-
Posts
4,137 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
6
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by ArnieZ
-
Why hasn't this sold?
ArnieZ replied to atquinn's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I'd buy it, but I don't like the color! Ridiculously cheap, this is one that might actually be a good investment, current list is $8500 if you could get one at 50% off it would still be over 4K. Gotta be worth more in the future ArnieZ -
Belgian, I have the sister to your T51 in the middle. ArnieZ
-
Hi Arnie I think that guitar on the right is the most beautifull Hamer I have ever seen. I'm not a yealous guy but in this case....... Steven Thanks Steven! I'm very fond of it myself ArnieZ
-
Same pair different light! ArnieZ
-
Welcome Nice diversity in your Hamers so far...but there is much yet to discover! ArnieZ
-
Way to go! Tally's are great guitars and the Earthen Maple is very cool!! ArnieZ
-
Ultimate on eBay
ArnieZ replied to veatch's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I belive that solid body brown sugar ultimate was Phoenix's. Beautiful guitar! ArniZ -
Ultimate on eBay
ArnieZ replied to veatch's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Ken, The color is brown sugar, photo in early AM sunlight. Brown sugar was a originally developed by Phoenix. I think it is honey with a dash of brown. Interesting story on the top. I had picked out a top at HFC 6, I think. I got an email from Alpep saying there was a problem with the top. After it was bookmatched, a defect was noted and they didn't want to make the guitar with it. Jol, said I could take a ride to the shop and pick again. I think it was Frank who had this billet stashed in his work area, when I saw I knew I wanted it! Here is a pic of the raw billet. And here is a pic of my honey Artist Custom and Ultimate ine the same light ArnieZ -
Ultimate on eBay
ArnieZ replied to veatch's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I'm obviously an Ultimate fan, tho not the cognac finish. Worth every penny of the asking price. A more unique sounding guitar than you might think. The pickups and wiring in these really separates them from an Artist Custom. ArnieZ -
New to the forum and new Hamer addict.
ArnieZ replied to vikingrat's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Welcome! Mostly everyone here started with just 1 Hamer ArnieZ -
I think the ebony headstock overlay is standard on all bound and victoried guitars, I don't know about the models without the "custom" designation. ArnieZ
-
Happy Birthday Have a great day! ArnieZ
-
Happy Birthday Have a great day!! ArnieZ
-
I'd Appreciate Your Prayers, Vibes and Thoughts
ArnieZ replied to DavidE's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Many positive vibes coming your way from CT ArnieZ -
1984 Standard 0734 in the house w/ lots-O-photos
ArnieZ replied to RoyB's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Great great job, you deserve to be a proud pappa!! ArnieZ -
Cool Matt! Glad it arrived safely and in great condition and thanks for renewing the hope that there are still some great scores out there. ArnieZ
-
Happy Birthday Have a great day!! ArnieZ
-
have a great one guys!! ArnieZ
-
4ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker?
ArnieZ replied to edgar_allan_poe's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Dave, This is just semantics. Regardlees of the effect on the amp a larger ohm speaker is considered a bigger load. More resistance =bigger load. The effect this has on the amp is a different matter. Conventional wisdom is that it is safer to drive an amp into a higher load, bigger # of ohms relative to it's impedance than to drive it into a smaller load relative to it's impedance. That said, quality amps will tolerate some mis match without blowing. ArnieZ -
4ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker?
ArnieZ replied to edgar_allan_poe's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
According to THD the Hot Plate should match the output of the amp. They make different units for each impedance. The Bad Cat unit has an adjustable impedance and the DR Z Airbrake is a nominal 8 ohm unit. Some amplifier companies say the warranty is voided if you use an attenuator. I can't speak to atennuator amp and cab mismatches, I am not knowledgeable enough. As far as amp speaker mismatches it is safer to connect the amp to a higher resistance load than a lower resistance load ie 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cab. ArnieZ -
4ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker?
ArnieZ replied to edgar_allan_poe's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Actually, that's totally wrong. It's safer to go lower in impedance, ie 8 ohm out into a 4 ohm load, than to go up. Simplified, the power tubes are current sink devices, and they drive current into the output transformer (the OT). The current is stepped up by the turns ratio of the primary and secondary, and driven into the load. The higher the load resistance, the higher the voltage will have to rise to achieve the current that's being driven. It's Ohm's Law, and that never changes. Then, that voltage will be reflected back to the primary, and it will get stepped up accordingly by whatever the turns ratio of the OT is.....you can easily end up with 1000VDC and more on the plates with mismatching. SOme amps can take it, some can't. You ever wonder why so many old Marshalls had blown output transformers, while it was rare with Fenders? The load ratings are not set in stone either, rather they're more of an average. Everything changes depending on frequency, etc. Sometimes you might find that an amp actually sounds better with a mismatch, but keep the above in mind.....it's just safer to stay within the set parameters. Dave, I don't know if you're contradicting yourself or I didn't make myself clear in my original post. What I said was it is safer to go to a higher impedance ie speaker load than a lower one. Example 8 ohms from the amp to 16 ohm speaker. this is exactly what DR Z said. The question is whether it is safe to do this and apparently it is, of course matching is preferable and going into a smaller than optimal speaker load may damage your amp. ArnieZ -
4ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker?
ArnieZ replied to edgar_allan_poe's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Here's a quote from Dr Z on the subject. I don't think this applies to Dr Z amps only. Moderator Owner/Creator Z Amplification member is offline Joined: May 2005 Gender: Male Posts: 644 Location: Cleveland Ohio Karma: 397 [ Exalt | Smite ] Re: Z28 w/16 ohm speaker? Help DOC « Reply #3 on Mar 9, 2008, 3:45pm » -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pete ALWAYS remember you can run a tube amp into a LARGER load and no damage will be done. You will generate less heat. You will generate less wattage. And your tone will change depending on the speaker might be for the better or worse. This is all with respect to Ohms Law. I have a dear friend who use to run a Super reverb ( 4X10 , 2 ohm load) with a 4X10 2 ohm extension cab. The total load was under one ohm, needless to say he went threw 6L6's like candy, overheated his transformer and blew a couple, but boy did the James Gang sound good. That is the point lowering the load for increased power is BAD long term. Running into a larger load lowers power and sometimes tone suffers. And oh yes my dear friend was/is Joe Walsh. Z -
4ohm load into a 16 ohm speaker?
ArnieZ replied to edgar_allan_poe's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Genarally it's OK to run an amp into a higher impedance ie 4ohm out into an 8 or 16 ohm speaker. Generally not good to run a 16 ohm out into a 4 ohm speaker. Some of this of course is dependant on how beefy the amp is etc. ArnieZ -
Sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family! ArnieZ
-
That's a beautiful piece of wood!! ArnieZ