Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

velorush

Members
  • Posts

    9,324
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    45

Everything posted by velorush

  1. To me it took about a minute to comprehend what was going on. It's logically laid out and each knob has A function: no menus, no secret sub functions, no bother. I've got one of the original Spark amps, for example, that sounds okay, but I absolutely hate (HATE!) because to do anything with it of any significance, I've got to get out my phone (which I also hate) and connect by Bluetooth. The Screaming Blonde is fantastic in that regard - one function per button (like an AMP) and no menus, no glitches, just dial in what you want.
  2. The 1/4" outs on the Iridium are not TRS (balanced). Maybe I've been running sound too long, but not having XLR outs for me is a deal killer. The guy I mentioned has another box to provide the XLR to run into our board. Just seems an unforced error on the part of Strymon.
  3. I recall watching the Dumblifier video here (last month?) - amazing bit of kit, but (ignorantly) I see that as $100 more for one flavor where the X has three flavors that I am much more familiar with. Again, completely ignorant - maybe Dumble(ish) is the bee's knees, and I'd want for nothing else. The only Dumblesque amps I've ever played were the two Fuchs amps I owned, each of them briefly.
  4. Thanks to the recommendations of the HFC I purchased the Tech21 Screaming Blonde amp simulator pedal for a new project I was invited to join. It has proven to be a fantastic solution to the project's amp-free configuration requirement. I get workable tones, great response to dynamics, a quiet stage and my entire "rig" is a pedalboard. There I was, minding my own business (okay, who am I kidding? I was searching for new gear as always), and happened upon the DSM/Humboldt Simplifier X. We have a guy who regularly substitutes for us on Sundays that uses a Strymon Iridium as his amp "solution," and it sounds great. The Simplifier seems at least as good as the Iridium but with an order of magnitude greater routing and connectivity options (including, importantly, XLR-outs). Is anyone using any of the DSM/Humboldt Simplifier versions? I've watched several videos and just don't see a drawback. At $500 (with Sales Tax) I don't think it would necessarily be five times better than the Screaming Blonde but negating the absolute steal at which I was able to get the SB (thanks to the PSA on the HFC), I do see the possibility it would be twice as good(-ish).
  5. No, you'd be surprised at the posts (not HFC, of course) deriding the mod, 'what a waste of time. I can't tell any difference,' only to find out they keep Volume and Tone persistently on 10. That's fine if that's your thing, but don't expect miracles when you mod something you don't use...
  6. "Secret Tones!" 🙃 #clickbait I posted somewhere (Ask the Experts?) some time back about 50's wiring with the conclusion being modification of my '19 Les Paul Standard to that scheme. I absolutely positively prefer it hands down, BUT, it is not a panacea. For me it works fantastically, but if you don't mess with the Volume or Tone controls (especially Volume), it's of no practical benefit. It does affect how the controls work - the Tone control will have the slightest effect on overall volume and both controls become interactive - but (for me) it makes everything just work better and made the guitar brighter and clearer. I liked it so much I wired my Strat in the 50's scheme, and I will likely persist in wiring anything I'm taking an iron to in that way. It's a really simple switch and equally simple to move back if you don't like it.
  7. Spectacular! If anyone's interested, I couldn't remember the 30/60 spec so I Googled it: Key 30/60 Neck Measurements & Details: Design: A 1960s slim-neck profile with an additional 0.030 inches of depth (front-to-back) added. Depth (Typical): Approx. 0.845" at the 1st fret and 0.907" at the 12th fret. Feel: Thicker than a standard '60s Slim Taper but slimmer than a '50s rounded neck. Nut Width: Generally, 1-11/16". Purpose: Offers a "fast" neck profile with increased mass for better sustain.
  8. Just got back from practice - mine definitely is not. Strat through this is magic* even with me bumbling through the setlist. I would definitely like to try one of the more English types, too. *ETA: I thought about this post last night some hours after making it. "Magic" is a pretty strong term. I should have been more elaborate in my description. I will revise it to say, in the context of a band the Screaming Blonde provides versatile, useful and convincing Fenderesque guitar tones with the incredible benefit of no amp load-in / -out and zero stage volume. The conventional rig to provide what the Blonde approximates (as I am using it) would be a Tweed Twin and a Blackface Twin with an input switcher. I am convinced the incremental cost and logistics of such a rig would not be worth the difference in experience. [/caveats] 😉
  9. I have found late-eighties Peavey guitars and basses to be incredibly well built and incredible values. Really liked the headstocks, too.
  10. Those of you new to the HFC have no idea what an exciting statement this is! The Master of Bubble Wrap is an absolute connoisseur of the best gear and must use it all in a white room as it never appears used at all. I'm snowbound, but giddy and popping popcorn!
  11. Sorry for the ambiguity, but you sussed out exactly what I was asking. Thanks for interpreting and especially for the opinion.
  12. I am absolutely grateful for the prompt received on this board as it coincided with an opportunity to join a project that would have been practically impossible with a conventional amp. This thing works great! I sent the guy a couple of links to used units on Reverb.
  13. Is this deal done? I was trying to help a young guitarist in a church near ours deal with a persistent "it's too loud" issue and tried to send him a link to the Sweetwater listing. Couldn't find it on Sweetwater so I tried the link in the initial post of this thread and got: Sorry, the Tech 21 SansAmp Character Plus - Screaming Blonde is no longer available. We've left this page up for reference only. That's not, "oh, it's back to the original price," that's "yes, we have no bananas." Googling, I didn't find anywhere that was selling them (new) at a discount and found only a couple of outlets at the original price. Did Sweetwater empty the warehouse? To be sure, it's a handy bit of kit, but $99 is a heckovalot easier to swallow than $250.
  14. Wow! That fretboard looks delicious! Great find.
  15. So, I'm not alone? Wow. Will wonders never cease? I mean, I'm glad Run DMC rescued them from certain drug-related death, but just not a fan. I'm fine with the Stones. Not a huge fan, but unlike Aerosmith, I don't typically change the channel when they come on.
  16. I didn't want to start a new thread and this one seems to have wound itself down, so, a follow up on a comment I made early on: I bought a chambered mahogany body on Reverb. I also bought a set of those Hipshot staggered tuners I like so much. The body was in Wisconsin and the tuners were in Philadelphia. The shop owner and I spoke about getting the body out of Wisconsin before the freeze hit - he shipped it right out and it was supposed to be delivered Saturday, just before it set in. The tuners, as best I can tell, are still in Philadelphia, though I am not really concerned about cold affecting the tuners. I am hoping the poly on this Mexican Fender body is flexible enough to handle the change in temperature. I might have this by Wednesday and will likely leave it in the box for a day or so in the house. The plan is the eventually refinish the body, but it would be great to get a proof of concept with the Filtertrons before all that. If all goes well and we eventually thaw out I hope to put the router to it and post some progress pics.
  17. Introduced to the term "horse-shittery" in the first minute or so. ETA: can't argue with any of his list. To my own chagrin, I'd add Geddy Lee. I loves me some Geddy (Rush is my favorite band), but go back and listen to R30 - that was released twenty years ago - even the pirate-themed spoof of "Priests" couldn't hide the inability to hit the notes. To his credit, no one could hit those notes back when he hit those notes (well okay, maybe Jon Anderson), but tuning "The Spirit of Radio" down a half-step still didn't get it. What Ged can do: the new stuff. The fact of the matter is he absolutely can still sing (unlike those on the list). Ged's voice has aged well and the newer stuff that isn't, what was the reviewer's comment back in the 70's? a squirrel caught in a fan? squirrel sucking helium? I really like the more resonant voice on Clockwork Angels and the other later work. Not necessarily better. It's just different.
  18. If it had a Sustain Block I would have bought it rather than posting it! 😏
  19. On that Phantom (not A5), here's one I've been watching on Reverb that just continues to drop in price: https://reverb.com/item/93579023-hamer-usa-phantom-custom-1997-cherry-red Now $1,624.95 ...with case and what a wild top!
  20. As regrettable as going Erlewine might be from a fashion sense, those things actually work very well! Just lock the door, pull them out of the secret drawer, do your business and put them safely away. Remember the converse of 'pics or it didn't happen' is true, as well.
  21. Is that surface mount? Might I suggest?
×
×
  • Create New...