Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What do you think....

Hey Hamer brain trust:  This Chap has been on Reverb at a fairly good price for a long time.  I asked for a picture of the electronics (remove 3 screws; point and shoot) and seller refused as he did not want to "remove electronic" (?).  Whatever.  Upon further review; there is a suspect crack/scratch on the back of the neck that looks like it has been sanded.  Not mentioned in the description.   And the "remove 3 screws" non answer makes me believe I would not get an answer on something much more complicated.   Wondering if this is an indication of a truss rod problem.  Comments.  Not sure I would buy it....not into the granite/marble look, but does check a few boxes for me on Cali/Chaps so not out of the question.  The rust on the pickups and it being located in humid Florida could indicate elctronic issues, but I am 3 screws and a photo short of knowing that.

https://reverb.com/item/69253510-hamer-chaparral-marble-finish-1990?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17682351984&utm_content=campaignid=17682351984_adgroupid=143800496052_productpartitionid=1946021698791=merchantid=757815397_productid=69253510_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=608998621633&gclid=CjwKCAjw2K6lBhBXEiwA5RjtCb4ER1q_JYrlCNLoc3ZO9pDGqQzSEIjRA5xQuLz8FSwxNeXTTsqG7BoCBZsQAvD_BwE

Hamer Chaparral - Marble Finish -1990 image 12

Looks like a nice guitar... "judging from other photos" I believe that the photo of the back of the neck is a glare... any 33 year old guitar will probably need the electronics "scratchy pots" gone through with Deoxit anyway... especially from Florida but I'm always leary of a seller that only has 1 rating "although positive" and would walk if questions are not answered satisfactorily... There is a reason why this has been listed for 2 months

The description on Reverb is written in such a way that leads me to suspect that English may not be the seller's primary language - so that may be part of the problem.

But if English is the seller's primary language...yikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

The description on Reverb is written in such a way that leads me to suspect that English may not be the seller's primary language...

...did not want to "remove electronic" is another clue.

• Like 3

THIS is not glare:

Hamer Chaparral - Marble Finish -1990 image 14

• Like 3

I think $2,500 is aat least $500.00 too much for a Chaparral with zero issues..  The boomerangs are cool, but if the neck is cracked or sanded, the value drops even more.

I'd ask for detailed close-up photos of the areas that are suspicious.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dana_V said:

The description on Reverb is written in such a way that leads me to suspect that English may not be the seller's primary language - so that may be part of the problem.

But if English is the seller's primary language...yikes.

It does‘t make any difference really.

However, the whole deal looks like a “suspect crack“.

13 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I guess I just assumed it was a digital photo anomaly 

But would really be concerned about this instead hN7rqM4.jpeg

It looks odd, but I would be inclined to chalk that up to being wood grain since I can't imagine how a neck could crack that way.   It's near impossible.  

45 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It looks odd, but I would be inclined to chalk that up to being wood grain since I can't imagine how a neck could crack that way.   It's near impossible.  

Truss rod cracking wood... it happens a lot when people try to change the profile and sand too far down 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave Scepter said:

Truss rod cracking wood... it happens a lot when people try to change the profile and sand too far down 

In that case I would definitely be concerned about it - lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

Exactly this.  There was a particular black Cali with LEDs that suffered this exact fate.  Super thin neck after some sanding, and the truss rod cracked through the back (not my guitar, but I was very familiar with it).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hamerican gigolo said:

If a seller won't do something as simple as taking a pic at the potential buyers request, I'd pass... 😞

Yeah, that's where I am at.  Really appreciate the info and humor from this group.  Great mixture of passion and knowledge....and dare I say....wisdom?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:06 AM, kizanski said:

In that case I would definitely be concerned about it - lol

Oh it's just a harmless 'Lil crack....

Edited by HSB0531
  • Like 1