Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Vivian Campbell Fans in here??


Recommended Posts

I was a "Keyman endorser" back in 1991 and 1992 for Hamer.  Basically, I was the sales manager at Abney's Music in Orlando and we carried Hamer.  I could order one at "Dealer cost and ten", which actually meant 45% of list price.  I ordered a guitar exactly like this one.  You could see the ripple of the flame of the top in the black finish.  Same Floyd.  I traded it at Thoroughbred in Tampa to Elliott Rubinson.  Don't know what ever happened to it, but somebody told me that it was hanging on the wall at Paragon Music in Tampa years later.  It had a maple neck and the body was too heavy.  Not my fave Hamer of all time to be sure.  

Edited by The Shark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw Vivian playing Friday night in Last in Line (which is 1/2 the original DIO lineup) in Milwaukee.  It was kick ass, they were excellent.

Vivian Campbell slayed.  He didn't mess around with anything on the floor or and played his old black Les Paul the entire night.

 

As for that Hamer...whoa.  No thanks, that's quite a price tag.    Although, like Vivian, I do have a black Les Paul 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by JOE_CPWE
edit text links
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, The Shark said:

I was a "Keyman endorser" back in 1991 and 1992 for Hamer.  Basically, I was the sales manager at Abney's Music in Orlando and we carried Hamer.  I could order one at "Dealer cost and ten", which actually meant 45% of list price.  I ordered a guitar exactly like this one.  You could see the ripple of the flame of the top in the black finish.  Same Floyd.  I traded it at Thoroughbred in Tampa to Elliott Rubinson.  Don't know what ever happened to it, but somebody told me that it was hanging on the wall at Paragon Music in Tampa years later.  It had a maple neck and the body was too heavy.  Not my fave Hamer of all time to be sure.  

@The SharkLoved Abney's Music in Orlando. When I was a youngin' I used to drive over from New Smyrna Beach to admire the Tobacco Sunburst Deluxe Les Paul that hung on the wall, my dream guitar. When I finally saved up enough to buy it, it was gone. I went over to Orlando Music and bought a Natural Top Deluxe. I eventually got a Tobacco years later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Len said:

@The SharkLoved Abney's Music in Orlando. When I was a youngin' I used to drive over from New Smyrna Beach to admire the Tobacco Sunburst Deluxe Les Paul that hung on the wall, my dream guitar. When I finally saved up enough to buy it, it was gone. I went over to Orlando Music and bought a Natural Top Deluxe. I eventually got a Tobacco years later.

When you say, "Orlando Music" which shop do you mean?  Just curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, JOE_CPWE said:

I just saw Vivian playing Friday night in Last in Line (which is 1/2 the original DIO lineup) in Milwaukee.  It was kick ass, they were excellent.

Vivian Campbell slayed.  He didn't mess around with anything on the floor or and played his old black Les Paul the entire night.

 

As for that Hamer...whoa.  No thanks, that's quite a price tag.    Although, like Vivian, I do have a black Les Paul 🙂

 

 

 

 

These guys packing into an SUV?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 11:24 PM, The Shark said:

When you say, "Orlando Music" which shop do you mean?  Just curious.

This was in the mid 70's ... Not Orlando Discount Music on Orange but just Orlando Music . It was on Colonial in a building that seemed like a house. There was also Music City over by the Palomino club and Church St. station. 4 killer guitar shops to visit on the trip over

Edited by Len
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Len said:

This was in the mid 70's ... Not Orlando Discount Music on Orange but just Orlando Music . It was on Colonial in a building that seemed like a house. There was also Music City over by the Palomino club and Fern Park station. 4 killer guitar shops to visit on the trip over

I remember Charlie Lytle's shop on Orange.  Steve Greer's Discount Music further south on Orange Avenue.  Then, there was Wanda and Jimmy Head with Music City on Gore.  Larry Martini had "The Guitar Shop" too.  But I only got into the scene in 1978, so it may have been a shop that didn't survive until my introduction to the Orlando music stores.  Abney's was on 17-92 too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 10:58 PM, The Shark said:

I remember Charlie Lytle's shop on Orange.  Steve Greer's Discount Music further south on Orange Avenue.  Then, there was Wanda and Jimmy Head with Music City on Gore.  Larry Martini had "The Guitar Shop" too.  But I only got into the scene in 1978, so it may have been a shop that didn't survive until my introduction to the Orlando music stores.  Abney's was on 17-92 too.  

Bought my first real guitar from Wanda at Music City. '72 Gibson SG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

What year was that?  Were they on Robinson or Gore?

I think '77 ... not sure what road it was on ... big building, high ceilings ... had a big stage in a room on the left of the entrance when you came in ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Len said:

I think '77 ... not sure what road it was on ... big building, high ceilings ... had a big stage in a room on the left of the entrance when you came in ...

That was the "new" store on Robinson.  I spent hours in that place.  Bought dozens of guitars from Wanda and Jimmy.  All our P.A. gear came from there too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Shark said:

That was the "new" store on Robinson.  I spent hours in that place.  Bought dozens of guitars from Wanda and Jimmy.  All our P.A. gear came from there too.  

What a cool chick Wanda was .. I had a POS Marshall 4x12 cab w/ no speakers that someone gave me. I went there to see if I could buy some speakers for it. She didn't have any, so she took 4 Celestions out of an old cab and sold them to me (Cheap too) ... I thought I was the coolest kid on the block that day ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2022 at 10:16 PM, Len said:

What a cool chick Wanda was .. I had a POS Marshall 4x12 cab w/ no speakers that someone gave me. I went there to see if I could buy some speakers for it. She didn't have any, so she took 4 Celestions out of an old cab and sold them to me (Cheap too) ... I thought I was the coolest kid on the block that day ...

I haven't heard how they are in years.  I know Wanda beat lung cancer at one point.  I saw her son in law Greg that took over the business a few years ago at a concert.  He said they were doing okay.  What a great store.  I spent much of my disposable income there from 1978 to about 1990!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...