-
Posts
4,137 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
6
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by ArnieZ
-
Happy Birthday guys, have a great day!! ArnieZ
-
Late to the party but happy birthday just the same! ArnieZ
-
Dialed Jol's old extension at Hamer and got the following message: Jol Dantzig no longer works for Hamer if you need to speak to him call Frank Untermayer. Well I am shocked and unhappy with the change. I can't forsee the future but Hamer has always been associated with Jol. Whether you agreed or disagreed with some of his decisions he has been directly resonsible for designing and producing some mighty fine guitars. He is a Hamer icon. I hope he lands on his feet and is able to do something he loves! ArnieZ
-
So - How Much *Should* a Custom Hamer Cost?
ArnieZ replied to veatch's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
When I ordered my Ultimate (a quasi custom order). The upgrades were for the quilt top and Victory inlays. I was not charged for the color change. I normally wouldn't go for such a blinged out guitar, my playing pales in comparison. I did want to own a guitar that displayed fine lutherie and was very impressed with what went into that model. I also felt that they were selling these guitars at no profit or even a loss! I think retail at the time was $4500, certainly not more than $5000. If you took an Artist and added up all the options it was way more money than the price of an Ultimate. The end result is that I have a guitar that is somewhat unique. It is my best playing guitar and gorgeous to look at. The entire process from picking the top and checking out color samples was very pleasing and I have a stronger connection to that guitar than any of my others. I don't know if you could put a price on that. Of course in the Hamer used market I don't know If I could sell it for what I paid and list is now $8500 . edited to add it's not for sale ArnieZ -
For those who care and don't know, almost every piece that Willcutt orders is a custom piece. They are Hamer's largest dealer and buy a significant % of their output. ArnieZ
-
Have a great day!! ArnieZ
-
Very cool, thanks for posting arniez
-
Anyone know anything about this one
ArnieZ replied to esquared's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Definitely an import, has the fake Ultimate purfling. ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Of course if you show the entire guitar in an add photo, the body of the guitar is very small. How does everyone feel about the DeAngelico New Yorker headstock? I'm not buying the headstock thing. People are more concerned with what they perceive as cool and image than they are quality. I had never heard of Hamer whenI bought my first, a T51. I was looking for a Tele and after playing he Hamer and doing a little research, there was no doubt. the Hamer was clearly a higher quality instrument and it showed. ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I'm still wating for an official announcement that Hamer will be a custom shop only, and whether that means you can order instruments that were previously "stock" at the going rate or total customs. ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
100% correct, but PRS is a large volume manufacturer compared to Hamer. Hamer doesn't have the staff, manufaturing space or machinery to do what PRS does. You can argue that that's what Hamer should be doing... ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Get rid of the ugly stuff, like the headstock? I happen to really like it myself ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
As far as Hamer's direction, I think it's pretty clear. I have spoken to Jol about this numerous times over the last several years. The time and effort required to make a guitar of the quality that is Hamer, doesn't allow lower priced guitars. Jol does not want to scarifice quality in materials or crafstmanship. The guitars start becoming profitable when the nicer appointments are added. This increases the value of the guitars disproportionally to the added labor costs. Any viable business would choose to sell product that is more vs less profitable if they can. ArnieZ -
Another sign of "no love" for Hamers
ArnieZ replied to Hgb5000's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Reliced T and S style guitars are all the rage and on the TGP some gear obtains mystique beyond what may be deserved. Of course Hamer could be marketed better. Hamer's low resale hurts it's quality image, and a lot of gear flippers don't want to lose a bunch of $$. Couple that with the fact that it is getting harder to walk into a shop and play a few different examples. There is also a whole group of people who will admit that Hamer is as good or better than what they are playing but they feel playing a LP or a Strat etc gives them more credibility as a player. For many it's not how well you play but what you play. ArnieZ -
Lefty upcharge still listed on the website as $300 ArnieZ
-
Hamer lefty's at no upcharge? News to me!! ArnieZ
-
Guitar you didn't buy and still kicking yourself...
ArnieZ replied to Siaip Ciuvas's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I can't count the number of gold top Les Pauls I passed over at pawn shops in the mid 60's. the going rate for them was about $75. I thought they were too heavy and out of style! ArnieZ -
Timing has a lot to do with this, I think. The Pro was not available when I bought my Tally and I certainly would have considered it. The economy has really cut into disposable income and there are not many dealers with Pros in stock. I love my Hamers as much as anyone but would not want to take the hit on a resale of a new Tally Pro if it had to be moved. A few years ago, I would have taken the chance. Wouldn't have liked taking the hit, but I would have taken the chance ArnieZ
-
I would loan most of my guitars, not all, to certain people. I have accidentaly dinged my guitars etc and though I'm never happy about it, shit happens. I would not expect them to be abused or taken care of in less than the fashion I would. I think anyone I would consider loaning a guitar to would inherently understand that. ArnieZ
-
Love It! ArnieZ
-
First post: My first Hamer Guitar!
ArnieZ replied to tbonesullivan's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Welcome! In the case of Hamers "buyer beware" is a good thing, and you will be buying ArnieZ -
Wow, seems sudden. RIP ArnieZ
-
Happy Birthday!! ArnieZ
-
My first Hamer, retro-fitted with a Fishman bridge in CT shortly after the move from IL. 1 piece ash body! ArnieZ