-
Posts
9,324 -
Joined
-
Days Won
45
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by velorush
-
sustain block variations (1978/ 1981)
velorush replied to cornjulio's question in Ask the HFC Experts
Definitely variations (I am a Strat guy, so I'm used to such), but I am convinced the Sustain Block is about the best guitar bridge ever made. Photos of the @hamerhead Sustain Block on the @kizanski' Senior, a 2003 Hamer custom order: A fantastic version (all that dust was mine and not original spec). -
The Cold Stares came up on yesterday's Spotify Release Radar. Never heard of them, but now I can't stop listening. Blues rock trio with just a really good vibe. Evansville, Indiana. Interesting. Enjoy.
-
sustain block variations (1978/ 1981)
velorush replied to cornjulio's question in Ask the HFC Experts
Just for context, @cornjulio, realize Hamerhead knows deeply of what he speaks being someone who produced his own Sustainblock run over 20 years ago. -
Some great help here from @Jimbilly and @Dave Scepter: totally missed the EMG element - definitely need a stereo output jack as the second element serves at the power switch when you plug in. I also (now) recall from my own late 80's use of EMGs that they do not require a ground. The HFC rules, as always!
-
DR. Z / Earthquaker Collaboration
velorush replied to bubs_42's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
EF86! That's too cool AND they went to the effort of providing an actual cab-emulated XLR out! Flawless execution. Really looking forward to a tone report! ETA: 500mA power supply? I'd need a dedicated supply as my Pedal Power has only one 400mA jack and it's powering a delay. -
That was entertaining and she seems perfectly normal about the whole thing. I totally missed the Deftones in the same way my dad missed Hendrix: starting a family and the concerns of a new dad overriding 'keeping up.' It's interesting that my introduction to them was through my son (22) who cites them as his absolutely preferred workout music. If he's lifting, Deftones are definitely on.
-
Yep, those barrels go bad. Simple to replace them. I recall using the Switchcraft replacement, but someone here might have a better suggestion. Amazon.com: Switchcraft 151 1/4-Inch Mono Thick PNL MT Jack : Musical Instruments Once they start giving fits it only gets worse.
-
I'm remembering Heil. Did Electro Harmonix make one? For some reason I'm remembering messing with an EH box back around '82, but it could have been a Heil.
-
NAD: Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 20 deluxe
velorush replied to Jimbilly's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I checked those out way back when Lerxst was running H&K's (Snakes & Arrows?). I had no interest in the 100w version, but these seemed to get the sound without blowing out windows. -
Researching all things Plexi: suggestions wanted
velorush replied to Travis's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
The college bar we hung out at in the '80's was a dance club in a strip center, but they decided at some point to expand into the unoccupied space next door. They knocked a door through the wall and set up a stage for harder rock / metal. They brought in great bands from Memphis and Nashville, and it seemed the requirement to load in was at least one Marshall stack per guitarist and they were being run like you said, cranked until they got the sound. I've never had the privilege of plugging into a real one but was deafened many a night by those guys. Great times and great tones! -
Can you name them in one note?
velorush replied to Saul Goodman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Listening in the shower through a cranked iPhone, I didn't do well at all. I was able to get EVH and SRV. I got out of the shower just as he was starting to go over them and I recognized Gilmour without all the white noise. He could have played the entire UK album and I might have eventually guessed Holdsworth - just not something I've listened to. Amazing chops and I understand the influence on EVH but it's just not my thing. -
what did you bring home in 2025? (NHC)
velorush replied to Jimbilly's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Quick! Somebody warn @diablo175 to stay away from the thread: this thing has THREE blade switches. He might not recover! ETA: beautiful guitar! -
Amazing playing, especially considering he is obviously suffering from Digitalis Bratwurstus Giganticus!
- 1 reply
-
- 4
-
-
I've been on a 335 variant quest for several years. I got close on one of the new Gibson plant guitars but the neck measurements seem to be all over the place and rarely are the actual measurements disclosed ("rounded C," gee, thanks...). One of the reasons I follow @currypowder on Reverb is he (you) are always great to disclose the weight and neck measurement. I agree that M3 is fantastic, but like @Jakeboy, the screw holes and humbuckers kill it for me.
-
That is a great memory, but I was being sarcastic after recalling a post on the 'Al Jarreau IBS' thread. Turned out for the better then. 🙂
-
Easy: I'll add this just because @kizanski is such a Jarreau fan:
-
Bias, Cold vs Hot vs Correct. Can you hear the difference?
velorush replied to Saul Goodman's question in Ask the HFC Experts
Not too difficult to check it. I bought one of these years ago making it super easy: https://www.eurotubes.com/product/bias-probe-head-only/ $30 for an Octal unit. The EL84 is $57, but I've never had an EL84 amp that wasn't Cathode Biased. -
Hamer, The Most Undervalued Guitar, Shane Theriot.
velorush replied to Saul Goodman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
SHHHHHHH! -
Hamer Guitar Value - is this the right place to ask?
velorush replied to jer_vic's question in Ask the HFC Experts
No idea of price, but that's spectacular! I really like the PTB circuit, as well. I wired an iteration of my partscaster with PTB and everyone that tried it asked why all guitars weren't wired that way. Fantastic for playing in a band setting. -
eMpTV Is Dead. As In Really, Really Dead
velorush replied to crunchee's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
The Hawthorne Effect. Studied it in nerd school. I went to college the second year of MTV and it was a constant staple in the fraternity house. For me it was a chance to see people playing instruments (or typically pretending to do so). My introduction to MTV coincided with my introduction to "the rest of music," i.e., not-Lynyrd-Skynyrd-or-Bob-Seger-or-38-Special-etc. and it was mind blowing. So much different music! Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I left college around the time MTV left their original MO, so it worked out great. I still enjoy the original VJays on XM 80's. Fond memories.