Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

  1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. That sounds like an 80's punk band name.
  4. In 1992 I ordered a customized Chapparal 5 bass from Hamer: Fretless, with no fingerboard markers or lines, and with a "normal" headstock, not the inverted (pegs down) configuration that was standard on that product line. I ordered it through Make'n Music when they were on the north side of Chicago. (They are in the northern suburbs now, but I haven't been there since they moved.) After a wait (months, if I recall), I went to the store to pick it up. When the salesman proudly unveiled my new baby, it was just as I expected… but with frets! 😮 So I waited again and eventually received the instrument I wanted. I've often wondered who ended up with the fretted twin. The headstock configuration and lack of marker dots on the fretboard would help distinguish it from a standard bass of that model with the same color and wood choices. I know it's a long shot, but have any of you ever encountered the twin in the wild? The one I kept is still the main instrument I play every day. This is it today, serial number 230012:
  5. I've heard of the guy before but never dealt with him, he is/was one of the few people I know of who makes/used to make a repro of the Gibson P-13 single coil 'speed bump' pickup, which were found on lots of vintage Harmony/Silvertone-branded lap steels and some vintage Harmony archtops and semi-solidbody guitars, and were originally on those guitars from the late '30s/early 40's well into the late '50s. Curtis Novak also makes P-13 repro pickups, too. Neither one is inexpensive IIRC, last time I checked. His company's 'SD' moniker is, needless to say, easily confused with Seymour Duncan pickups, and apparently unrelated to those. Home: SD Pickups, Custom-Made Hand-Wound Pickups by Dave Stephens, Stephens Design
  6. Oh I know, I just wanted to use "paranoid Homo" in a sentence 🤣
  7. Agree with @cmatthes on the Quilter. Sounds GREAT!
  8. I wasn't throwin' shade achew, Cis Ge! 😇
  9. A beauty! Congrats.
  10. Yesterday
  11. Last update before the (not-so) big reveal. The body was finished in late August but the neck had to be re-cleared in September because of a botched logo decal placement. Yeah, I debated whether to put the Charvel logo on there but well, it has a gen-u-ine Charvel body and IMO, channels Charvel. It arrives Thursday, when it will be assembled and loaded with electronics and hardware. Hoping this one has the mojo.
  12. I got this guitar. There is an old post on HFC and on Gear Page referencing it being sold at an LA-area guitar center. This is from 2020 on TGP "That pink Hamer of hers popped in Guitar Centers used inventory in LA about ten years ago for like $900. I nearly broke the phone trying to call but missed it." This is from @polara on here in 2014: "That Junior was in a west coast Guitar Center a few years back. I saw the ad and freaked - it was like $500 - but when I called someone had snagged it." AND your memory is backed up here @GC Ron "And if iirc it was listed as a Kramer. That's how I missed it." It is also listed as being sold at a charity auction in 2006. https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/auction-hamer-guitar-custom-built-for-shakira-877600? (no winning bid posted that I can see) I didn't get any additional info from the seller. I should probably ask.
  13. That’s crazy. When I worked at GC, they had fifteen stores nation wide.
  14. I've been following him for years. Incredible work, craftsmanship. Inspirational. David has been posting this build now for a bit. Fun watch.
  15. Never said you did... quit being a paranoid Homo! 🤣
  16. Gabe talks a good game, but as always, it's let's go back to what worked before we screwed the pooch. This is like the fifth round trip back to the future. A year after getting rid of a whole lot of us vets he realizes, whoops we did it again.
  17. My memory is fuzzy, wasn't this sold by GC a few years back and it was listed under another brand name and a great price?
  18. I wasn't making a fun post or making fun of him. His YouTube channel is, "SDPickups." He's old, I don't know how old Seymour D is now. I looked it up and thought Seymour looks like shit for 75. I watched it twice and couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I read the comments, also confusing because of two different names being used. During the second pass I wondered if it was someone working for Seymour. I did finally find his website which has multiple broken links and then I realized it's not Seymour Duncan Pickups. And, now it makes sense because I watched several videos about a month ago where the guy spoke very slowly, in depth, never showing himself, about the ABR 1 bridge. Each video was around 30 minutes long, going in depth about the metals and dimensions in the original ABR 1. I almost posted those videos but then decided you guys would think I've fallen out of my wheelchair being that interested in a bridge. He had some good points. Now I've learned he's one of 4 people who are in the business to sell this bridge. And it's hundreds of dollars. So no, I wasn't making a joke about this poor old guy. Well, except for the IBS edit. I honestly thought it may be Seymour at SDpickups.
  19. The GC is going to be on the top floor of the old Lord & Taylor bld between High Ridge and Long ridge. Its great hearing that there are board members around. Ill try to hit a Norwalk gig soon
  20. His name is Dave Stevens, I kind of feel sorry for him, he's just an old dude trying to drudge through life... 🤷‍♂️ How to Contact Dave Stephens: SD Pickups, Custom Hand-Wound Pickups by Dave Stephens, Stephens Design https://share.google/61eqtq5bpA4F46IWF
  21. I thought when you were off the spectrum spectrum it was called "colorblindness".
  22. Looks like a really cool place... I wish I lived closer, I'd buy you a beer and throw a couple of quarters in your guitar case 😃👌
  23. A buddy of mine was in a group and they set up for the gig, then like 10 minutes before no one could find the guitar player, so my buddy went outside looking around for him. He was in the shopping center across the road rolling on the ground with a paper bag over his head and a can of paint next to him. The look on his face told me the gig went...poorly.
  1. Load more activity
×
×
  • Create New...