Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Return of the Bench Report

BCR Greg

Question

I have had requests to post bench reports again(it has been quite a while since I have done so), so I thought I'd show you this little gem....

This one should be a challenge.

Before.jpg

Before2.jpg

BeforeBody.jpg

2003 R7 with a Braz board and an unlucky past. The owner claims that it fell down the stairs, but this sort of damage is beyond what a stairwell can do.....

Clamps are my best friends.....

Clamped.jpg

Sanded, ready for lacquer. 8 pieces of mahogany between the heel and tip of the headstock......

NeckSanded.jpg

Sprayed and drying.....

Sprayed.jpg

The dark areas are actually endgrain of mahogany fills in between the splints and the original wood.

We are getting somewhere....

Oh, GEE! I found a pair of nasty old warped 50's PAFs in a box under the bench. What SHALL I do with them?

GTassy.jpg

The finished neck repair as the tuners are installed.

GTNeckfinished.jpg

Did I mention that it's 8.5 lbs?

Yah. __________________

20 answers to this question

The owner claims that it fell down the stairs, but this sort of damage is beyond what a stairwell can do.....

Yah. __________________

Angry wife? Was he holdin' out on cash, or had a little punane on the side?

Hey Greg, nice work. If that had been a 3 piece mahogany neck, could you have fixed it, or would it have likely broken differently? That's pretty wild how it was basically "decapitated".

I'm guessing an angry wife/girlfriend/boyfriend did this.

Z

Hey Greg, nice work. If that had been a 3 piece mahogany neck, could you have fixed it, or would it have likely broken differently? That's pretty wild how it was basically "decapitated".

I'm guessing an angry wife/girlfriend/boyfriend did this.

Z

A 3 piece neck would have put up more of a fight. As to whether I could fix it?

I CAN FIX ANY GUITAR!!!!!

So here it was upon reassembly...

R7Ranger.jpg

GTFinalTruck.jpg

Some recent pics, sporting GregWinds and some checking to make it look less like it was stomped in high heels and more like a vintage goldtop that has seen some use....

R7Dirt.jpg

R7Mars.jpg

This guitar is now a permanent member of my stage arsenal, and it FEELS like my vintage Pauls. I didn't think I could fix it, so we are all impressed at this one!

Archived