Hamer Dave Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 If this is the Watson I saw a while back for sale, wasn't there some mods done on it? I recall that being the reason I didn't pursue it at that time. Sweet guitar nonetheless.
RichRS6 Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 So whats the deal with the Watson, I thought I'd seen most Hamer models but have never seen this one before.Anyone have any details ?
Bobby Marshall Posted October 12, 2012 Posted October 12, 2012 Seemed like only mods were removing kahler nut, fine tune stop changed to normal stop and pickup swap. All non evasive unless they filled the holes for the kahler nut. Seems that not many were made and it was never a production model or so I read in a post from one of the Matthes bros. Body shape is like a mirage with a carved top and 25.5 inch scale. Jol designed this guitar together with Jeff Watson back when Jeff was in Night Ranger. Night Ranger bassist and guitarists all played Hamer guitars for awhile. Bassist still does on occassion. Jeff started with Vector and had his own version made with elongated wings. Also had a double neck vector which looked like a W. Jeff seems like he must have had a strong relationship with the company to have had so many special versions. Possibly second only to RN but I am guessing on that. I hope the Matthes book has a paragraph or two discussing Jeff and his association with Hamer.I saw some appreciation threads and inquiry threads started without much added so it seems there is not much love for this model. There have been some cool custom orders that you can see if you search the hfc. Mr. Platzer ordered up a real cool one with a sustainblock that is very glide-esque.
MCChris Posted October 12, 2012 Posted October 12, 2012 Jeff seems like he must have had a strong relationship with the company to have had so many special versions. Possibly second only to RN but I am guessing on that.Steve "Look At Those Fucking Boots" Stevens probably holds the second-place slot.
Bobby Marshall Posted October 12, 2012 Posted October 12, 2012 Yep. He had two production models. More than anyone else did with Hamer right? RN had the most custom jobs they would not make for anyone else like the mandocello, uncle dick and the five necks. Crazy cool stuff.
cmatthes Posted October 12, 2012 Posted October 12, 2012 They made several Mandocellos for a number of people (including Andy Summers, Darryl Hall, John Oates, etc.) they just weren't exactly a hot item (nor a catalog feature).They also made one for an HFC'er a couple of years ago...
Bobby Marshall Posted October 12, 2012 Posted October 12, 2012 I love it when I say something dumb and the truth comes out. No wonder everyone around me is so smart.
cloakerz Posted October 13, 2012 Author Posted October 13, 2012 well they are both sold. I will miss them, and miss that watson beyond words can express.
hamerhead Posted October 13, 2012 Posted October 13, 2012 Hang in there, man. Things will get better.
rj2858 Posted October 13, 2012 Posted October 13, 2012 I love it when I say something dumb and the truth comes out. No wonder everyone around me is so smart.Be Proud! That just means you're Vice-Presidential timber!
Brentrocks Posted October 20, 2012 Posted October 20, 2012 Got the T-51 yesterday....those Lollars sound incredible!!!!
Bobby Marshall Posted October 20, 2012 Posted October 20, 2012 Got the watson yesterday. A very well made guitar. Still need to play her through my Marshall.
bubs_42 Posted October 21, 2012 Posted October 21, 2012 Got the watson yesterday. Bastid! Dibs! You were the first person I thought of when it came up for sale. Neck Pup is even straight for a Sustainer! LOL.
HamerJammer Posted October 21, 2012 Posted October 21, 2012 Got the watson yesterday. Bastid! Dibs! You were the first person I thought of when it came up for sale. Neck Pup is even straight for a Sustainer! LOL. oh man! ....so close to a perfect Sustainiac guitar! I believe there's also a pickup "distance" issue that has to be calculated? But if it could work with the addition of a Floyd( of coarse ) It would be a "done deal" for infinite stuck-pig squeals!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.