Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Shark

Members
  • Posts

    5,746
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    60

Everything posted by The Shark

  1. Damnit....I knew my song sucked.
  2. Highway Star...
  3. I have this one. It sounds killer (non-orig Seth Lovers). The neck is three inches wide and about 3/8" thick. I'm exaggerating, but Kiz has a point. Just not a comfortable player. But I can sell it. It's just so cool...
  4. Kizanski will undoubtedly mention the pants and the encyclopedias. As well he should.
  5. 1978 Hamer B&C Sunburst into a '64 Pro Reverb. MXR Distortion + pedal. The only pic I have is from my seventeenth birthday in 1979. Recorded the tune in 1981.
  6. Kiz told me my song was the oldest recording, but one song was older. I love it. I've listened to it as many times as any song on the compilation. We all hope something we had a hand in will forward our legacy after we're gone. Like I said. I love it.
  7. I listened to the entire compilation tonight. It's so cool. There's no song I won't listen to again. And I prefer to listen just how Kizanski put it together. The most technically proficient player's offerings aren't necessarily my favorites. But some really are. Talent lurks all around on this one.
  8. Wow, thanks for that! It was actually written and recorded in 1981. We recorded about fifty between 1981 and 1983. Getting them all transferred to MP3 files now. Might post a couple others. Never recorded anything again. Still play with all the same guys too! Thanks to Kiz for being so patient. Wish the fidelity was better...
  9. I love Vidar Busk...
  10. This will definitely happen, if I expire too soon. Is that Kizanski with his head down next to the actor that played Rudy?
  11. Hi Peter,

    I sent you an e-mail.  Any pics would be appreciated!

    Dave Rauschenberger

  12. Peter Frampton's "Art of Control" album.
  13. Man, that's really funny. And by funny, I mean peculiar. I'm totally the opposite. As my band gets back into the swing of things (we've had the same guys for 35 years, but have been dormant for the passed eight other than once or twice a month practices), I find my GAS subsiding. I think it's because I'd become a collector more than a player. Now, getting all these wonderful guitars out and actually playing them in a band setting I realize I needed something to fill the void. I was on the hunt all the time because it filled said void. Makes sense to me. But I completely understand that life sometimes takes us to the same end through very different paths. GAS is a fickle affliction!
  14. I've been listening to a mix of Sonny Landreth on YouTube at the office most nights lately. He's so good.
  15. Chris:

    I talked to Charlie Huhn today.  He told me that the guitar isn't his 4-digit.  I'd met him a few times since I purchased the guitar, but he never actually played or saw it.  Apparently, a friend of his in Michigan owns his.  He'd not been in touch with the guy for a long time.  But the guy swears he still has it.  Apparently, there's a huge wear mark through the finish on the back where they used to duct tape the cord/wireless.  He just assumed my story to be true, so he never questioned until they rekindled their friendship recently.  Can you tell me your recollection of the guitar?  I don't really care as it will never be for sale anyway, but I'd like to know.

    Your Caps are looking good.  Hope you and the family have a wonderful holiday season. 

    Dave Rauschenberger

    1. cmatthes

      cmatthes

      The guitar that was supposedly Charlie Huhn's ex-guitar, was being sold by Dave Kenney at a midwest guitar shop back in 1990.  It was listed in VG Magazine as being Charlie's, and could be purchased either with a set of original PAFs (that were currently installed at the time) or he'd remove them ad sell the guitar for $995.  I think I still have the old Vintage Guitar stocklist ad for that tucked away somewhere.  I called him and we worked out a deal.  I sent him payment, but when it arrived, "apparently", somebody at the store had already sold the guitar the day before, despite it being marked "SOLD".  He offered me a Standard bass (#0601, I think) at time, which he claimed had belonged to Tom Petersson, but I really didn't need/want that one at the time. Not sure that Tom would have gotten a Standard bass in 1983-84, but hey, who knows...

      He ended up working out a deal with Frank Untermyer to have a Standard built for me, which I got the next year.  

      I don't recall the specific details about when it turned up again, but the story was (at the time) that it was Charlie's old one.  Not sure where that came from, but the color and description definitely fit the one that Dave Kenney was selling.  As to whether that was dealer hype or what, I don't know!

      Caps are looking much better tonight than against the Flyers the other night!

    2. The Shark

      The Shark

      Well, in a weird way, this is starting to make sense.  I've known Dave Kenney since the eighties.  My best friend Chris Lukasik, who passed away five or six years ago, built the famous/infamous Bolt Gibson for Dave.  The neck was a real blank that I watched Mike Korpak sell Chris for $100 in the old factory.  He also sold him the silver logo.  I bought the mahogany slab on the same trip from a guy named Cub Koda.  You might of heard of him.  Dave told everyone all the parts came from Kalamazoo.  That much was true.  You see where I'm going with this?   

      Subsequently, Dave K. moved to Orlando.  I bought a killer Selmer Zodiac amp that he told me was owned by Laurie Wisefield of Wishbone Ash fame.  It had the "eye" and was the exact model Peter G. in Fleetwood Mac used.  I was playing a Firebird V that I bought from Duane Roland at the time.  It was glorious.

      After the purchase, I mailed a letter to Don Clayton of Route 66 Music in England that I'd been importing amps from for about four years.  I knew that he knew Laurie.  He "rang him up" and Laurie told him he'd never owned a Selmer amp.  I later traded the amp in a larger deal and included no bullshit story.  Dave moved back to Rockford and I've not had occasion to deal with him since.  That was 1993 or 1994. 

      So, it's no stretch that Dave Kenney crafted a narrative that wound up giving  him one more chance in history to bite me.  It's a small world, Chris.  And Charlie's not Elvis.  The fact that my story is that I was buying Charlie's guitar, or so I thought, from Bubs when my drummer told me he was moving in two doors down is no less serendipitous. 

      Thanks for your candor and your memory.  I'm not going to announce any of this or worry about it much.  It's still a killer 4-digit Standard that I may have paid a grand too much for.  I'll not discuss the fabricated story again and am going to let Shawn know.  He's a friend and I don't ever want him to think I didn't tell him because I was suspicious.  The guitar will never be for sale anyway.

      Guess you'll have to revise the "lineage" in the second book!  

      Thanks,

       

      DR   

  16. Greetings:

    My friend Glenn Howard (a Canadian voice-over actor) is trying to sign up for the forum.  He's getting a recurring error about not passing the "Security Check".  According to him, he answers the question correctly and it sends him back to square one.

    His e-mail is ghvo@ghvo.net.  Anything you can do to get him on the forum is greatly appreciated!

    Dave Rauschenberger "The Shark"

     

×
×
  • Create New...