Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Storage unit customers often leave trash for me to clean up.  This time someone left behind a piano in their storage unit.  It needs to go. 

The piano is a Sterling with a serial number dating it to 1897. 

It is located in Easley, South Carolina, about halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte.  Anyone who wants it can have it.  It is free.  No charge.  Take it. 

The condition is near mint except it has a few dings and has been refin-ed with gray paint that has been worn through on one corner.  Somebody wrote a "C" on one of the keys, and some of the keys have chips in the ivory.  One of the pedals broke off.  It could use a tuning, but that just adds to the mojo.  Other than those minor issues the piano is definitely near mint and a real collectors item. 

DSCN7202.JPG

DSCN7206.JPG

DSCN7203.JPG

DSCN7207.JPG

DSCN7208.JPG

DSCN7204.JPG

DSCN7205.JPG

I have a Kohler and Campbell upright that I've tried to give away for years.  I'm having it torn down and the "harp" will be poached for a cool wall-art display.  The guy is going to powder coat the harp and the strings will be cleaned.  Heavy though.

Good luck.  Most people have to pay to have them "taken away"...

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

The condition is near mint except it has a few dings and has been refin-ed with gray paint that has been worn through on one corner.  Somebody wrote a "C" on one of the keys, and some of the keys have chips in the ivory.  One of the pedals broke off.  It could use a tuning, but that just adds to the mojo.  Other than those minor issues the piano is definitely near mint and a real collectors item.

First thing I wondered was whether the key marked with "C" was actually a C key.

2 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

First thing I wondered was whether the key marked with "C" was actually a C key.

And then the inevitable disappointment.  

1 minute ago, mrjamiam said:

Probably led to the abandonment.

What 19th century music room features a grey piano with mislabeled keys?

The back story has to be much more entertaining than any of the music that remains within that instrument.  

The person who left it called me and said he was having a local charity pick it up.  The particular charity uses people in rehab to do the grunt work.  This might be fun to watch when they realize they cannot just pick it up. 

Something I have wondered about is whether someone could salvage wood from an old piano to make other instruments.  @The Shark you might want to consider a new project with the old wood from your piano if the case was made of mahogany or maple. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The person who left it called me and said he was having a local charity pick it up.  The particular charity uses people in rehab to do the grunt work.  This might be fun to watch when they realize they cannot just pick it up. 

Something I have wondered about is whether someone could salvage wood from an old piano to make other instruments.  @The Shark you might want to consider a new project with the old wood from your piano if the case was made of mahogany or maple. 

Speaking of salvage, the ivory might be of interest to someone.

You can actually buy legal elephant ivory.  If someone needs ivory for a restoration project it is possible to buy it, but age matching the look and feel might be a problem. 

African countries catch poachers, kill them on the spot, and keep the ivory tusks.  They sell the seized ivory for a price lower than the black market, but not in quantities for anyone to create an industry of genuine ivory products.  They still have poachers, but criminals never plan on getting caught. 

The legal ivory is probably as hard or harder to get across international borders than Indian rosewood.  No one is going to ship an old piano across the ocean anyway. 

47 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Are you sure that the keys have genuine ivory facings, or is it celluloid or another form of imitation ivory?

Considering the age of the piano, I would be fairly certain that the keys are real ivory keys.

1 hour ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Considering the age of the piano, I would be fairly certain that the keys are real ivory keys.

I'm not so sure, celluloid's been around since well before 1897:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/once-upon-time-exploding-billiard-balls-were-everyday-thing-180962751/

59 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

Also, looks like the "grain" that ivory has.

You mean, also like the 'Ivoroid' binding that Hamer used to use?

Quote from Wikipedia, under 'Uses':

"Celluloid is useful for producing cheaper jewellery, jewellery boxes, hair accessories and many items that would earlier have been manufactured from ivory, horn or other expensive animal products.  It was often referred to as "Ivorine" or "French Ivory". For this use, a form of celluloid was developed in France that had lines in it to make it resemble ivory.  It was also used for dressing table sets, dolls, picture frames, charms, hat pins, buttons, buckles, stringed instrument parts,accordions, fountain pens, cutlery handles and kitchen items. The main disadvantage the material had was that it was flammable. It was soon overtaken by Bakelite and Catalin. Table tennis balls were made from celluloid until 2014.".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celluloid

BTW, this Brittanica link was buried in the Smithsonian article about Celluloid, referring to John Wesley Hyatt, Celluloid's developer:

The Hyatts concentrated on forming celluloid into sheets, rods, and other unfinished shapes, usually leaving their fabrication into practical objects to licensed companies such as the Celluloid Brush Company, the Celluloid Waterproof Cuff and Collar Company, and the Celluloid Piano Key Company.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/John-Wesley-Hyatt

Celluloid and piano keys is also mentioned in the Wikipedia-equivalent article on Hyatt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Hyatt

11 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Beautiful mahogany, but nothing that is large enough to do anything with.  I guess someone could do a mahogany top, but there's nothing thick enough for a body or neck.  The stool is what I'm saving.  Using it under a cool old desk I found at an estate sale.  

If you find out the keys are Celluloid you can try to pass this useful info to future owners, for example writing a big C on one of them.

Wait a minute...

As for wood that can be salvaged for other instruments, as someone with a few acoustics and an archtop under his belt, I'd suggest seriously looking at the soundboard before worrying about the case, which is likely a combination of solid and veneered material. The spruce used on piano soundboards is often the very best on offer, and this piece has decades of resonating already under its belt. Soundboards don't go bad from overuse! They do crack from moving and improper storage, but they're still big and thick enough that good material can be recovered. Even as bracing material, that's gold.

I have a circa 1920 player piano mouldering in my (dry) 1940's garage, salvaged from my parent's basement romper room some 20 years ago. All the 'dress wood' is veneered. The key faces appeared to be ivory when I had to disassemble the keyboard (and some other protuberances) just to jockey the thing out.

Archived