-
Posts
2,500 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by alantig
-
There are a couple greatest hits packages, but I'd recommend some version of "The Hits/B-Sides". It was released as two single discs ("The Hits 1", "The Hits 2", I believe) and a three-disc set with a disc of B-sides. The three-disc set might not be the best way to dive in for someone new, at least at the list price, but if you can find it used, it's probably worth it. Highlights for me from that set, among others, are "7", "Purple Rain", "Little Red Corvette", "Raspberry Beret", "When Doves Cry", "1999", "Head", "Peach", "U Got The Look" and "Sexy MF". Haven't gotten deep into his catalog outside of that, but some tracks elsewhere I'd recommend are "Take Me With You" from "Purple Rain" and "Holy River" and "Face Down" from "Emancipation. Not all SFW. Alan
-
The Queensryche saga -long read, but it's worth reading.
alantig replied to zorrow's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Not true. So not true. Human League won the coin flip and gets him first. -
The Queensryche saga -long read, but it's worth reading.
alantig replied to zorrow's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I'm not sure I buy Tate's story on TMS. Some things don't add up, like the idea that he can't understand why they won't talk to him after he pulled a knife on them and spit at them. Or that there were no creative differences, but he complains (elsewhere) that the rest of the band wouldn't participate in writing. If you saw them on the Rocklahoma broadcast, it was somewhat bizarre. Tate didn't look at another band member for the full 90 minutes. No eye contact whatsoever, no acknowledgement that there was anyone else on stage with him. -
Alan
-
I kind of took Grohl's message to be aimed at folks who might think you have to have AutoTune and 683 tracks of synths and 146 dancers to make good 'music'. I'm not really much of a Foo fan at all, but I respect the message. I didn't take it "Look - we did this all live to tape with one mic" or anything like that. Just that it wasn't tweaked to within an inch of its life. Speaking of docs and what they reveal, I lost a lot of respect for Metallica when I watched "A Year And Half..." and saw that Lars and the engineer went through and picked each individual snare hit and moved them around to comp the best ones together into one drum track. I've got nothing against editing and punching in, but even though he was replacing stuff he played, it was like it was a totally artificial construct (says the guy who's using Steven Slate Drums...) Alan
-
+1 on the Samsung LED. Not necessarily a fan of some of the software implementation, specifically picture-in-picture, but mine's a couple years old, so they may work differently now. The way PIP works on mine, the inset can only be the over-the-air antenna. And only the ANALOG OTA, which, as you may have heard, is useless as everything is now digital. That's the one thing my old Panasonic TV had all over this one - PIP and split screen that worked flawlessly. Nothing like two NHL playoff games on at the same time! Alan
-
I don't know (sorry - no reference intended) what the chemistry with Ozzy will be like, but the reunion with Dio under the Heaven and Hell name was pretty damn good. Lots of energy there, and good music as well. Ozzy? I haven't been overly encouraged by what he's done lately. Nothing in years has grabbed me enough to buy it, other than the Blizzard/Diary box set. Alan
-
BCR? Never heard of it. Why would I go there? Oh. Yeah. Three or four times, can't remember which. First time was 2006 or 2007 to get the Eclipse. Stopped a couple times on my way through the area - it's hard to pass through without stopping. As long as Greg's there and I've got a few minutes, it's worth 10 minutes or so off the turnpike. It's been pretty much just strings since the first stop, but I always grab something I need (and damn near some things I don't, like that old Gibson amp Greg showed me...). Alan
-
covers that are way better than the originals
alantig replied to DaveL's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Nah - this is THE cover of "I Feel Love" - Blue Man Group with Venus Hum. Put Gilbert in that dress and maybe we'll talk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-ClvcHtK4 Alan -
+1 on the Grace Potter. "One Last Soul" and "Sweet Sista Jane" from Black Country Communion's debut. Plus a couple from their second album (8 months apart). "Carnal Carnival" - Here Come The Mummies. "Goodbye To Romance" guitar and vocal mix - Ozzy. What a great new spin on a classic. "Fuck You" - Cee Lo Green. My first thought was "great - something getting notice just because of the title", but damn if it ain't a catchy song. "Atheists Don't Have No Songs" - Steve Martin And Steep Canyon Rangers. "Charlene II (I'm Over You)" - Stephen Colbert And The Black Belles. Alan
-
Whats the Last 5 Albums you've bought?
alantig replied to bubs_42's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Black Sabbath - "Born Again: Deluxe Edition" Mike Keneally Band - "bakin' at the potato" Ozzy - 30th Anniversary Box Set Queen - "Queen", "Queen II", "Sheer Heart Attack" and "A Night At The Opera" remasters Kate Bush - "Director's Cut: Deluxe Edition" Abba - "Arrival: Deluxe Edition" Alan -
covers that are way better than the originals
alantig replied to DaveL's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
"I've Done Everything For You" - Rick Springfield cover, Sammy Hagar original +1 on Zappa's take on "Stairway", and I'll toss in the unreleased "I Am The Walrus" and Jimmy Swaggart/Beatles medley - Texas Motel (Norwegian Wood)/Louisiana Hooker With Herpes (Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds)/Texas Motel (Strawberry Fields Forever). Walrus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVF66GVj8zU Medley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y59k7AX9AKM "Staying Alive" - Dweezil Zappa w/Ozzy (officially released with Donny Osmond". Michael Hedges' unreleased cover of the Stones' "No Expectations". Alan -
Hah! My ploy worked. Yes she is! Agreed. But who's the chick on the right? Alan
-
Thanks Chris - mine arrived today as well. My wife especially liked the purple celluloid ones, which I'm going to take as meaning I can order more if I want! Alan
-
I PM'd, but didn't realize you were out of town. Alan
-
Television - in the window
-
I have a hakering for a shredder, and I'm thinking about doing a custom-order Rhoads. I tried one before Christmas just to make sure I could live with the shape, but off the rack, they don't have quite the configuration I want. I may look at the first five thing, but they're doing a replica of Randy's white guitar that's way out of my league - $12k+. I don't shred well enough for that! Alan
-
I didn't know that. Still, to me, a Guild isn't a "real" Guild unless it was made in Westerly, RI. That's kinda like saying it's not a "real" Gibson unless it was made in Kalamazoo, or a "real" Fender unless it was made in Fullerton, or a "real" Hamer unless it was made in Arlington Heights...or Wilmette. That's like saying the only real Catwoman is Julie Newmar...or Lee Merriweather...or Eartha Kitt. Alan
-
A perfect reason why Anthrax should be disqualified! The first five inductees from the list: 1- Black Sabbath 2- Judas Priest 3- Iron Maiden 4- Metallica 5- Slayer The ones in the poll: Mercyful Fate Megadeth Helloween Venom Kreator Death Bathory Motorhead Voivod Anthrax I'd expect Mercyful Fate or Megadeth to get it, but I'd go for Motorhead. Incidentally, and I don't remember seeing this mentioned so apologies if it was - while getting caught up on my Guitar Player (I still have three magazines where I'm a year behind), I came across an article about a book that ranks the top metal guitarists of all time, and surprisingly, the number one slot went to Dave Mustaine. Don't recall the reasoning at the moment, but it was a pleasant surprise to see a different name at the top of the list. Alan
-
Brooks - Keneally is using the Jackson and Charvel, and the Rivera rig. The Marshalls are Small's. The bass player is Brian Beller - he's toured with Vai, Keneally (extensively) and was in Z w/Keneally and Dweezil Zappa. Alan
-
Saw the show in Philly on Sunday. The mix for HOF was not great - I didn't hear the vocals at all. Converge's mix was better. Mastodon was great - full "Crack The Skye" album - but Dethklok was awesome. Worth driving across the state for! Alan
-
Learned something new about shipping a guitar
alantig replied to Citrus's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Nah - I'd say well worth when you're shipping ANY guitar you care about. I've been lucky in that my only real shipping damage on a guitar was a dinged case. Could have been much worse, but it's made me rather gun shy about shipping one guitar I have for a warranty look-see. I'm more likely now to just drag it to the factory the next time I go. I'd like to have the issue fixed, but it's far too minor to risk if I can avoid it. Alan -
Budda Superdrive II 18-watt 1x12 combo. Mesa Boogie Mark IV 1x12 widebody combo. Vox Brian May. The little $100 one, not the elite model. Alan
-
I'd Appreciate Your Prayers, Vibes and Thoughts
alantig replied to DavidE's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Good luck and best wishes. It reminds me how silly malfunctioning audio on a computer really is. Alan