Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

eBay - Guitar Selling Trouble


Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170765855678?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

I buy and sell frequently on eBay. I listed a Hamer Artist last week. It only had two bids which I was happy with. However the last bidder bid 4 minutes before the end of the auction and has only 2 feedback. The feedback is on little knick knack trinkets and nothing music related. I'm not expecting to get paid. However this is the second or third time this has happened to me when trying to sell guitars. I never have this problem when selling any other item, but guitars.

My question is why would someone bid on something with no intention to pay or why would you high jack someone else's account and bid on something you don't plan on paying for. Why do I only have this problem with guitars? I realize some sellers have two accounts and bid up there own items. I've seen it, but I've never done it.

My thought is someone else is trying to sell a similar item on eBay and they don't want the competition. But that makes no sense because there was already a bid on the guitar. Another thought would be maybe a scammer is trying to Phish information from me. Mean while I do have a possible buyer emailing me about the guitar. Maybe he's the scammer?

It is frustrating because eBay makes you wait a week before reporting such cases. What a pain...

Posted

Ebay sucks.

cold fucking day in hell if I have to sell on that piece of shit again.

I do buy.

People are playing games on ebay now, its a form of tactical sadistacal pleasurable entertainment.

there getting there kix.

Posted

My thought is someone else is trying to sell a similar item on eBay and they don't want the competition.

I think I've only had one non paying bidder on a guitar auction. He emailed me seconds after the auction was over and said he had to back out, because he could not afford it.

Now... I listed an item, complete with some unique modifications, all described in the auction. Couple days later there's a similar item listed. The guy copied my description word for word to include my unique mods. He made sure his auction ended before mine did. I guess he thought he could sell his first, and knock me out perhaps. I agree people play games.

Posted

Preach the gospel long enough, you'll get some converts, Chris! (no religious content implied, nor intended)

Posted

I never have trouble selling, but buying is another story. You have to remember that you are dealing wilh people. Its not that "Ebay Sucks", its that in general "People Suck" !!!

Posted

I only sell on ebay if a really need to. There has been more scammers and unreliable people buillt up over the years.

Selling guitars seems to be one of those unfortunate ones too. I sell other items besides guitars on ebay, but none compare to the frauds and morons I face when selling guitars on there.

Posted

The really annoying thing about this explosion of scumbags on feebay, is that as a seller you have no re-course. At least in the past you could hurt their feedback rating. Now there is no protection as a seller. You are out your time which equates to 2 weeks by the time you can relist the item. Its really fun when some d-bag wins several of your auctions and he is over seas and of course your auction clearly states that you dont do buisness over seas! Feebay has really gone down the tubes. Pity.

Posted

I've had that happen to me a few times. The only thing you can do is wait a week and relist it. Sucks.

Posted

I've had that happen to me a few times. The only thing you can do is wait a week and relist it. Sucks.

Actually that's not the only thing you can do. Something else you can do is take the hint and stop using eBay to wheel and deal luxury items on the internet.

eBay sucks because it attracts people who suck, in addition to the monopolistic structure that its put in place over the years.

Posted

I've only had one bad experience, and it was more weird than bad. A guy shipped me a Gibby firebird in it's case ... Ie no box, he just slapped a label on the case. The case got dinged up obviously but the guitar was OK. The Fed Ex guy was a guitar player, and he stopped by my house 2 times the same day until I was around to deliver it ... Didn't want an obvious guitar to just lie around.

Dave in your case, I'd be surprised if the bidder doesn't pay. He's getting a great deal. I mean heck, I'm tempted!

Posted

I've only had one bad experience, and it was more weird than bad. A guy shipped me a Gibby firebird in it's case ... Ie no box, he just slapped a label on the case. The case got dinged up obviously but the guitar was OK. The Fed Ex guy was a guitar player, and he stopped by my house 2 times the same day until I was around to deliver it ... Didn't want an obvious guitar to just lie around.

Dave in your case, I'd be surprised if the bidder doesn't pay. He's getting a great deal. I mean heck, I'm tempted!

I had an ebay seller ship me a guitar in just the Gig Bag in regular mail. No Box at all WTF? Gig Bag showed up with address lables and stickers right on it. I was scared to even open it up... and as I did pieces of headstock fell out. Took me about 5-6 months to finally get reimbursed from the post office.

OK Sorry for the Hijack dhuber. I wish you luck with your buyers.

Posted

My grandmother was born under a monarchy in Eurpoe in 1900 and came to the US after lightning struck the barn and burned it down. With her husband, they opened a tavern and did okay. They dabbled in real estate on the side and did better. One bit of wisdom she left me with: "it is easy to buy and hard to sell." I think of that every time I think I spot a bargain on eBay.

Posted

I've had issues with a few non-payers, but the range of feedback was 4 up to 300. So it's tough. On a guitar, I ALWAYS put in the listing that anyone bidding who has under 10 feedback needs to contact me first or I cancel their bid outright.

Posted

I've been very lucky over the years, selling hundreds of guitars on ebay, but as I said recently, that's not the reason I'm done selling there.

$750 in fees selling 8 guitars is nothing short of ass rape.

Posted

Great Guitar!

Hope your sale goes through

Posted

I've been very lucky over the years, selling hundreds of guitars on ebay, but as I said recently, that's not the reason I'm done selling there.

$750 in fees selling 8 guitars is nothing short of ass rape.

This.

If you *need* to sell fast, eBay hits a large market, but expect to take a hit in fees.

Posted

I've only had one bad experience, and it was more weird than bad. A guy shipped me a Gibby firebird in it's case ... Ie no box, he just slapped a label on the case. The case got dinged up obviously but the guitar was OK. The Fed Ex guy was a guitar player, and he stopped by my house 2 times the same day until I was around to deliver it ... Didn't want an obvious guitar to just lie around.

Dave in your case, I'd be surprised if the bidder doesn't pay. He's getting a great deal. I mean heck, I'm tempted!

I had an ebay seller ship me a guitar in just the Gig Bag in regular mail. No Box at all WTF? Gig Bag showed up with address lables and stickers right on it. I was scared to even open it up... and as I did pieces of headstock fell out. Took me about 5-6 months to finally get reimbursed from the post office.

OK Sorry for the Hijack dhuber. I wish you luck with your buyers.

I've only had one bad experience, and it was more weird than bad. A guy shipped me a Gibby firebird in it's case ... Ie no box, he just slapped a label on the case. The case got dinged up obviously but the guitar was OK. The Fed Ex guy was a guitar player, and he stopped by my house 2 times the same day until I was around to deliver it ... Didn't want an obvious guitar to just lie around.

Dave in your case, I'd be surprised if the bidder doesn't pay. He's getting a great deal. I mean heck, I'm tempted!

I had a similar experience with a Gibson SG around 2004. The guy took the guitar/case and put it in a too big of box with no other packing. Probably would have been better off in just the case alone. Likewise, it arrived with a completely broken neck joint. I actually think it was broken before he shipped it and he was simply trying to scam me.

He then tried to say that another company packaged the guitar and that he wasn't responsible for the damages. It took me over 6 months of filing reports with USPS to get my money back, but I finally did. That was the last used guitar off ebay. Now I only buy them new from dealers and I've never had any problems since. Even got my Hamer Korina V in lefthand off Ebay.

Posted

I've only had one bad experience, and it was more weird than bad. A guy shipped me a Gibby firebird in it's case ... Ie no box, he just slapped a label on the case. The case got dinged up obviously but the guitar was OK. The Fed Ex guy was a guitar player, and he stopped by my house 2 times the same day until I was around to deliver it ... Didn't want an obvious guitar to just lie around.

Dave in your case, I'd be surprised if the bidder doesn't pay. He's getting a great deal. I mean heck, I'm tempted!

I had an ebay seller ship me a guitar in just the Gig Bag in regular mail. No Box at all WTF? Gig Bag showed up with address lables and stickers right on it. I was scared to even open it up... and as I did pieces of headstock fell out. Took me about 5-6 months to finally get reimbursed from the post office.

OK Sorry for the Hijack dhuber. I wish you luck with your buyers.

A good time to show how I got a Vector once. The case had a shipping label on it, and I think USPS told him "nice try".

Amazingly, it arrived in one piece.

vector-case.jpg

Posted

Once bought a Fender Twin Reverb on eBay (from a dealer no less). They shipped it in an oversized box with NO packing material. It rattled when it was delivered....Must have dropped it from a decent height. The tubes were shattered, the speaker baffle was broken in half, the speakers had torn cones. Not salvageable. I did get the funds back without too much hassle. But you have to wonder what some people are thinking.....Or smoking.

Posted

My grandmother was born under a monarchy in Eurpoe in 1900 and came to the US after lightning struck the barn and burned it down. With her husband, they opened a tavern and did okay. They dabbled in real estate on the side and did better. One bit of wisdom she left me with: "it is easy to buy and hard to sell." I think of that every time I think I spot a bargain on eBay.

Great old school wisdom there. Quite true.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...