Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bass Amp recommendations


Recommended Posts

Posted

Looks like I may be picking up the bass duties for a blues/R&R band. I'm seeking recommendations for a bass amp. The amp will be used for rehearsals and small club gigs. The bass is a '90 Hamer Cruise setneck with EMG P&J pups.

The guitar players each have 30 watts. The drummer is NOT BONHAM but he's not shy either, he gets a respectable drum volume level.

I tried out a G-K Backline 115 combo today at the Guitar Center friendly price of $299. But man does that model ever receive a consistent bad rating for reliability on HarmCent, so I think I'm gonna steer clear. Also tried an Ampeg B100R, looks cool, sound OK, but I felt it was a wee bit pricey at $559 for what it was. Tried a Fender Rumble 100, priced at $349, seemed OK except for the disco/alien light show under the speaker (ya gotta go see it somewhere, its worth a chuckle or 2).

Any recommendations? Am I in the right power range at 100w? Of course I'd luv to find something for under $350. ;-) Thanks in advance for the help.

Noonan

Posted

Hey Caddie, in case this might interest you, I have an early 70's Ampeg B25B head (60 watts, all tube) for sale for under $350. It's like a mini-SVT. I think it sounds amazing.

b25b.jpg

Posted

Are you going to have any PA support? 100 W isn't going to go very far with a strong drummer.

I'd look for a used SWR Workingman's combo, Hartke Kickback or Nemesis (Eden) combo. Nothing wrong with the Ampeg stuff, I just don't think the value is there buying new.

Peace,

MoJohn

Posted

Check your PM. I have something that might interest you.

Posted

I have a Hartke Kickback 12 that blows away that Ampeg combo. I tried them side by side and bought the Hartke immediately. They're over $400 new, but try evilbay.

Posted

I would really like to get one of those Hartke Kickbacks. I have liked every one I have heard or tried out. I like them better than my old SWR Workingman 15.

Posted

You want cheap. I've got a Peavey 112 or something like that. It's small enough to be portable, 60 watts, which is plenty for small clubs or rehearsals (larger venues you'll likely want to be miked or go direct anyway) and it is CHEAP. I got mine in nearly new condition for $100. They're all over the place and are easy as hell to use. I got one to jump quickly into a bass slot with a band and it worked out so well that I put off buying my full rig for a while simply because I didnt' need it. One of these with a BassDriver DI (which you'll WANT anyway) and you're set until you want to get a more serious rig.

Posted

I've had a Hartke Kickback 12 for 8 years now and I recommend it hands down.

Lots of tonal control; adequate power as an onstage monitor (plus the point-it-at-your-face feature); a balanced output to go to the PA when you get the big gigs.

I play primarily 5-string basses, fretted and fretless. I'm very happy with the low-B response of the Kickback.

Sam Ash is listing them as $399. If you live near one of their stores they may do better.

Posted

If you're looking for a new amp w/warranty, it's hard to beat the Ashdown MAG series. Great reviews from the British mags convinced me to buy one and I'm very pleased with it. The reviews gushed about these being the undisputed "bang for the buck" bass combos in the sub $500.00 catagory.

Mine sounds great, is simple to use and appears to be very well constructed. Here's a link:

Ashdown Bass combos at Zzounds

If you're going for used, it's hard to beat some of the old Peavey stuff. I used a (then) 10+ year old Mark IV for years with a LOUD country band. I think I paid $60.00 for it and sold it for about twice that when I was done with it. The Ampeg amps are great too.

Posted

Hey guys,

I saw the posting for somebody looking for a bass combo amp. I currently own an SWR Super Redhead combo amp (pre-Fender). It has a 2x10 cabinet with a 350 watt head w/ a tube preamp built in . I run a Sansamp Bass Driver DI box in front of the amp to give that beefy Ampeg like tone. It's loud, punchy and versatile.

Thank God, I had this amp. My bass player's Eden Traveler 400 amp and cabinet went out at the gig on Friday night. I had to run home at the beginning of the 1st set to get my bass amp to help out my bass player. The amp performed solidly and was loaned to my bass player the next night for a gig with his other band.

I bought mine used from a guy who works for Bass Player magazine for $700.00. It sound even more cool when you connect a 1x15 or 4x10 cabinet underneath it. It gives out more power and makes it really punchy.

Guitar George

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...