Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Newport Appreciation Thread

Sam

Yes its mahogany. Whenever we did a prototype mock up (that would not be completely finished as in this case) we just used whatever we had in the scrap pile. Notice the worm hole by the control holes. Also, notice this one has a slightly different control layout than the production model (2 volume, 1 tone and switch like on the Studios, Artists etc but angled). We actually built a completely finished prototype with this control layout but the Bigsby got in the way of the switch in that position. Also notice that there are just enough frets installed to allow us to measure and set the proper neck angle.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice the worm hole by the control holes.

Hamer could make that a selling point: "The guitar that will transport you across the universe [of tone]."

Pardon my ignorance, as I am still somewhat new to the Hamer world:

Why are the tailpieces on non-Bigsby Newports so far back? They look out of place to me.

The tailpiece was placed in a position to give the Stop tailpiece models the same overall string length and "feel" as the Bigsby models.

Quite an old thread. In the meantime, I bought one myself.

Mr. Gorch. What bridge is that, is it a roller and how do you like it? Has it noticeably improved your tuning stability? Any noticeable effect on tone?

Thanks

Well,

What bridge is that, is it a roller? Yes, it's a Schaller roller bridge. Easy to replace.

... and how do you like it? I like it. Fine-tuning to intonation and string width adjustment possible. Very simple but effective.

Has it noticeably improved your tuning stability? Yes, it did.

Any noticeable effect on tone? No, no noticeable effect on the tone.

To be honest, as far as the Bigsby is intended to function I would even install a roller-nut if something like this would be available.

I did not know they exist, but they do. :lol:

Here is the roller nut:

- Fender LSR roller nut

- Cort G250

- GN0264NT-CHR

Seems to work for Fender type necks only.

Is anyone available for my Newport, though? :rolleyes:

Another one "as nature intended" in the nearly impossible to photograph orange sparkle...

DSC_0201.jpg

When BruceM had this listed for sale on our local Craigslist my girlfriend saw me drooling over it and said "I'll buy it for you...just go get it." She and the Newport Pro are both keepers :rolleyes:

Yes all Maple with a Birdseye Top, Ebony fretboard/Mahogany neck and Victory Inlays starting at the 1st fret instead of the third.

I love the guitar. Took a bit of tweaking on the Seths but they are dialed in real nice now. MOF I don't turn back the Tone at all on my Twin Reverb. So brightness isn't a issue at all.

My thinking was to get the woods/guitar as close as I could to a 336/356 but go with Hamers craftmanship instead of Gibsons. I'm very happy with it.

The one that started it all......

DSCN0071.jpg

Thanks again for sharing this, Bob. What an amazing piece of Hamer history.

Love that "designer" pic !

This is a picture from my Korina, my daughter made for school.

I love it, altough it's hard to identify a Hamer in it.

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

nice ice tea! I'm not a big fan of bursts but that is sweet.

yeah Fengato, black over spuce was a no-no. at some point BCR greg convinced them to build one for Tone Junkie and then ordered one for his shop. the one in the pic is the one I bought off the wall at BCR. I later bought TJ's as a back up but flipped it a couple years later. I think there might be one other spuce topped blackie out there.

You're the one! Couldn't remember who I got TJs old one from. Has a BCR Greg big-assed neck and gold hardware. Agonized over buying it when TJ put it up for sale, so when you decided to let it go, it was fate.

blackgoldie1.jpg

One of BFs pics.

Here's the current configuration. It's a 2001 Newport Pro. The black hardware just never looked quite right to me, so the pickup rings were swapped out for creme ones, the switch tip was swapped to creme, and the knobs replaced with clear speed knobs. The tuners have been replaced with Grover 18:1 locking machines (no good pictures of those).

DSCF0883.jpg

The black knobs were ok but not perfect.

DSCF0879.jpg

Here it is in all original trim.

DSCN2313.jpg

DSCN2328.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

Beautiful retro outfit now. Now it cries for a tweed case with red lining and a tweed strap.

Archived