Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Need help identifying a guitar

cloakerz

Question

i purchased this from a guy in north vancouver BC, I live in chilliwack. Its a project for sure, but I am not sure what it is. It looks like it had a pickguard on it at one time, and it may be refinished. From my own limited knowledge I had an idea what it was, but seems to have the attributes of 3 different Hamer guitars. headstock is throwing me off, as is the 24 frets. May have had a kahler on it as there is routing someone has done. Any ideas?

hamer1.jpg

hamer2.jpg

hamer3.jpg

18 answers to this question

There have been a few Prototypes and Proto IIs out there with Blitz headstocks - that's what it looks like, but has clearly been refinned (no serial visible, wrong logo/placement, etc.).   The pic is too dark to see everything on the face of the guitar, but a clear front and back shot could help get more information.

17 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Proto II with Floyd?

Seems like the best conclusion based on the sum of the parts.  So, it's very obviously a refin...which makes me wonder whether that recessed Floyd rout (the recessed part) was done before/concurrent with the new paint.  If we're talking a mid-'80s Proto II, there's no way a recessed rout was done at the factory, right?  Not sure about that angled fretboard end, either. Was Hamer doing that in the mid-'80s?

The end of the fretboard appears to be modified post-factory.  Badly.

34 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

The end of the fretboard appears to be modified post-factory.  Badly.

Really tough to tell from the pic (it's very pixelated in the zoom), but that could be original.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Dutchman said:

No matter what it is, it's a great foundation to build a killer guitar!!!

Agreed. I like that even more than the Electraglide.

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Agreed. I like that even more than the Electraglide.

Nah…not even close!  😉

8 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

I'll take a wild guess and say modified Watson?

Nope.  It’s a Proto II with a mid-80s Blitz headstock.  

Archived