Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cool Guitar Stores in Nashville and Memphis

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to my friend in Tennesse next year and we want to check out cool guitar stores. So anyone have some good advice what stores to check out? You can of course picture that we are not into that typical guitar center / sam ash generic yadda yadda. Used, vintage, special stuff is wwhat we are interested in. Any help appreciated.

HRR

• 7 months later...

I have to dig out my old thread here. Are there any good pawn shops in Nashville or Memphis that are worth checking out when it comes especially to musical equipment? 

Also nobody has mentioned any music stores in the Memphis. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

HRR

There's a boutique place across from Tootsies.  No real bargains.  Rock Block.

Also World Music, it's a little far into city limits.  A normal store with a few bargains.  http://www.worldmusicnashville.com/

Gruhns they eyeball you a lot figuring if you are a tourist or a customer.

Guitar Center a lot of customer service guys living in halfway houses, only working there 3rd week.

NOt music, check out McKays bookstore just of HWY 40 Westside.  They'll buy old DVDs and CDs.  HUMONGOUS.

Also Pawn Shops.  They sell everything on line simultaneously.

No real bargains in Nashville since internet. 

A REAL kicker is by Titans stadium.  Soundcheck studio.  There's a small repair shop inside open to public selling some gear.  Also Peavy showroom.  That was before the flood.  https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/50_Feet_High_and_Rising_Nashvilles_Devastating_Flood . 

I heard Neal Young recording there.  The ONLY place you'll likely bump into a Celeb.  All Celebs live outside of county in Brentwood.  Away from public.

I went to Nashville last year and visited all the places people have mentioned in this thread plus Rumble Seat.  RS is small and has ultra-primo stuff.  The owner was apparently friends with Marky Ramone because he had one of his drum kits, some autographed stuff, a life-size standee, etc. of Marky.  Of all the places mentioned, my favorite was Carter's by far.  Gruhn's felt like a museum, but they treated me great.  Maybe they thought I was Somebody.  Corner Music was just OK - not worth going out of your way to try to get to IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

There is not much here in pawn shops heavy in musical instruments. Mostly the very low end cheap stuff riddled with stickers.

Paragon Mills is about the only one that specializes in musical instruments, and they are priced accordingly.

The local GC is the best local pawn shop around for instruments. Heavy rotation.

• 2 months later...

to see crazy shit you'd never otherwise see, Gruhn's is a must-visit. Their new location has convenient parking - for years they were downtown and parking was impossible.

but my go-to store for sundries is Corner Music. The folks there are very friendly and if you want a Rickenbacker, they've got one for you.

GC at least to me is always a waste of time.

It's a good 30min from downtown out in Bellevue, but if you want to play a Mesa, or peruse a ridiculous inventory of boutique pedals, going here could be worth your time: http://www.worldmusicnashville.com/ IIRC they had some decent tubes in stock as well. I don't remember seeing any electric guitars I'd spend even a dime on though.

Archived