Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Custom Super Str@t, “Lyle Workman”, $3K, Reverb, N/A

Lyle Workman of Bourgeois Tagg.

Which seems like a familiar band name, but I don't think I recognize any of the songs I can find on YouTube by them.

Actually, I think I recognize this song. Decent guitar solo.  But the only "official video" has horrible audio quality.

2 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

In my inexpert opinion, it's a Californian, just without the slanted pickup or an extended fretboard.

… with a reverse Diablo headstock…. 

also, maybe it’s the angle of the photo, but does the upper horn appear to be a little elongated?

6 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Similar pickup configuration to a Nightswan.  I knew Workman was a longtime Hamer artist, but never saw that particular one.  Kind of cool.

Definitely would seem more aesthetically pleasing to me if it had dual HBs (now it's just strikes me more as a malformed california than nightswan), but that one seems really forward from the bridge.  Is that the usual placement?

8 hours ago, topekatj said:

… with a reverse Diablo headstock…. 

also, maybe it’s the angle of the photo, but does the upper horn appear to be a little elongated?

good catch on the headstock.

Not sure about the upper horn....I can't see any difference on, say, this one.

https://reverb.com/item/56295852-pre-owned-1988-hamer-californian-black-with-ohsc

Other reasons I see it as a Cali: scalloped cutaways. only 1 vol knob, and because on a normal Cali, the slanted edge pushes the pickup bridgeward, it very nearly is just a middle pickup without a neck pickup, much like this one.

(Interestingly perhaps only to me, Yamaha had a guitar that also was just a bridge and "neck" pickup that was closer to where the middle pickup would be on any other guitar.  The SE 250:

https://reverb.com/item/62849918-yamaha-se-250-1986-fire-red

11 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

In my inexpert opinion, it's a Californian, just without the slanted pickup or a extended fretboard.

It's definitely a Cali body with a heavily optioned neck, to boot. That bridge pickup is placed forward of its normal position. 

On 12/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Lyle Workman of Bourgeois Tagg.

Which seems like a familiar band name, but I don't think I recognize any of the songs I can find on YouTube by them.

He's on the Building an American Legend, Hamer Guitars DVD playing a Red Monaco 3 P90 p/u

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, kizanski said:

"He plays a Hamer guitar."

Wow... Information overload.

s-l1600.jpg

Right after I moved to Minneapolis in 1989, I saw Todd twice at First Avenue on this tour.  I've still got the ticket stubs, from August 1989 and February 1990.  I'm guessing I was in the same room with this guitar a couple of times and didn't even realize it.  It was fantastic tour, btw, which is why I went back the second time.  I took photos at the first show, and just looked at them, but it was film and I was some distance away so I didn't have any good pics of the guitarist.  Ah well.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:20 AM, Camstone said:

Is this the guitar?

Holy crap is there some tasty shredding by Lyle on that one!

Will the guitar make me sound that good?!?

Archived