Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1978 UfO Live Show (Youngstown, OH) 2xLP Release RSD2020!

RobB

(text copied from Shark's WTB CD post)

April 18 is Record Store Day 2020. An unreleased UFO show from the 1978 "Obsesssion" tour is being released in a 2xLP format. It's from Youngstown, Ohio. IIRC, "Strangers...”, is made up of the Louisville, Cleveland and Chicago shows (excepting, "Mother Mary" and "This Kids”, which were studio tracks with added audience noise).

No info if there will be a CD release yet, but keep an eye out!

I snuck into a club back in 74 to see them. Maybe 300 people at most. They didn’t come on until midnight but they rocked out. I recently read where they are done touring. Phil said it’s time. Always thought he was a underrated rock singer. 

ATL was cancelled due to Phil being ill. They played here in Clearwater Wed. night and he sounded good. They are on a cruise deal until Monday and then the next dates are in Europe starting in May with other dates scheduled later in the year.

2262020b.jpg

On 2/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Steve Haynie said:

UFO with Phil Mogg has more tour dates, but they are done in the USA.  They cancelled their appearance with Blue Öyster Cult this past Sunday which really left a lot of people unhappy.  Someone in UFO was ill. 

Steve,

Did you have tix? I'm sure you did , right? When did they let people know? If you went how was BOC?

6 hours ago, ZR said:

Steve,

Did you have tix? I'm sure you did , right? When did they let people know? If you went how was BOC?

At 4:50 PM on Saturday the Variety Playhouse sent out an e-mail about UFO cancelling.  I was checking e-mail around that time, so I got the message within a few minutes.  Then I forwarded it and called two friends, one who lives nearby and another in Asheville.  The local friend made a decision on Sunday around noon that he would not go.  The friend in Asheville decided she did not want to do four hours of traveling each way if UFO was not playing.  Refunds were hinted at online. 

To make up for UFO's cancellation Blue Öyster Cult would play two sets. 

Before leaving I sent a message through Eventbrite that I wanted a refund on one of my two tickets being held at will call.  The friend in Asheville told me to try that.  I hopped in the car and drove down.  There were signs on the doors saying that unscanned tickets would be refunded.  It was made clear UFO would not be playing before the doors opened.  When the will call office finally opened I asked for only one of the two tickets because I wanted a refund.  What I did not know was that someone already refunded it about the same time I arrived.  I was at the front of the line to get in-- lucky me.  When I got past the metal detectors I was first to get in and my ticket would not scan.  I quickly went through how I had two tickets at will call, asked for a refund, took only one, etc.  The guy at the door checked with the lady in the ticket booth and told me to just go in. 

I was not the first to hit the pit, but I was the one who got that sacred front row center spot at the stage.  The pit did not fill up that fast, but because the show had sold out it was packed by the time Blue Öyster Cult started. 

BÖC had played a show in Newberry, SC in October.  Eric Bloom "sang" backing vocals, but no lead vocals except as doubled vocals with Buck Dharma.  Richie Castellano sang Tattoo Vampire for him.  It was almost an all Buck Dharma night.  It really makes a difference not hearing Eric Bloom singing at a BÖC show.  The Atlanta show was definitely better. 

BÖC hit the stage around 8:25 PM.  Eric sang.  He talked to the audience.  Buck sang.  Richie sang.  The audience sang.  The second set was longer than the first.  Something I noticed was Buck Dharma's pinky finger on his left hand is bent inward, almost like it was broken at some time.  Another thing I never paid much attention to is that Eric Bloom uses an Ebow on Don't Fear The Reaper to keep that note sustaining after Buck's guitar solo.  The encore was over around 11:17 PM.  I had to cut out and get home.  The merchandise booth had shut down already. 

Here is the Atlanta setlist. 

I had a great time.  There are a lot of other songs BÖC has played in the last six months that I wish I could have heard, but I was happy with everything.  BÖC was one of those bands I listened to a lot in high school and beyond. 

Archived