Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite Guitars

This is easy. My Shishkov Ultimate 0006 is easily the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever played. It simply fits me perfect...and the Shlabotnik sisters can go from nearly single coil sweetness to all out rock easily. I can play my best on it.  If the next Shishkov is as good, I will need nothing else. 

3AAC4251-2AFB-4686-A407-7BD3EA0376C0.jpeg

A couple of months ago I "discovered" the MIM Charvel guitars. They are un-be-lie-va-ble. Not for the price... at any price.

My fourth is on its way to me now. This one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMDK22PBK--charvel-pro-mod-dk22-sss-2pt-cm-black

They play so easy it seems like cheating; they sound like a million bucks; they are really -really- well made; they are all Fender-shaped, and all of mines weigh less than 7 Lbs.

I got more than 20 guitars these days and all the others are USA made. But these Charvels are all that I play now.

This is my 2016 58 RI 335 in blonde...  The prior owner swapped the pickups for Bareknuckle Riff Raff's

but also kept the original Memphis spec pickups... figured I'd put the originals back in but ended up loving

the riff raff's.  dig it.     

i-SsrTDNT-M.jpg

9 hours ago, aliparla said:

Was Jol on vacation when you ordered that one?

Incredible guitar, by the way

The late, great Sam Moss of Sam Moss Guitars in Winston Salem, NC ordered two of those (One without the neck pickup) back in...'85, I think. The Matthes brother(s) got up close and personal to inspect at least one when it arrived in NC. Holy Grail Hamers, they are. 

Though perhaps sacrilegious here, the only guitar I kept was a G & L Bluesboy inspired by the one Gwanye had ordered.  It was the only guitar I custom ordered. 

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

The late, great Sam Moss of Sam Moss Guitars in Winston Salem, NC ordered two of those (One without the neck pickup) back in...'85, I think. The Matthes brother(s) got up close and personal to inspect at least one when it arrived in NC. Holy Grail Hamers, they are. 

Indeed.  Still my "Grail" guitars.  

I saw it at a guitar show in DC in 1990, and the WV-based dealer said he'd hold it for me if I came back first thing the next morning.  I did, but it sold to a Jpns dealer "after hours".  I was crushed...

The pic I took at the show...

Hamer Electraglide SMG 90.jpg

21 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Indeed.  Still my "Grail" guitars.  

I saw it at a guitar show in DC in 1990, and the WV-based dealer said he'd hold it for me if I came back first thing the next morning.  I did, but it sold to a Jpns dealer "after hours".  I was crushed...

The pic I took at the show...

Hamer Electraglide SMG 90.jpg

Thanks for sharing and the story behind these 2 is really cool.  I feel pretty lucky to own one of them and it still has the documentation from Sam that was provided to Steve.  I remember when I first got the "book" and saw photos of these 2 that I thought they were the coolest Hamers I'd ever seen, as I always liked the Gibson XPL Spirits from the mid 1980's that had Explorer headstocks, but I could never find one without the dreaded Kahler.  When I finally had the opportunity to snag one of the Electraglides I just couldn't pass up the chance!

On 4/2/2020 at 7:59 PM, diablo175 said:

Ya know, despite having played this particular game too many times to count, both here and on various FB pages, I always somehow find myself okay with doing so one more f*cking time 🤪

The position of alpha axe in my herd is in a constant state of flux but never deviates from these 2:

HEL Spitfire- 1 piece alder body, bolt-on maple neck/board w/ Charvel carve (slightly asymmetrical, to the high side) 24 jumbo stainless frets, Gravelin Double Slug Mongoose/SD '59 p'ups, Hamer-style, side-mount, angled input, 1 vol/toggle/tone/killswitch,  Hot Rod OFR

image.png

'89 Hamer Cali Elite Limited Edition- modded w/ my finish design via Mike Learn, SS jumbo frets, extended trem pull up cavity, blade switch slot filled, OFR, Gravelin Mongoose/SD Hot Rails, 3 way toggle, tone/skillswitch pot and Schaller strap locks system.

image.png

I remember when these were projects. Them had been great entertaining threads! 

Actually, I love all of my guitars equally. However, my own custom projects certainly stand out.

My personal takes on the Red Special theme.

Archived