Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is this a case of Hameritis?

Question

A seller in Washington just shipped a 2005 Artist to me, and it has these gold markings along the thumb edge of the fretboard which he claims were not there before shipping the guitar to Canada?  He claims that this could be Hameritis?  Is it?  I thought that Hameritis showed up as glue bubbling up around the neck joint.

IMG_1698.JPG

13 answers to this question

Yep!

ETA Longer answer: Yes, it's Hameritis of the fret edge variety.  Very common along with the neck heel type.  

But it didn't just show up in shipping.  That's horseshit.  

Edited by kizanski
  • Like 5

Definitely Hameritis doubtful it occurred during shipping. I have no idea what that gold crap is but it appears someone attempted to fix the finish poorly!

arniez

Edited by ArnieZ
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The finish has that amber color to it.  It has separated from the wood, and the back side has the texture of the wood.  Light is reflecting as "gold."

A repairman who is good with super-glue can fill the gap. 

This^^^

• Like 1

I had some of that on an Eclipse I sold. If you have some of the Stew Mac super thin Super glue and their "whip tip", it's easy to fix, as it sucks in by capillary action.

My 1993 Studio and Special both had hameritis, ONLY along the nut, so I fixed that easily.

• Like 1

Or you can tape the edge of the fretboard where it joins the non-rosewood part of the neck and carefully sand the finish off the rosewood edge.

• Like 2
On 11/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, kizanski said:

Yep!

ETA Longer answer: Yes, it's Hameritis of the fret edge variety.  Very common along with the neck heel type.  

Total!

• Like 1
On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, kizanski said:

Yep!

That is what I figured, thanks!

• Like 1