Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Jeff Watson Hamer FS in Japan

Ran across this during a search:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c874440068

If you open this in Google Chrome, it should give you the option to translate.

With shipping and import duties, a buyer would be looking at between $2,500 - $2,700 all in getting it to the states. I have no idea if this is a good deal.

Anyway, it's not really my thing. But if someone here is interested, I'm happy to lend a hand.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Hmmm...all I'm seeing on that website is Gretsch bridges and parts.  No sight of any Hamers there, unless I need to open up more pages on that website.

Since I'm a complete dumbass, I initially posted the wrong link. It's correct now, try again.

2 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

Not the dillhole inlay on the last fret?

Yeah, I could do without that too. 
I honestly never understood the Watson Model hysteria. There was a time when they were worth almost their weight in gold.
This one is an especially ordinary looking guitar.

They're rare, great players, very comfortable and one of those "near unobtainium" Hamers.   There was a run of 30 for the Japanese market in the mid-1990s and a handful of others made that weren't specifically for Jeff, as it was never a catalog model.

Not everybody's cup of tea maybe, but still highly sought after.

15 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

They're rare, great players, very comfortable and one of those "near unobtainium" Hamers.   There was a run of 30 for the Japanese market in the mid-1990s and a handful of others made that weren't specifically for Jeff, as it was never a catalog model.

Not everybody's cup of tea maybe, but still highly sought after.

They went from "near unobtainium" Hamers to "worth not much more than a nice Mirage," which is what they are, really.

24 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Isn’t it just about time for the HFC to initiate a 27th fret inlay CRUSADE?

It's not nearly as bad as a 1st fret Victory or crown inlay, but count me in.

12 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It's not nearly as bad as a 1st fret Victory or crown inlay, but count me in.

Ahh!!!  You beat me to that post. First thing I thought of when I saw the comment about the 27th fret inlay...

I love the idea of the Watson. Love a fixed bridge even more. Love my Mirages so I should love a Watson too, right...?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the necks were fairly slim on the Watsons. Anyone know if there’s any truth to that...?

51 minutes ago, kizanski said:

They went from "near unobtainium" Hamers to "worth not much more than a nice Mirage," which is what they are, really.

Although, technically didn’t the Watson come first?  So, wouldn’t the Mirage be not much more than a stripped down Watson...?

9 minutes ago, Travis said:

Although, technically didn’t the Watson come first?  So, wouldn’t the Mirage be not much more than a stripped down Watson...?

Which came first is not the issue.
We've all seen dozens of Mirages that will make you think twice about putting any kind of premium on a Watson. 

8 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Which came first is not the issue.
We've all seen dozens of Mirages that will make you think twice about putting any kind of premium on a Watson. 

Yeah, I feel like I own a couple of them.  But I may biased...

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

Yeah, I feel like I own a couple of them.  But I may biased...

All personal bias aside, I know I have.

DSC_1366.jpg

body4.jpg

DSCN7468.JPG

DSCN0571.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Oh yeah, and they were great players and very comfortable.

13 minutes ago, kizanski said:

body4.jpg

Ooh...  that maple top is killer. Reminds me of the natural one I foolishly sold years ago. Guy in Chicagoland was selling a natural and a blue Mirage maple top and after a few minutes of fondling, I chose the natural. I’ll get another one someday. Hopefully wish a grain pattern on par with these two. 

95D89768-AFF6-4576-B30C-5E4BCB7B150A.jpeg

D52D6CF2-E7F1-4E41-A395-9982963F20C9.jpeg

41 minutes ago, kizanski said:

IMG_0196.jpg

I just noticed the blower switch on this Mirage. All the other ones I’ve seen were black. Was this one changed or did they just run out of black mini toggles at the factory and throw in whatever they had lying around...?

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I just noticed the blower switch on this Mirage. All the other ones I’ve seen were black. Was this one changed or did they just run out of black mini toggles at the factory and throw in whatever they had lying around...?

I honestly have not idea.  Never noticed that until you mentioned it, to be honest.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

All personal bias aside, I know I have.

Oh yeah, and they were great players and very comfortable.

Yeah, but you couldn't play all those notes up to the 27th fret!! :D

Archived