl markers w/ white binding on a rosewood or ebony neck (think: LP Custom) so I can see what I'm doing. Even sold a custom-made instrument recently that had a rosewood 'board, abalone dots, and no neck binding; I was simply too uncomfortable trying to play it anymore.

My Epiphany was that after playing for 20 years, I discovered the basic three guitar: Tele, Strat and Les Paul. These guitars are the most popular for a reason. I had always avoided them like the plauge. It is nice to plug in a guitar and just get the sound of the old records because it is built into the guitar. That is if you find very good examples of the classics and get the right pickups put into them.

Guest Meshuggah

Heh. Beat me to it Tom

Ehpifannys:

$1300 - replace glasses left at bottom of White River, Ocho Rios, Jamaica

$1300 - wife decides to get a new set too

$250 - new tyres for mini-van, Michelin

$2500 - redo kitchen ceiling where shower leaked, plus wife wants to redo bathroom since we are at it

$4-5000 - add small screened in back porch while the guy is here fixing the kitchen ceiling

$2000 - put aside for trip to CajunJam, money for hospital bills and fines

Archived