Hamer Fan Club Message Center

bubbles in finish hamer studio custom

coffeeroastee

Question

13 hours ago, coffeeroastee said:

so i won an auction of a hamer studio custom...plays ok sounds great...thing is theres bubbles in the neck finish that are rough to the touch...its distracting...should I steel wool the neck? any ideas?

10 hours ago, coffeeroastee said:

I'm confused.  The original thread said you won  an auction, but then you post a Craigslist ad.   

7 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

That looks like someone shook off a paint brush near the neck...

Shook off something! 😆

Seriously though, if you love the guitar and the way it sounds and plays, and plan on keeping it, there's nothing stopping you from taking some steel wool to the back of it... it's not as though it's some rare 59 Les Paul or anyting... you'll probably get the same amount selling it in either condition... and this way you get to play it until you get sick of it

12 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Ebola and jizz 😆

Hey that sounds like a new crime-fighting TV detective show~

“Not even Charmin or Bounty can keep up with the spooge left behind in the tailings of the hot action from Ebola and Jizz! Two police officers giving new meaning to being on the beat.”

Tuesdays 8BM Central 9 BM EST

8 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I’ve seen this before. Ebola.

Oh man! That's bad! I'll put it in quarantine for you so it doesn't spread to other instruments. Best to do it right away so as to limit the chances of cross-contamination and this single case turning into an epidemic. I'll even give you a reward for stopping this potential crisis - $350 should cover it. Just be sure to wrap it in plastic and double box it so no one handling it in transit can be infected and become an unwitting patient zero.

That is some serious Hameritis around the neck joint.  Finish lifting was a problem for a brief time, but it never caused a problem with feeling rough. 

So, can you feel anything around the neck joint?  There might be two different things going on with your finish. 

36 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Seriously though, refinishing is probably the only option. Those are most likely air bubbles, the result of moisture that remained in the wood at the time the clear coat was applied, or possibly from abnormal drying of the clear coat.

My offer stands.

43 minutes ago, coffeeroastee said:

they said bubbles in the clear coat ..it just feels rough and im not sure whether to steel wool or not dont want to ruin it

Is "send it back" an option? Because that's what I'd do.  

38 minutes ago, coffeeroastee said:

they said bubbles in the clear coat ..it just feels rough and im not sure whether to steel wool or not dont want to ruin it

If you use steel wool, make sure you cover the pickup areas with newspapers/rag/masking tape so the magnets in the pickups do not attract the steel wool fibers... if you use sandpaper, use 400 and sand lightly... Either way, you should mask off/ protect the headstock, binding & heel joint area from accidental sanding mishaps

Yes! +1 @Dave Scepter Mask those pickups or you’ll never get the tiny metal pieces off your poles.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself having to go down to the wood, The bubbles  are under the surface, not on it. 

If you’re not in love with the guitar, if you can send it back, I would!

If you like it, I’d send it to @Stike to refinish the neck.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, tbonesullivan said:

That looks like someone shook off a paint brush near the neck. Are you sure it's the finish lifting, and not something on the finish?

I’d guess something got spattered on the wood while it was naked and soaked in... not sure what it might of been a soda explosion or even water. Wood that has it’s pores open and gets drops of water on it doesn’t take stain or finish the same...

Sand the neck down and play the shit outa it... I like a sanded/unfinished neck. They feel smooth and fast!!

Finish sanding it with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. You will be amazed at how nonsticky and smooth it is!!

21 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I’d guess something got spattered on the wood while it was naked and soaked in... not sure what it might of been a soda explosion or even water. Wood that has it’s pores open and gets drops of water on it doesn’t take stain or finish the same...

Sand the neck down and play the shit outa it... I like a sanded/unfinished neck. They feel smooth and fast!!

Finish sanding it with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. You will be amazed at how nonsticky and smooth it is!!

That is just weird. The only thing like that I have seen is nitro reacting to insect repellent. To make the finish rough it would have had to been reacting with it after they buffed it out. Just weird.

When I see a weird mark on the finish that polish doesn't take off, I go after it with Swirl Remover from Stew Mac. You'd be amazed what it can take right off that usual stuff doesn't. Paint marks, scuffs with plastic, etc.

Archived