Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Special and Sunburst body shape

northarrow

Question

10 answers to this question

The only thing I know for certain is they fit in the same case.  Not sure if that qualifies as "exactly," but that's pretty close in my book.

There seems to be some differences in the horns, but there also seems to be variations in the horns within each brand.

'59 Gibson (LP Junior):

6a18d9f1-08ca-5da3-aa19-4f1fc3d04c16__94

Hamer:

46825_Hamer_Special_02178_1_4000x@3x.pro

'59 Gibson (LP Special):

Les-Paul-DC-full-front.png

Hamer:

IMG_9320__89310.1399414003.JPG?c=2&imbyp

I try not to believe everything I read, except when I read it in The Book.

And The Book. says on  page.49  paragraph 1

"The design was simple: Jol drew out a tracing of one of their 1950s Les Paul Juniors and added humbucking pickups."

Gibson Junior horns seem to curve more right off the neck joint, whereas Hamer's have a slight flat between the neck and the initial curve of the horn. Hamer horns also appear to be just slightly narrower, but being built by hand there's probably a fair amount of variance.

If anyone wants to send their '58 or '59 Junior, I'd gladly put it on our CMM at work and see for sure. B)

I see a more pronounced curve in the Hamer cutaways versus the Gibson.  In effect, this makes the Gibson geometry more of an unbroken arc that flattens at the neck joint whereas the Hamer cutaways appear to curve slightly up toward the neck at the joint.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

It's definitely based on that shape, but it's not exact. Also the neck joint is WAAAAYYYY better.

And the fact that the Hamer necks are set further into the body balancing the guitar better.  Plus the placement of the bridge and pickups works better

45 minutes ago, Ua D said:

And the fact that the Hamer necks are set further into the body balancing the guitar better.  Plus the placement of the bridge and pickups works better

Yeah. Gibson I think wanted to maintain the layout of the Single Cut Les paul, but that deep of a treble cutaway doesn't work unless it is a single cut, resulting in one of the most often broken neck joints out there, especially with the neck pickup. They then didn't learn their lesson when they made the first SGs.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, tbonesullivan said:

...resulting in one of the most often broken neck joints out there...

Epiphone Coronet Silver Fox 1965 (s700)

Yah, the only Gibson with a more delicate neck joint may be the Epiphone Coronet (Viva la Steve Marriott).

I also prefer that Hamer located the strap button at the tip of the upper horn Vs. at the body/neck joint. Always loved the looks of an SG but, having broad shoulders, the 'upper' strap button location always bugged me.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:01 PM, tbonesullivan said:

...resulting in one of the most often broken neck joints out there...

In the case of the model below, all I can say is, "Thank you."

26 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Epiphone Coronet Silver Fox 1965 (s700)

Archived