django49 Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 My grandmother was born under a monarchy in Eurpoe in 1900 and came to the US after lightning struck the barn and burned it down. With her husband, they opened a tavern and did okay. They dabbled in real estate on the side and did better. One bit of wisdom she left me with: "it is easy to buy and hard to sell." I think of that every time I think I spot a bargain on eBay.Great old school wisdom there. Quite true.Gotta take a deep breath and see how fast the GAS attack passes.......With so many great instruments out there (including some of mine), in mint condition, and NOT moving at 30% of list price (and half my cost--bought new), I am coming around to thinking I need to be a LOT more cautious on the front end.. Even for what seems a "relative" bargain.
cloakerz Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 had a scarry transaction my self on ebay a little while back. sold a Nash tele for $1500, my asking price, but the buyer had ZERO feedback. I figured I would never get paid or would get scammed somehow but the buyer paid and I shipped it. All went well but I felt quite nervous for some time.
kizanski Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 had a scarry transaction my self on ebay a little while back. sold a Nash tele for $1500, my asking price, but the buyer had ZERO feedback. I figured I would never get paid or would get scammed somehow but the buyer paid and I shipped it. All went well but I felt quite nervous for some time.So you sold a guitar for your asking price and the guy paid for it?Dammit, man, you're going to keep me up all night with that horror story!
fractal Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 I have been limiting myself to forum-selling lately. I know I'm not getting as much as if I go to ebay, but I have less worry about the transactions. Actually, with all of the fees, I may be doing okay...
spanky Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 Feels better knowing I am not alone in my Ebay woes. The troubles with Ebay have slowed my GAS way down.... I have had some really great transactions but a few hard lessons as well;1- seller listed item indicating checking not through the nitro, I asked a question about the severity, he said it his luthier gave it thumbs up... it was a neck crack. He had over 100 feedback with a 98% rating2- seller never sent a guitar after I paid, took months to sort out. I was pissed everytime I looked at it and sold it weeks after recieving it.3- I sold a guitar, took decent pictures and described it wear and tear in detail, asked for questions before purchase. The buyer demanded a percentage funds returned for denys already described and pictured in listing. I gave it to him feeling in the end it wasn't worth the hassle to fight it.My local market is very small, I should be selling off a few items but am quite cautious to use the bay. Also, this is a bad market right now, I'd still take the loss but don't want the associated Ebay BS.
sledhead44 Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 The troubles with Ebay have slowed my GAS way down.... Same here...I saw two obvious FAKE Gibson Les Pauls this week alone. I reported one to ebay as the seller was actually trying to sell it off as the real deal, the other one I just let the seller know it was a fake because I don't think they knew it (or were they just claiming to not know alot about guitars?)Makes me worried to bid on a guitar that may end up to be a fake.
Caddie Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 Price check on Aisle Ebay. IMHO When it comes to gear I use Ebay as a price check guide., I buy n sell locally. True, ebay reaches a wider audience of buyers and sellers. By the same token it reaches a wider audience of thieves.Just my $0.07. (adjusted up from $0.02 to compensate for the looming inflation tsunami)caddie
jwhitcomb3 Posted January 26, 2012 Posted January 26, 2012 I still sell on ebay. Even with the fee hikes, the market exposure nets a better price than selling local. My two bad experiences are far outweighed by the positive results.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.