Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2017 Challenge

JimiH

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Challenge update from me who chose to get some travis picking under my belt. I bought a thumb pick ala Chet Atkins but soon realised the all my limited picking skills would be made redundant if I continued. Plus it was a bitch to get used to anyway, so I chose flat picking which lets me continue with my picking and travis stuff at the same time. I'm not practicing at the moment due to tips of my fingers being red raw on my picking hand 😩

No pain no gain I guess 👍

Geoff

My 2017 project will be to record a version of Badfinger's "Name of the Game" - specifically the George Martin version you can hear here:

I'm going to try to do a fully orchestrated version including George Martin's orchestral score either using a sampler or by arranging it for guitar etc... I'll continue to do other projects through the year as well but this one will take some time because of the complexity

• 1 month later...

I've decided to add to my challenge a generic sort of goal.  I plan to learn more of Flea's riffs from the RHCP.  I may not learn the entire songs  but I plan to learn a bunch of the songs and my favorite parts.   I am starting with the BSSM album (blood sugar sex magic)  but he seems to have played a 5 string on some of those songs.  I only have a 4 string cruise so I will either drop tune or skip some of them.

The first one I learned was for our band reunion.  The recording on this is not the best.  we didn't get good volume levels and the drums are too strong.

Second one so far is. Righteous and the Wicked. This one is a stretch.  He seems to have played a 5 string and I am tuning the E string to B and stretching to reach some notes that I can't reach easily playing this on a 4 string.  Still, it is an great bass riff.   http://kirkpitts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/RHCP-rightous-and-wicked-Export.mp3

Third one was Sir Psycho Sexy.  Just started learning it tonite:  http://kirkpitts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sir-psycho-first-take.mp3

Still working on the original's remixing.

My 2017 challenge is to improve in recording and work out a song that started with a rhythm on the Newport. I'd like to completely play it on the Newport if it's not to much of a tonal challenge.

On 2017-03-03 at 6:17 PM, mathman said:

I've decided to add to my challenge a generic sort of goal.  I plan to learn more of Flea's riffs from the RHCP.  I may not learn the entire songs  but I plan to learn a bunch of the songs and my favorite parts.   I am starting with the BSSM album (blood sugar sex magic)  but he seems to have played a 5 string on some of those songs.  I only have a 4 string cruise so I will either drop tune or skip some of them.

The first one I learned was for our band reunion.  The recording on this is not the best.  we didn't get good volume levels and the drums are too strong.

Second one so far is. Righteous and the Wicked. This one is a stretch.  He seems to have played a 5 string and I am tuning the E string to B and stretching to reach some notes that I can't reach easily playing this on a 4 string.  Still, it is an great bass riff.   http://kirkpitts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/RHCP-rightous-and-wicked-Export.mp3

Third one was Sir Psycho Sexy.  Just started learning it tonite:  http://kirkpitts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sir-psycho-first-take.mp3

Still working on the original's remixing.

Some monster grooves on that album for the bass for sure -- I love Sir PSycho... great great groove - so cool to hear you play that.

I'll play!!!

I've been working on "China Doll," one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs. Was surprised to learn a few weeks ago that Garcia and Hunter used "The Suicide Song" as a working title. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful and haunting work. Between my guitar and vocal chops, I'm certain to render it unrecognizable whether I intend to or not!!!

@mathman, "Sir Psycho Sexy" is my favorite RHCP song. Was very happy when they played it at the ACL festival a few years back. Will be fun to see what you do with it!

I'm working on a boatload of classical pieces, 2/3rds of which are Bach. My basic guidelines are - if it was written for the violin, use that score, and if it's become part of standard classical guitar repertoire, I have to use something different. No "classical crossover" crap with a techno drum beat, and use distortion whenever possible.

But to be specific about a project - 1st movement, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D major. I will have to master some picking techniques I suck at, like sweep arpeggios. Where I'm at now, I estimate the difficulty as being something part "Cliffs of Dover" and part "Through the Fire and Flames".....I'm giving myself 50/50 odds at finishing it by the end of the year.

• 6 months later...

So, I spent the summer working on a bathroom remodel rather than music and guitars.   

But I hope to finish the challenge and get my album published before the years end.  I have a few songs that still need vocals but I am not going to do much if any rerecording for the songs I have mostly finished at this point. Why? Time.

First song that I am trying to finalize is an older song that I think I started writing in 2007 or so.  

Better that you know.

Almost done....solo album needs one more song, and my old school RNR collaborative project is in mixdown. Then I’ll master it. 

I should make it by 31 Dec.....

3 hours ago, mathman said:

Better that you know.

Wow --- this is pretty cool -- very "Cars-esque".... in fact I could imagine this as a Cars song if it had Keys. Great 80's power pop influence on that for sure.

5 hours ago, mathman said:

That's the kirkest thing I have ever seen. :D

16 hours ago, Dasein said:

Wow --- this is pretty cool -- very "Cars-esque".... in fact I could imagine this as a Cars song if it had Keys. Great 80's power pop influence on that for sure.

Sorta a blend of Cars and Cheap Trick is how I likened it.   Thanks

21 hours ago, mathman said:

So, I spent the summer working on a bathroom remodel rather than music and guitars.   

But I hope to finish the challenge and get my album published before the years end.  I have a few songs that still need vocals but I am not going to do much if any rerecording for the songs I have mostly finished at this point. Why? Time.

First song that I am trying to finalize is an older song that I think I started writing in 2007 or so.  

Better that you know.

I dig it & I’ll buy it! Great song and I LOVE the tight guitars! Great hook and the solo serves the song well. I am dancing while I type this and it is playing.....a good sign.

Archived