Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA gorgeous 93 P90 Special

27 minutes ago, bry4321 said:

I'm about to email that seller and ask what his secret to getting such good pics is. 

Excellent pics...but useless (and annoying) listing text as always from that seller.

Edited by singlehum
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, singlehum said:

Excellent pics...but useless (and annoying) listing text as always from that seller.

Agreed, completely useless with respect to the sale, but generally (this one's not that great) entertaining performance art.  He has started including a photo of the weight and now and then he's provided a caliper photo of the neck depth, but the description (narrative) is rarely much help.

1 hour ago, bry4321 said:

I'm about to email that seller and ask what his secret to getting such good pics is. 

I think he's using a paper backdrop and two flashes with either softboxes or umbrellas triggered by

a little remote that goes on the DSLR hotshoe...   I think $200 ish for the set-up if you already have

a DSLR...    not heavy duty enough for say a wedding or somewhere where they'll tip over,  but for

shooting guitars in your basement,  they do a nice job.    In the scheme of things, you can probably

make it back pretty easy by virtue of having better pics and easier time selling...           

something like this.  

LSP 250W Photo Studio Monolight Strobe Flash Light with Modeling Lighting Lamp | eBay

Studio Photo Soft Box Lighting Kit Photography W/2* Adjustable Stand + 135W Bulb | eBay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks nice and a great price, but 1993 necks can vary from thin to the excellent medium. Maybe there are even bat-sized necks from '93. I'd ask if really interested in this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveL said:

I think he's using a paper backdrop and two flashes with either softboxes or umbrellas triggered by

a little remote that goes on the DSLR hotshoe...   I think $200 ish for the set-up if you already have

a DSLR...    not heavy duty enough for say a wedding or somewhere where they'll tip over,  but for

shooting guitars in your basement,  they do a nice job.    In the scheme of things, you can probably

make it back pretty easy by virtue of having better pics and easier time selling...           

something like this.  

LSP 250W Photo Studio Monolight Strobe Flash Light with Modeling Lighting Lamp | eBay

Studio Photo Soft Box Lighting Kit Photography W/2* Adjustable Stand + 135W Bulb | eBay

Thanks! Camera recommendations for someone who can’t remember owning a camera?

11 hours ago, bry4321 said:

Thanks! Camera recommendations for someone who can’t remember owning a camera?

Hi,  I'm pretty sure you can get a lower end Canon body and lens for $200-300

I buy alot of my stuff from canon... they have great deals on refurbs,  typically they

tend to be overstock or cameras being replaced soon rather than refurbs.   with off

camera lighting,  you should still get pretty good image quality.  

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R100 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |

• Thanks 1

That Special looks pristine except for the condom-shaped truss rod cover; that's an easy fix.   The serial number is ~3,000 ahead of my '93 TV Yellow Special.   Hard to believe they were making so many guitars during the '92-'95 peak production era, but that's partly what made the brand accessible to so many buyers--me included.

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, DaveL said:

I buy alot of my stuff from canon... they have great deals on refurbs,  typically they

tend to be overstock or cameras being replaced soon rather than refurbs.   with off

Do they have similar deals on the full frame sensors?

26 minutes ago, Cboss said:

Do they have similar deals on the full frame sensors?

Hi,  I believe they do, but the newer full frames generally go for more.   

That said,  if you can accept the older EOS mount  (ex: 6D or 5D Mark III) 

you can find them pretty reasonably  (ebay, fredmiranda.com) and they still shoot

very nice...  for gear pics they're still great.     I have a mirrorless body and an

EOS body because I still like my EOS lenses...   

feel free to PM me if you need some more specific tips...   

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Hi,  I believe they do, but the newer full frames generally go for more.   

That said,  if you can accept the older EOS mount  (ex: 6D or 5D Mark III) 

you can find them pretty reasonably  (ebay, fredmiranda.com) and they still shoot

very nice...  for gear pics they're still great.     I have a mirrorless body and an

EOS body because I still like my EOS lenses...   

feel free to PM me if you need some more specific tips...   

Thanks so much Dave, I used to be really into photography and my camera sitting in the closet is a 1DS mark ii, older of course but absolutely fabulous, with a 24 to 70 2.8L. I was curious if the full frames were available that cheap now, I never liked the aps-c cropped sensor

15 hours ago, DaveL said:

mob.com also has camera specific stuff used and they show the actual item, tell you the condition etc.  I've gotten a few things from them and they're accurately described and have a 14 day return period and 6 month warranty.   

• Like 1

I pop up every now and again to see if anyone has invented a digital sensor to stick in my Canon Rebel G that I paid a princely sum for around 1996 or so.  I had a commercial banking customer that ran an actual camera shop (remember those?).  He hooked me up with the whole kit; bag, lenses, etc.  

I think they're going for around $35 these days, but in the film days that was a fairly top-line amateur / beginner-professional SLR.  An SLR to DSLR converter seems like an obvious need, but maybe too limited in demand to make production feasible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, velorush said:

I pop up every now and again to see if anyone has invented a digital sensor to stick in my Canon Rebel G that I paid a princely sum for around 1996 or so.  I had a commercial banking customer that ran an actual camera shop (remember those?).  He hooked me up with the whole kit; bag, lenses, etc.  

I think they're going for around $35 these days, but in the film days that was a fairly top-line amateur / beginner-professional SLR.  An SLR to DSLR converter seems like an obvious need, but maybe too limited in demand to make production feasible. 

I've got one of those too! My last film camera

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:37 PM, scottcald said:

mob.com also has camera specific stuff used and they show the actual item, tell you the condition etc.  I've gotten a few things from them and they're accurately described and have a 14 day return period and 6 month warranty.   

Just realized it autocorrected.  It's mpb.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1