Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 1996 Mahogany Standard on eBay

That's a super nice one.

]I would guess $1,100-1,200. with no original case.

I dont know. It's been on Craigslist for awhile at $1000 with no takers. I hope you're right though. I don't liketo see Hamer prices falling even though I've benefitted lately because of it.

For what it's worth:

I live about 5 minutes away from the seller and can't see the guitar in person.

When I asked to see the guitar, this is the response I got...

Sorry-there are already bids on it etc. Wouldn't be fair to the other 600 people who have viewed it online, I think an EBay seller terms violation actually. I removed it from Craigslist a couple days ago when I realized I couldn't have it for sale on both (after the first bid)

It is as advertised. Could use a string change, maybe a setup, but it's a major plank of tone wood, killer pickups, un-dinged, just too heavy for my tired old neck and never played much because it was collectible and, well, heavy. The customer service manager for Hamer said blanks like that are impossible to get these days and that it was worth as much as $3500 (he also verified the wood as mahogany and the year as '96). Beyond that...gotta go 'cause I have 5 questions to answer about it from eBay members.

I asked to see the guitar again, and got blown off again. The guitar is probably real, but the seller has some...issues B)

For what it's worth:

I live about 5 minutes away from the seller and can't see the guitar in person.

When I asked to see the guitar, this is the response I got...

Sorry-there are already bids on it etc. Wouldn't be fair to the other 600 people who have viewed it online, I think an EBay seller terms violation actually. I removed it from Craigslist a couple days ago when I realized I couldn't have it for sale on both (after the first bid)

It is as advertised. Could use a string change, maybe a setup, but it's a major plank of tone wood, killer pickups, un-dinged, just too heavy for my tired old neck and never played much because it was collectible and, well, heavy. The customer service manager for Hamer said blanks like that are impossible to get these days and that it was worth as much as $3500 (he also verified the wood as mahogany and the year as '96). Beyond that...gotta go 'cause I have 5 questions to answer about it from eBay members.

I asked to see the guitar again, and got blown off again. The guitar is probably real, but the seller has some...issues B)

Yeah, I kinda got that feeling when I got his answer about the weight, he mentioned that there was 'lots of interest' but funnily enough he didn't give me any details about weight--and he still hasn't. Seems like I got my answer here. It seems like he's trying to sell the sizzle as much as the steak here, maybe more so.

Sorry-there are already bids on it etc. Wouldn't be fair to the other 600 people who have viewed it online, I think an EBay seller terms violation actually.1 I removed it from Craigslist a couple days ago when I realized I couldn't have it for sale on both (after the first bid)

It is as advertised. Could use a string change, maybe a setup, but it's a major plank of tone wood, killer pickups, un-dinged, just too heavy for my tired old neck2 and never played much because it was collectible3 and, well, heavy. The customer service manager for Hamer said blanks like that are impossible to get these days4 and that it was worth as much as $35005 (he also verified the wood as mahogany and the year as '96). Beyond that...gotta go 'cause I have 5 questions to answer about it from eBay members6.

What a sorry collection of horseshit and misinformation.

1. Translation: "Don't bother me. Just buy my guitar, ebaY douche." There is no such rule or policy about inspection before the end of the auction.
  2. Take off the skirt.
  3. As "collectible" as any other guitar around $1000.
  4. No, they're not.
  5. No, it isn't.
  6. See #1.

Sorry-there are already bids on it etc. Wouldn't be fair to the other 600 people who have viewed it online, I think an EBay seller terms violation actually.1 I removed it from Craigslist a couple days ago when I realized I couldn't have it for sale on both (after the first bid)

It is as advertised. Could use a string change, maybe a setup, but it's a major plank of tone wood, killer pickups, un-dinged, just too heavy for my tired old neck2 and never played much because it was collectible3 and, well, heavy. The customer service manager for Hamer said blanks like that are impossible to get these days4 and that it was worth as much as $35005 (he also verified the wood as mahogany and the year as '96). Beyond that...gotta go 'cause I have 5 questions to answer about it from eBay members6.

1. Translation: "Don't bother me. Just buy my guitar, ebaY douche." There is no such rule or policy about inspection before the end of the auction.
  2. Take off the skirt.
  4. No, they're not.
  5. No, it isn't.
  6. See #1.

B)B)B)

2. Take off the skirt.
  4. No, they're not.
  5. No, it isn't.
  6. See #1.

B)B)B)

+1! Why would you not want to entertain a local sale to avoid shipping hassles, etc? Oh-must be the other 600 people looking at the auction (or actually the other three-Sir Douche is probably checking his own auction every five minutes).

Hamer customer service is now giving appraisals? Yeah, right.

I emailed the seller for a weight, he said he'd try to find out and get back to me. That was a couple of days ago, no news yet.

He did answer that to me, do not remember the number, but was indeed heavy, I think over 9lbs. Not unreasonable for such a big guitar, but of no interest to me at all. He was actually pretty nice in his response, but I was probably an early one, and he later realized many people are indeed interested in the weight.

Edited: I was wrong, I just found his answer:

"Hi Jorge- Nice guitar you are inquiring about. All frets are in good shape as this guitar has no wear and has barely been played. I have no scale to weigh the guitar at present but have estimated its "with case" weight for shipping at 15 lbs. I can tell you it is amongst the heaviest I own (out of 40+), a real sustain monster as mentioned in my listing."

So, no weight given. B)

Guest pirateflynn

I'm kind of with the seller on this one. Why deal with a number of local lookie loos after being unable to sell the guitar through craig's list. I don't want any strangers coming to my house and I don't really want to meet anybody at a parking lot, or whatever, either. Once it's on eBay the market has expanded nationally or even globally. A guy from my town can buy an item of mine (I'll even deliver it, if I have time) but he has to bid, win and pay for it. Every time I've allowed "special" treatment to an interested party it hasn't panned out.

Have you ever played through an amp over phone for a buyer so he can hear what it sounds like? DON'T!!!

lol

I'm kind of with the seller on this one. Why deal with a number of local lookie loos after being unable to sell the guitar through craig's list. I don't want any strangers coming to my house and I don't really want to meet anybody at a parking lot, or whatever, either. Once it's on eBay the market has expanded nationally or even globally. A guy from my town can buy an item of mine (I'll even deliver it, if I have time) but he has to bid, win and pay for it. Every time I've allowed "special" treatment to an interested party it hasn't panned out.

Have you ever played through an amp over phone for a buyer so he can hear what it sounds like? DON'T!!!

lol

1) When I contacted the seller initially, it was on Craigslist, not Ebay.

2) The description of the guitar changed every week while it was on craiglist...the year, the wood, a "Pro" set-up, oh wait...now it has the original strings and has never been set-up! That's why it didn't sell on Craigslist!

3) I never asked for any special treatment and told the seller I would bid on it through Ebay if I liked it...what's wrong with that? The guy wouldn't even give me his first name!

No matter if it's a car or guitar, if you are the seller and want to get top dollar, you accomodate your customers (and potential customers). That's part of doing business.

lol

I wouldn't liken this to attempting to demonstrate an amp over the phone. At least you were trying to sell it!

He didn't say he couldn't move it locally. He made up some nonsense about how he "couldn't have it for sale on both" (sites) and how it "wouldn't be fair to the other 600 people who have viewed it online."

Both are false.

He can have it for sale in a million places and on ebaY at the same time. The catch is, if he ends the auction early (as in a local out of ebaY sale), he still has to pay the listing fees. That's one of the million ways that ebaY protects itself. They ALWAYS get their money. You have to always hope to get yours.

Cue the Muse: "EbaY sucks."

The whole issue here is that the guy is not being truthful to the prospective buyers and he's not being helpful to his own cause.

Cue the Muse: "EbaY sucks."

Yep. The moral of the story remains the same. No one needs to buy or sell any item, let alone a guitar, badly enough to justify interacting with the human refuse that has overrun that hellhole.

Set a higher standard for yourself. Resolve to stop using eBay in '09.

Guest pirateflynn

I guess I made the assumption that he had tried to sell it locally on craig's list (and couldn't) and than resorted to eBay. Almost all eBay transactions are done by description and pictures. If a guy wants to come over and check out a guitar I would almost always say no. I'm sure there are exceptions like if we're talking about an expensive vintage piece. A visual inspection and in hand demo would make more sense but otherwise, in my experience, these kind of inquiries come for buyers would are not serious. If you don't like the terms of the seller, move on. It's as simple as that.

BTW, it looks like a pretty nice guitar to me but if you have doubts .... pass.

I guess I made the assumption that he had tried to sell it locally on craig's list (and couldn't) and than resorted to eBay. Almost all eBay transactions are done by description and pictures. If a guy wants to come over and check out a guitar I would almost always say no. I'm sure there are exceptions like if we're talking about an expensive vintage piece. A visual inspection and in hand demo would make more sense but otherwise, in my experience, these kind of inquiries come for buyers would are not serious. If you don't like the terms of the seller, move on. It's as simple as that.

All valid points, but do not change the fact that the seller is making up shit.

Archived