Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA ; FAKE, Do not buy Seymour Duncans from China

I thought I would get lucky and actually receive the Seymour Duncan , Hot Rod Humbucker set , at about 1/2 price. Ordered off E-bay from a Chinese distributer. They are selling very good looking counterfeit copies. Pretty hard to tell the difference. I spent hours investigating.E-bay wanted me to inform the seller what didn't appear correct. I told them I wasn't going to help them perfect the fake product . The printed name was different between the 2 pickups , base plates too thin, serial number sticker not exactly right. I should have known better. "A deal to good to be true !! "  Fake, Do Not Buy

I've been buying directly from companies that offer direct sales and only their verified resellers.  So far so good.

The easiest way to know if a product is fake is to weight it on an accurate scale.  Check the original manufacturers specs, then weight the cheap product you just bought.  If it's a lot heavier, it's from China. Why you may ask?  Because everything from dog food to donuts to watches from China is mostly made of lead...😯😂😂😂

I asked a couple manufacturers about their bass strings how to tell if they are knockoffs or real as they come in open plastic bags or card board box with stamped series or inserts.

They're not friendly about any facts about their strings so I'll buy direct for now on.

If anyone has any thoughts on Juststrings.com please let me know. 

Thanks,

HR

13 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

I asked a couple manufacturers about their bass strings how to tell if they are knockoffs or real as they come in open plastic bags or card board box with stamped series or inserts.

They're not friendly about any facts about their strings so I'll buy direct for now on.

Thanks,

HR

Try Curt Mangan strings.  They sell direct as well as through select dealers and you can have custom gauged sets for a slight bit more than stock.  I've been buying both 4 and 12 string bass sets for 10 years now and just recently had custom gauged 4 string sets made.

https://www.curtmangan.com/

15 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

The easiest way to know if a product is fake is to weight it on an accurate scale.  Check the original manufacturers specs, then weight the cheap product you just bought.  If it's a lot heavier, it's from China. Why you may ask?  Because everything from dog food to donuts to watches from China is mostly made of lead...😯😂😂😂

21 hours ago, DeVai said:

base plates too thin

Great. Now you're going to get the "Weight? Base plate profile?" questions every time you try to sell a fucking pickup.

6 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Great. Now you're going to get the "Weight? Base plate profile?" questions every time you try to sell a fucking pickup.

I was kidding.   Or, were you kidding me, and I just missed the joke for lack of enough strong coffee?  (I'm still in a fog).

13 minutes ago, HSB0531 said:

I was kidding.   Or, were you kidding me, and I just missed the joke for lack of enough strong coffee?  (I'm still in a fog).

I'm saying the typical Rear Pager will take that at face value without thinking twice about it.

Because, you know, heavier pickups make for a heavier guitar, which won't do during those grueling 4-hour gigs under a flat screen showing the Kings/Thunder game in the corner of the local B.Dubs.

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

I'm saying the typical Rear Pager will take that at face value without thinking twice about it.

Because, you know, heavier pickups make for a heavier guitar, which won't do during those grueling 4-hour gigs under a flat screen showing the Kings/Thunder game in the corner of the local B.Dubs.

Ok.  I'll add a ( I'm just joking, kidding, having fun with this and not serious, please don't take this seriously ) disclaimer next time.

24 minutes ago, HSB0531 said:

Ok.  I'll add a ( I'm just joking, kidding, having fun with this and not serious, please don't take this seriously ) disclaimer next time.

Please don’t.  It is often more fun with the confusion…

just kidding… or am I????

6 minutes ago, mathman said:

Please don’t.  It is often more fun with the confusion…

just kidding… or am I????

But, it's for the good of all The HFC, and all of Human-Kind......I must, I must! (1)

Disclaimers:

(1) ( I'm just joking, kidding, having fun with this and not serious, please don't take this seriously ) 

On 12/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, Ham Rex said:

Thanks,

HR

Just strings I a dealer for just about every string maker, and I have never heard of them having fake strings.

The problem is that the fakes are EVERYWHERE. They fake the strings. They fake the wrappers. It's driving many string makers bananas trying to keep track of all the fake strings going around, and sometimes even "respectable" companies end up buying strings that are knockoffs unwittingly, and selling them as real.

I post sometimes at the EBMM forums, and have seen so many people who bought "real EBMM strings" from random sellers on amazon or ebay, who claimed they were EBMM dealers.  Unfortunately both ebay and amazon fall quite short on the Due Diligence scale. They really care very little about stopping the flow of counterfeit goods, as long as they still make money.

13 hours ago, MCChris said:

Because, you know, heavier pickups make for a heavier guitar, which won't do during those grueling 4-hour gigs under a flat screen showing the Kings/Thunder game in the corner of their tricked-out, suburban "Man Cave".

FIFY

Archived